WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long do the resin bezel and straps on g-shocks last? Is there anything I can use to lengthen their lifespan?

·
Banned
2,906 Posts
From the FAQ:
https://www.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=330290

In short, keep out of too much sunlight and acid. Even shorter: Don't wear it unless you're a vampire. Already dead, thus not sweating and never in the sun. :D It also says keeping it in a vacuum will increase it's life.

Given that extra straps and bezels are readily available that's what I'd do if I were really worried.

If you wanted to get one for investment purposes, you could take out the battery (to prevent leakage) and then seal it in a vacuum jar in the dark. That would be the best course of action in theory.

That said, when you see 1983 G-Shocks in auction, they often look still pretty good with no resin rot visible even if they have been worn.

I have a yellow 6630. The case darkened a bit. The bracelet is still as flexible and the same color as when I bought it in 1995/96.

Till

Reactions: WillyLix

·
Registered
13,980 Posts
Hi,
just wear it and forget about it. The ones lasting the longest are often the ones that get the crap beaten out of them. Storing dry and dark might not be the best option. Flexing and bending keeps the strap soft and flexible. Remember that cracking noise that panties make when stretched that were forgotten at the bottom of the drawer :-d? Wearing and not worrying too much is the best you can do. If it rots after 20 years I don't care - when I can get replacement parts - fine - if not I'll simply buy a new one - hopefully Casio will still produce G-Shocks then.

Greetings, Sedi :)

·
Registered
596 Posts
The only G-Shock I have had that truly suffered rot was my old G-2000 that I gave in mint condition to the father-in-law. He managed to keep the watch on his wrist, due to parkinsons and not being able to remove it, most of the time through some harsh activities.

Hammering (smacking the watch usually), painting (including wiping the watch down with thinners afterwards), showering (washing the watch with soap), changing a petrol tank (petrol all over the watch), welding his old car (UV light and heat) and the list goes on.

It still wasn't that bad to be fair but as you can tell from the above, it's usually the chemicals and exposure to strong UV light that causes the resin to harden and rot.

On the otherhand, one of my most supple bezels is one that I soaked in goof-off nearly a year ago.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Some seem worse than others. Guess casio must've played with the formulation of their resin over the years. Have a couple of DW-5300 and you can see some dulling due to the resin rotting (I assume) in some way everytime I remove them from the drawer.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Every 5th or sixth time I wear one of my resin Gs, I rinse them thoroughly and then spay some 303 Aerospace Protectant on them. It might be a bit of overkill, but I bought them because I like them and would like to keep them as nice looking as possible for as long as I can. The 303 also provides some UV protection which should slow down the rotting process.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I don't worry about rot or deterioration as much as I don't like when the edges of the resin bezel and strap start to get "shiny" from wear & tear. I prefer the all-matte look. When they start to gloss up, time to throw on a fresh bezel and band.

That's one of the great things about G-Shocks. How many watches can you think of that take day-to-day bumps and bruises with ease, and yet are so easy and cheap to restore to like-new appearance?

Cheers,

Dave

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
Try rubbing the shiny areas with an eraser - it can be very effective.

·
Banned
2,906 Posts
Try rubbing the shiny areas with an eraser - it can be very effective.
Exactly what I thought. Or a very low-abrasion sand paper. I imagine that would work well and is cheaper than replacing the bezel and strap.

Till

·
Registered
243 Posts
Every 5th or sixth time I wear one of my resin Gs, I rinse them thoroughly and then spay some 303 Aerospace Protectant on them. It might be a bit of overkill, but I bought them because I like them and would like to keep them as nice looking as possible for as long as I can. The 303 also provides some UV protection which should slow down the rotting process.

+1
I do exactly the same.:-!

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
I did my homework on this very topic about a year ago, I use Vinylex protectant, plastic, rubber and resin restorer, it doesn't have any petroleum distilates in it which rot rubber, resin and plastic. It also has a special DH60 UV protectant in it, keeps your G's looking like new year round. I usually spray them down with it, let it sit on them for a few minutes, then wipe it off, once a month. Comes in a light blue spray bottle.|>

·
Registered
345 Posts
Hello to all.

I am going with member "rutteger" and think too that Casio may have played around with the formula for the resin over the years.

I used to have a lot of different G-Shocks and still have a few.
Most of them were bought by me new when they came out.
I really USED all my watches and did not care about them, cause they are G-Shocks, this was the reason I bought them - to have a watch which I would not have any fear to damage it.

But finally after years of use some bezels nicely crumbled to little pieces from one day to another :oops: :

WW-5300 / module 491 - bought in 1985

- bezel cracked by resin rot in 2004

- strap (sorry, I do not have the number) cracked by resin rot in 2005

DW-5600 / module 691 - bought in 1989:

- bezel and strap were still fine when I sold the watch this year (2010), definitely no signs of resin rot.

DW-5600 / module 901 - bought in 1991:

- bezel cracked by resin rot in 2007

- strap (141F6) still in good condition, no signs of resin rot

DW-5600 / module 901 - bought in 1995

- bezel cracked by resin rot in 2006

- strap (141F7 / 141F8) still in good condition, no signs of resin rot

I used to have a AW-500 / module 380, but lost this watch in the 90ies while swimming in the Gulf of Mexico - maybe the strap cracked because of resin rot, or maybe it was a broken spring-bar, I do not know, the watch seemed fine to me all the years and I bet it is still running strong on the bottom of the ocean :-!.

Last year I found a used AW-500 with module 380 in visible good condition, and in a sentimental mood I bought it and was happy to have one again, but:

- bezel looked fine when I got the watch but cracked by resin rot during cleaning.

- inside of the strap (278H1) was already partially cracked by resin rot when I got the watch.

I also used to have the following G-Shocks which had not a problem at all during the years I owned them - they had no signs of resin rot when I sold them between 2007 and 2009:

DW-5900
DW-6100
DW-6200
DW-6500
DW-6600
DW-6700
DW-6800

Hope this was of any interest for this interesting topic - the famous Casio resin rot on vintage G-Shocks :roll:

But I really think it´s nothing to fear about as long as there are spare bezels and straps available.
Okay, maybe not for a DW-5500, but who has one anyway :-d

Thanks for reading and greetings from Germany

sharpie

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
Hope this was of any interest for this interesting topic - the famous Casio resin rot on vintage G-Shocks :roll:
Yes, it was of interest. |>

Especially that straps seem to hold up better than bezels. You would think it would be the other way round.

·
Registered
227 Posts
How long do the resin bezel and straps on g-shocks last? Is there anything I can use to lengthen their lifespan?
The oldest G I have is from 1998, and the bezel has zero issues besides normal wear and tear after 12 years. The watchband, however, rotted out very badly and I replaced it last year with a new one.

·
Registered
942 Posts
I am not too worried about my watches resin parts wearing out - by the time any rot sets in my watches should be a good few years old, and by that time probably deserve a replacement bezel to keep them smart, or even a new watch if the watch itself has taken enough of a beating.

Things like watch bands I look at like batteries - a disposable part that will wear out after a certain length of time, and just part of the cost of a watch.

·
Banned
2,906 Posts
I am not too worried about my watches resin parts wearing out - by the time any rot sets in my watches should be a good few years old, and by that time probably deserve a replacement bezel to keep them smart, or even a new watch if the watch itself has taken enough of a beating.

Things like watch bands I look at like batteries - a disposable part that will wear out after a certain length of time, and just part of the cost of a watch.
Same here. But at least that point clearly goes to metal or composite bracelets. Usually no durability issues there. Sometimes the links or connections wear out but that would be over ten years of daily wear. On high price watches it makes sense to go with a metal band from the start and add a leather strap as an extra. I often change my watches to leather for the winter and in the summer I will wear the metal bracelet. Makes for a nice change of looks so things don't get boring and I get really good mileage out of the leather straps which can be darn expensive. A leather strap that is worn daily is good for about two years. Resin looks much better in that regard. It's the cost-per-wear winner, I suppose.

Till

·
Registered
8 Posts
I heard from somewhere you can restore/repair the resin or similar type of rubber by putting the bezel in hot water bath for a while. It will restore the flexibility and bonding. Some people put it in the cup of water and in the microwave few mins.

I used to do this on my RC Car tyres after prolong storage they starts to show cracks feel brittle so before I used them I put it in the microwave (in cup of water) to restore the flex.

this may be related but some other articles on the net might explain better
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7830199

·
Registered
190 Posts
I did my homework on this very topic about a year ago, I use Vinylex protectant, plastic, rubber and resin restorer, it doesn't have any petroleum distilates in it which rot rubber, resin and plastic. It also has a special DH60 UV protectant in it, keeps your G's looking like new year round. I usually spray them down with it, let it sit on them for a few minutes, then wipe it off, once a month. Comes in a light blue spray bottle.|>
I think I may get this. But I'm assuming the wipes would be better than the spray?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts