WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have saved up enough for a watch I’ve wanted for awhile. However, I have to wait until one pops up for sale, which isn’t that often. In the meantime, I have to fight the urge to give into an impulse buy, just to satiate the illness .

However, I know that once I give in, the watch I really want will pop up, and I’ll have spent the money.

How do you ladies and gentlemen resist the urge to settle, and give into an impulse buy while you await for that watch you really want?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,610 Posts
The discovery of Seiko vintage watches has helped me curb my several thousand dollar rolex, omega purchases. It really just depends on what works for you. Get that watch!

·
Registered
815 Posts
I’ve found a few places where I can place an order and then cancel after a couple days. Weird how just knowing I COULD have it, scratches the itch just as much as owning it. I also enjoy cancelling the order, feeling like I did something good, haha.

I also get the yay or nay from the girlfriend on new watches. She’ll try to talk me out of unnecessary purchases but also has really good taste. Sometimes I realize how ridiculous I sound when I’m telling someone else I want to casually “pick up” a new watch that costs $2,500... At this point the collection is up over six figures, so restraint is necessary.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Just wait. Think about how many times you've settled, just to end up disappointed. Maybe there were a few instances where it turned out good bet it's a low percentage.

·
Registered
15,441 Posts
what's the point of buying yet another watch if it means i'll wear my current watches fewer times.
If it won't affect how often I wear my current watches, why should I get something new?

Reactions: BarracksSi

·
Registered
159 Posts
I keep circling the Rolex Yachtmaster, but cannot bring myself to spend that much on a watch yet. I came close last week, but wound up settling for a new Tudor Black Bay dark... so hopefully next time I just get what I want :)

·
Registered
562 Posts
The only watch that will meet your requirements is the only watch want.

If you use the money you have to settle for something else, sure you might enjoy it, but as soon as the 'grail watch' pop-ups somewhere, you will want to have it.

This isn't necessarily true for a watch you might buy in order to settle, which might be one that will be forgotten after a while.

·
Registered
15,919 Posts
I had to give in to the urge for a few dozen times (and pay the price on the flips) till I learned not to do that and since then I've been just fine, ymmv . . .

·
Registered
15,190 Posts
Look at the image of the desired watch everyday, at every opportunity.
Have it up as a screensaver, etc.

If you still go "schwing" every time, even after a few weeks, get it.
But you might also find the "schwing" factor diminishing after a while.

I have lusted furiously after many a watch, and applied the method I recommended above,
only to see the once-raging stiffness of my concupiscence go slowly flaccid after a while.

Puh-raize da Lawd! for savin' me from bouts of my own temporary insanity.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
I am going through the same thing. I moved some pieces to get a watch but the one I tried on sold and now I have to wait 4-8 weeks for one and 3 months for the other. So I have no watches right now except for a precious metal dress watch which is only for special occasions.

I am tempted to buy something now but I know I will regret it. I was going to buy a smart watch to tide me over but even then I need to wait until the Gear S4 or Apple Watch series 4 is announced in September. So I am stuck without a watch for now. My wrist feels naked.

In my case, I could have waited until both watches were in before moving the other two. I learned my lesson.

In your case, you just have to tough it out man. I feel your pain.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Put up a WTB post. You'll never know if you dont try.

·
Registered
5,389 Posts
I have saved up enough for a watch I’ve wanted for awhile. However, I have to wait until one pops up for sale, which isn’t that often. In the meantime, I have to fight the urge to give into an impulse buy, just to satiate the illness .

However, I know that once I give in, the watch I really want will pop up, and I’ll have spent the money.

How do you ladies and gentlemen resist the urge to settle, and give into an impulse buy while you await for that watch you really want?

It's not easy Rob. How it works is you do impulse buys and then lose money on the flip, after a few of those your buying impulses will be few and far between :)

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
what's the point of buying yet another watch if it means i'll wear my current watches fewer times.
If it won't affect how often I wear my current watches, why should I get something new?
A great quote indeed. I’ve pinned it at my study table soft board to read whenever I’m tempted by Satan towards greed of owning another masterpiece watch! I pray it serves it’s purpose well. Amen.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts