WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I'm new to this forum & would like some help or info from you guys if possible.
I own a 1969 flightmaster CAL#910 which i bought with money left to me so would never sell it.
I've owned the watch for 7 years & love it to pieces but.....
Just recently the chrono has stopped working, it will go for 50 secs then stop it sets back to 12 ok.This has prompted me to get it serviced, which has now turned into a bit of restoration work.
This is where i need a bit of help.
Heres what i plan to do:
1. A full service
2. New hands fitting, the hands are currently yellow but i plan to get red ones fitted (just personal choice).
3. A new domed crystal, it currently has a flat 1, again personal choice.
4. A mesh bracelet fitted.
5. Now heres the catch, i wanted the case taking back to the original finish (its been polished over the years).I contacted several restoration sites with not much success, 1 told me it could'nt be done, 1 told me why waste money just buy a new case, another said yes but it would'nt be as good as original.
What do i do... is there anywhere that can do this? what would the cost be of restoring the case against a new case?
I don't know...can any of you guys help.
Any info would be much appreciated,

Many thanks in advance,

Lee

·
Registered
454 Posts
Hi Lee and welcome to the madness :).

Congrats on the Flightmaster, a fantastic watch and a wise investment imho. Personally I would send it back to Omega HQ in Bienne, Switzerland. AFAIK no one can restore a case back to its original condition better than them.

Here's a link to my Bienne restored Speedmaster MKII with some before and after pics. Hopefully you'll see the minor miracles that they can perform.

https://www.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=55921

It won't be a cheap undertaking but with something as iconic as a Flightmaster I'd consider it money well spent. There's also a bit of a backlog at their restoration centre at the moment (knew I should have kept quiet my MKII, damn :-d) but it'll worth every minute, honest.

If you need anymore info about my experiences with Bienne drop me a PM and I'll forward some more details.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Cheers,

Gary

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Lee.

Gary speaks from experience, and I agree with him. If you want the case restored to like new, send it to Bienne. It's amazing what they do.

On the other hand, they won't install an aftermarket domed crystal. Oh, and their work isn't cheap. But, from what I've heard from others, it's worth the time and cost.

Good luck!

eric

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys,

What do you think about going down the new case route.
How much are they, where would i get one?
I'm actually selling another watch to fund this project & have a bit of cash saved up so am willing to spend quite a bit to get it right.

Thanks,

Lee

1 - 5 of 5 Posts