WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can't remember where, but I feel like I've read that the Trident bracelet is hard to resize. Is that other owners' experience? I had them size mine (wasted $10) and I just went too small, even with the ratchet adjustments.

I have the link and have adjusted other bracelets, but if it's going to be a struggle, or likely to lead to scratching or damaging the links, maybe I'd just take it in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
718 Posts
I just did a sizing of one for the first time. Definitely not the easiest I've done, but with patience it's certainly doable.

Reactions: JimWharton

·
Registered
23 Posts
I know your struggle. I did find an "easier" way to do it, and after you get them out once they are easier to manage. I bought a cheap watch kit from Amazon years ago for $9 (https://www.amazon.com/SE-JT6221-16-Piece-Watch-Repair/dp/B000T9VK56/ref=sr_1_1?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1490870840&sr=1-1&nodeID=7141123011&psd=1&keywords=se+JT6221) that had some of bracelet push pins in different sizes and with a little balanced force they pop out easy. Use both hands and the moderate sized pusher and you will have enough girth to get them out and still be narrow enough it won't slip out if you're off balance. I actually think putting them back in, is more difficult.

IMG_2268.JPG

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content
IMG_2269.JPG

·
Registered
372 Posts
It's not difficult at all with the right tools. I used the hammer and pin (exactly like in the above picture) and a plastic holder method and it worked like a charm. These are not expansive tools at all.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, re-adding the link was ridiculously easy after all...but I noticed I've scratched up my lugs a little taking the bracelet on and off. Need to develop a better technique.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
Hi Jim,

My best advice for removing or installing spring bars / bracelets or straps has a couple important points. Aside from trying to protect the case by using tape (which I have never done) you need a decent spring bar tool and lastly, do the job like you mean it. Once you have a good contact with the flange on the spring bar use a sufficient amount of pressure and force to compress and remove /install it.

When I began tinkering years ago my worst experiences with various bracelets or straps were the result of being way to gentle. The thinking is that one must be gentle or you may damage the lugs. In my own experience I found that scratches generally occur as the result of repeated attempts when just one good secure but strong attempt was needed.

Next time clamp your case (if you have a good holder / vise) and then once on the flange pry that thing out like you mean it. When installing the new strap etc. use the same approach.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I agree with Ard about being assertive especially with solid end links...although minor lug scratching doesn't bother me much on the underside. You're going to get back case abrasions over the years anyway. If for some reason you went rogue and tried to force them in from the top of the case then you'd have bigger problems.

Hi Jim,

My best advice for removing or installing spring bars / bracelets or straps has a couple important points. Aside from trying to protect the case by using tape (which I have never done) you need a decent spring bar tool and lastly, do the job like you mean it. Once you have a good contact with the flange on the spring bar use a sufficient amount of pressure and force to compress and remove /install it.

When I began tinkering years ago my worst experiences with various bracelets or straps were the result of being way to gentle. The thinking is that one must be gentle or you may damage the lugs. In my own experience I found that scratches generally occur as the result of repeated attempts when just one good secure but strong attempt was needed.

Next time clamp your case (if you have a good holder / vise) and then once on the flange pry that thing out like you mean it. When installing the new strap etc. use the same approach.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, they're top of case. When I tried to install from below, the end links clicked in with a gap. The only way I could get them flush was to install from the top.

·
Registered
23 Posts
If they aren't deep you could probably polish them out fairly easy with Cape Cod Cloths. I've never tried, so I'd wait to see if someone else will chime in. I would assume you'd want to take the lugs back off. I don't believe you want that stuff anywhere near a brushed surface.

·
Premium Member
71,213 Posts
I found it a proper PITA. The Trident uses a pin and collar system but unlike Seikos the collars are about a Yard long and grip the pins like mad. Having broken a cheap punch and equally high quality springbar tool on one I recommend the use of a decent quality punch on these bracelets.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I just purchased like new Trident from a WUS member and I will be receiving it shortly. I thought the bracelet had screws but obviously it's pin and collars. Hopefully the current adjustment is ok and I will be good. If not I have a pin press that has worked on some stubborn bracelets in the past. Also, I was wondering why you have to take the watch head off from the bracelet can't you just disconnect from one side of the clasp? Or is that another issue with the Trident.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just purchased like new Trident from a WUS member and I will be receiving it shortly. I thought the bracelet had screws but obviously it's pin and collars. Hopefully the current adjustment is ok and I will be good. If not I have a pin press that has worked on some stubborn bracelets in the past. Also, I was wondering why you have to take the watch head off from the bracelet can't you just disconnect from one side of the clasp? Or is that another issue with the Trident.

I also used a very cheap pin press and it worked like a charm. No trouble at all.

The scratches on my lugs are a separate issue relate to switching from sailcloth, to rubber, to bracelet. They all look so good, but I need to up my game on the switches.

·
Registered
23 Posts
You could take it apart at the clasp if you wanted, at the micro adjustment. Didn't try the other end.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I also used a very cheap pin press and it worked like a charm. No trouble at all.

The scratches on my lugs are a separate issue relate to switching from sailcloth, to rubber, to bracelet. They all look so good, but I need to up my game on the switches.

I hate taking the endlinks off of Bracelets for the same reason but on the Trident I plan on keeping the Bracelet on.That's good to know about the pin press. Thanks Jim!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts