WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow, what a pain in the nuts that was! I got a new SSC019 Solar Diver Chrono and I was to impatient to wait to see the jeweler, so I dove into resizing the bracelet myself.

If you've never been unfortunate enough to have to resize a bracelet with Seiko's pin and collar system, count your blessings. It really is annoying. Seiko should include a half dozen extra pins and a half dozen extra collars with every watch. Between dropping those microscopic collars on the floor and bending the heck out of the pins I would have appreciated a few spares.

That all said, after a good hour or more I did succeed and the watch now fits perfectly. The watch repair/jeweler would have charged me $8.50, and at that price it's 50/50 on whether or not I just wait and take it to him next time.

So not really much of any importance to post. I just wanted some place to curse the Seiko name and their pin and collar system, vent my frustration, and in the end pat myself on the back.

Thanks for listening.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
I've done quite a few Seiko's and Tag Heuer I might add can be a challenge also. My best advice for those who undertake the task is to have a good screw type pin pusher and............ A large well lit level and clean work space. As the OP has stated the collars in the Seiko bracelets are very small.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Resizing a Seiko Pin & Collar Bracelet

You must see this coming, no? So come on. Think before you do. Never just dive into it, you might break your neck and become an invalid (no patting your back ever again). Resized some 8 Seikos without a hitch.
Tip 1 - work on a white cloth (pins don't bounce around when they drop, spotted easily)
Tip 2 - use a modest 10 bucks watchmakers kit.
Tip 3 - actually use the tools in it...

And bending the pins?? I mean, put the collar in, turn the bracelet over (yes put a piece of tape on it first, yes you had that sized and up for grabs) connect and just drop the pin in. Hammer it home ( yes gently). It will drop in about 3/4 so how can you bend it?
If you are a klutz and you lose the collar... put transparent tape on it at the inside (or any material that you can remove easily - put on your thinking cap again) as well as at the outside. The pin will punch through no problem. There, did some thinking for ya.

·
Registered
621 Posts

Really helps to use a hands free lighted magnifying headset (so you can see what you're doing)

Don't use the all metal jeweler's hammer to tap pins back in

Use the plastic tipped hammer instead, wont mar the edges of your bracelet links

DAMHIK=:)

here's an inexpensive lighted eye loupe (about $4)

but IMO, the head set is easiest to use

this bracelet kit can be had for little dinero on Amazon, or eBay

I think it was $5 shipped

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.
If we are what we eat, I'm cheap, fast and easy!

·
Premium Member
73,660 Posts
If you think the Seiko pin & collar system is a pain best not get involved with the one Chris Ward uses on the C60.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I did my Turtle pin/collar bracelet few days ago. Im away from my home and all I use only paper clip (different sizes) and side cutter. Its took me about 20 minutes. No missed/bent parts.

Anyone belives pin/collar Seiko bracelet is a Pita to resize, should never touch his/her watch/bracelet for any mods (including resizing), but use jeweler instead. It will save you time and money.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I resize pin and collar bracelets while sitting on a smooth wood laminate floor. Never on a table where the collar can fling away or fall into oblivion. Or worse yet, a table over carpet. I made that mistake once lol.

The tools that shakin_jake posted above are what I use. Cheap and effective.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Most Seiko pins have not given me a problem until I came across the ones in the Sumo. It was crazy. The collar is on one side of the bracelet and the pin comes out the other end. So opposite ends.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I just resize my bracelet on the train or plain, whatever seems like a good idea. I used a newspaper once as my only tool. So, yeah. There you go.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I just resize my bracelet on the train or plain, whatever seems like a good idea. I used a newspaper once as my only tool. So, yeah. There you go.
Man, you are genius. And yes, newspaper isthe only tool you could use on the plane. Good job )

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Most Seiko pins have not given me a problem until I came across the ones in the Sumo. It was crazy. The collar is on one side of the bracelet and the pin comes out the other end. So opposite ends.
If we're talking "Pin & collar", isn't that what we're referring to? I thought they're always on opposite ends, as opposed to split-pins, which consist of a single pin that comes out one end. The pin & collar setup is the same on monster/turtle bracelets too, if I'm not wrong.

Reactions: vladg

·
Registered
246 Posts
nah some seiko bracelets have pin and collar that drop out of the same end. bfk does that. and judging by the pictures above, i see the correct surface for this endeavor is the top of a krispy kreme box. i agree with that, and believe that OP's major mistake was to attempt the exercise sans donuts.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I really wanted to resize my srp777 but since I paid a premium for the watch and bracelet at the AD, they got to do it. Multiple times as well. If I had a pile of watches with the pin/collar systems I would look into a press/driver tool as the Seiko S-926 or similar. Spendy but lickity split.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
nah some seiko bracelets have pin and collar that drop out of the same end. bfk does that. and judging by the pictures above, i see the correct surface for this endeavor is the top of a krispy kreme box. i agree with that, and believe that OP's major mistake was to attempt the exercise sans donuts.
Had no idea, thanks for clearing that up.

I'm with ya on the donuts :D

Reactions: bwoah

·
Registered
600 Posts
Resizing a Seiko Pin & Collar Bracelet

Got this here from another post a while back. Having the correct pin pusher is key. Pusher has to be able to go through collar, the common china tool does not. My Bergeron one worked perfect. Hope this helps. Not to hard after you fig it out or done it a few times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
621 Posts
I really wanted to resize my srp777 but since I paid a premium for the watch and bracelet at the AD, they got to do it. Multiple times as well. If I had a pile of watches with the pin/collar systems I would look into a press/driver tool as the Seiko S-926 or similar. Spendy but lickity split.

~~~there is absolutely nothing wrong with letting an AD, or a mall kiosk size your watch band for you, so long as they actually know what they are doing. That said, we've read here on the forum, time and again, both AD's and mall watch battery technicians at mall kiosks, F'ing up Seiko dive bracelets. Speaking strictly for myself, if anyone is going to damage my watch band, it's going to be me=:) but on a more serious note, I think I'm speaking for most here when I say the reason we size our own watch bands is because we can do it on our own time table

At the risk of getting OT, back in the mid 70's when I bought my first motorcycle and was faced with having to deal with a flat tire, I took it upon myself to R&R the tube (spoked wheel/tube type tire) to patch. I had no idea I didn't know what I was doing but fast forward to this past spring when faced with re-sizing my Sumo watch band, somehow, like that first motorcycle tube repair, I got the job done. Admittedly, both were fraught with mistakes, but that's how some of us learn=:)

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts