WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts
but I have seen in many treads about resint rot after some years of use, plus I had curiositiy if there is a diference on glossy vs no glossy models on that aspect.

by the way if exposure to the sun accelerates the process, then the solar based ones will rot sooner?

I'm the latest to have this 'resin rot' but seem to have saved my G-shock just in time.

A couple of days ago I looked back over my old watches and the whole of my G-shock DW-9051 and the strap of my Casio JC-30 were really sticky to the touch (both have been stored not being worn for about 9 years in not damp conditions and I washed them both after the last time I wore them), I decided to give them a wash but while I was washing them the strap and sweat back of the JC-30 completely disintegrated in my hand, I set the G-shock out to dry but later when I came back it still looked wet (like it was greasy) and was now even stickier to the touch.
I took the strap off (so I could get in all the nooks) and gave the watch another bath this time giving it a much harder rub with the nail brush I was using, set it out to dry again and this time both parts seem to be aOK now, the case still does have a little flex in it and the strap can be bent as normal.

So all in all I think I have just caught the resin rot in my G-shock just in time, I dread to think what could have happened if I hadn't got them out for another 6 months/year, this breakdown must have happened in the past year as I took them out to look at last summer and don't remember anything untoward back then.
Going forward I'm going to store the body and straps separately as the 'rot' on the JC-30 was much worse where the strap and sweat back was in contact with each other, but I'm going to keep them apart more as more of a 'what if' precaution.

I do wonder if this breakdown in the resin can cause skin irritation in some people, I had to stop wearing both watches because both would make my skin red and then itch, even handling them yesterday made the tips of my fingers itch, the hard plastic of the JC-30s case doesn't seem to cause any irritation (and also doesn't break down) but the soft resins of the straps and the G-shock case do. (this is why I only wear all metal watches now as there is no irritation)

Also with those two watches I had a Casio ABX-53 (google search pic) this came on a cloth strap which I replaced with a generic non Casio resin strap and this had no signs of resin rot so I wonder if this resin rot is a Casio only 'defect'? as the ABX-53 is a few years older then the other two and has been looked after and gone through the same sort of use before I also stopped wearing it.

My downfall was buying a Real Black 8400 Mudman, i like it entirely too much and am always worried about it's lifespan. Luckily i was just able to pick up a spare band and bezel for it and asked the seller what i may do to keep the spares in top condition until they are needed down the road. He made the recommendation to keep them in a sealed environment with Silica pack or two, seemed like a sharp idea to me.

what is the easiest/ most affordable container that would maintain a vacuum over time, or is that unnecessary?

Should i get hit the spares with vinylex before they go in storage or do you guys think they will be better off on their own?

Remember that cracking noise that panties make when stretched that were forgotten at the bottom of the drawer :-d?
How are the stiff crackly panties doing these days Sedi? OMG could u have found a better comparison lol :rolleyes:

But might check out said spray, get into good habits etc.
Sent through Tapatalk on HTCs Desire.

Wow... I hadn't heard of anybody recovering their band and bezel after it started getting gooey. Most of the time resin rot is like "dry rot", similar to what happens with wood. The resin becomes stiff, gets a whitish haze on the outside, and then will crumble with normal stressing.

Anyway, the empirical evidence with older G-Shocks is that certain models were very susceptible to resin rot (like the DW-5300 and older DW-6600), while others show only the slightest of erosion if at all. The ones that really failed didn't need sun exposure to make it happen, although sunlight probably accelerated it.

UV rays and high heat are the enemy of resin. The good thing is that more recent G-Shock watches have a better formulated resin. At least, this is what appears to be the case, and is easy to believe given the high tech world of resins and plastics having made significant advances in the past 10 years.

My downfall was buying a Real Black 8400 Mudman, i like it entirely too much and am always worried about it's lifespan. Luckily i was just able to pick up a spare band and bezel for it and asked the seller what i may do to keep the spares in top condition until they are needed down the road. He made the recommendation to keep them in a sealed environment with Silica pack or two, seemed like a sharp idea to me.

what is the easiest/ most affordable container that would maintain a vacuum over time, or is that unnecessary?

Should i get hit the spares with vinylex before they go in storage or do you guys think they will be better off on their own?
Spare resin shouldn't need to be treated at all, just kept in a dark place with normal temps and humidity (not too dry, not too wet). I wouldn't worry about putting it in a vacuum container or even put Silica packs in with them. I would think that lack of moisture would be worse than too much. Very dry conditions leech moisture from everything, and whatever composition of resin that gives it that "soft" quality might be harmed by too much dry.

I recently unearthed an old GW-1500 that I had forgotten about. It had the first signs of resin rot (the white, powdery coating on the band). It's not surprising, as it wasn't clean when it was put away and hadn't really been taken care of.

I cleaned the entire watch thoroughly with soap and water, then I cleaned/treated the resin parts with this stuff. It actually seems to have helped, but I think it's really too soon to tell. The label says it's designed for rubber and leather bands. <shrugs> Worth a shot, right?

(I will say that I've been using Veraet's "Watch Spray" to clean my watches for quite some time, and it's pretty great.)

I've bought quite a few "junk" lots off Yahoo japan and you get a mixed bag - dead batteries, missing bezels and the rest - I've had 2 which have totally disintegrated when I touched them - one was a DW-003 and the other a DW-6600 - but luckily Tiktox sell new bezels for the 6600 so I got a new one. It was sticky to the touch when I got the watch originally so I washed it thinking it had been in something - but then as mentioned above it fell apart (when I was drying it oddly enough) in great chunks and small bits almost like it was brittle. I doubt anything could have saved it. The DW-003 is still naked obviously so will probably be left on one side until either I see one or I think of a use for it.

Speaking of resin rot, I saw a shot of a DW-5600C in near mint condition, except for a resin bezel with classic rot dust on it:

Watch Stopwatch Technology Electronic device Timer

What's the prognosis on this one? To me, it looks like all it needs is a good cleaning and soaking in some restoration product of some kind. Or, is it more or less brittle at this point? I wouldn't dare take it off the watch, if I owned it. But, I do wonder if there's enough intact to save it from further decay.

Speaking of resin rot, I saw a shot of a DW-5600C in near mint condition, except for a resin bezel with classic rot dust on it:

View attachment 726042

What's the prognosis on this one? To me, it looks like all it needs is a good cleaning and soaking in some restoration product of some kind. Or, is it more or less brittle at this point? I wouldn't dare take it off the watch, if I owned it. But, I do wonder if there's enough intact to save it from further decay.
I've only had two keepers rot away on me and both of them looked fine until I washed and cleaned them up. I have had quite a few vintage G-Shocks with what you call the rot dust, I've washed them up and they have been fine since. I don't think that dust is anything to do with the rot; I don't know what it is though.

I was quite sad when the button of my MINK Mudman cracked earlier this week, while I changed the battery. See 50 Gs.

Wow, sorry to see such a nice old beauty start to fall apart on you, Sjors. The bezel cracked, the light button fell apart, and then the EL backlight stopped working. I wonder, if there's any chance that with the button damage that it has affected its travel. Maybe the contact is not getting touched properly? From what I understand about the design, the EL backlight shouldn't suddenly go dead. AFAIK, it should fade over time as it ages.

I've only had two keepers rot away on me and both of them looked fine until I washed and cleaned them up. I have had quite a few vintage G-Shocks with what you call the rot dust, I've washed them up and they have been fine since. I don't think that dust is anything to do with the rot; I don't know what it is though.
Interesting to hear this, psweeting. I've seen the white dust described as signs of the "weakener" that Sjors talked about in his blog, leeching out of the resin. It may be just the early signs of it, so the resin would still be pliable, but heading towards that point of eventually getting stiff and crumbling. Otherwise, it sounds like after this the rot is a "silent killer". Everything looks fine. You pick up the watch and decide to wipe the resin clean of dust and start to notice little black flecks on the white cloth--the resin starts coming off in your hands.

Well, just got my first experience with resin rot. From what I've read, it can happen primarily in three ways: turning to a gooey mess, crumbling into pieces when flexed, or hairline cracking until whole chunks fall off.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Strap Fashion accessory

I just picked up a DW-5700ML that was unfortunately represented with slightly blurry photos so it wasn't possible to make out the hairlines. The bezel doesn't look bad from a distance, but upon close examination there are several small cracks and one rather large crack. On the larger one, I could actually lift up the resin a few millimeters. I expected it would've cracked off, but it's still slightly pliable. Very strange. I'm now thinking that maybe some adhesive could be used to fill in the cracks, something like an epoxy resin with a thinner consistency than typical glue (so it can seep into the cracks). After stabilizing and sealing the existing cracks, the next task would be to try some kind of resin restorer in hopes of softening up the intact resin so that it won't crack. But a number of people who have owned vintage G-Shocks have said once resin rot starts, it doesn't stop. Bummer.

Plastic whose softeners have evaporated can not be restored - the products just won´t seep in. You can, however, stabilize teh status quo andf to some extend stop or slow the process by using plastic care products. TZhey shield teh resin from UV rays (a bit, at least) and , as they form a film on the surface, will slow further evaporation.

If you just want to keep a watch as a piece of a collection, sometimes you can glue the parts togetehr with cyanacrylate based glue.

I would not remove a bezel in uncertain condition, clean it cautiously and maybe use a vynil/plastic protectant.

Has anyone used the said Veraet on their G-Shocks?
I did get one bottle just to try it ... its good stuff for cleaning probably ... but cant see any positive affect on the old bezels and bands ...
I can be wrong ... but not worth the money. IMO Vinylex is the best as of right now. If someone have a better way (or stuff) to take care of the vinage G's ... please let me know. Thanks.

I did get one bottle just to try it ... its good stuff for cleaning probably ... but cant see any positive affect on the old bezels and bands ...
I can be wrong ... but not worth the money. IMO Vinylex is the best as of right now. If someone have a better way (or stuff) to take care of the vinage G's ... please let me know. Thanks.
Thanks for the info. I guess I'll hold off a bit then. BTW....have you used the Vinylex on your G-shocks? I noticed it had a sunscreen in it and, for some reason, I thought I read where that wasn't the best thing for G's.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.