WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Restoring the Casio DW-5000C G-Shock

I bought the DW-5000 of an internet auction that was in pretty good shape. The watch did not have the bezel and a broken resin band, and there were small scratches on the display as well as on the case back. All the functions of the watch were good including the light.

One should keep in mind that this watch is 25 years old and would have seen some “action” as it is a “sports watch”. I began by buffing the case back so that smaller scratches would disappear. I had some luck with the screws and they came of easy this can be a problem on older G-shocks as they often get stuck and broken off. I ordered a new bezel and resin band on the net.

The DW-5600 has the same bezel and band (and can still be found on the net) as the DW-5000 and can therefore be used as replacement parts. The assemble of the watch was easy as the screws had come off and it only took a couple of minutes.

The end result is very good and it’s a nice watch to wear.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
all fine things get finer with time. lovely!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Very good job :-!

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
I hope someone (possibly me) does that with my gw-5000 25 years from now.

What did you use to polish the crystal? It looks pretty rough in the first pics but almost flawless in the "after" pics.

Reactions: nigelw

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Much respect :p

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I hope someone (possibly me) does that with my gw-5000 25 years from now.

What did you use to polish the crystal? It looks pretty rough in the first pics but almost flawless in the "after" pics.
I’m sorry to say that I used nothing more then a good clean. I think maybe the light came across the watch on the "before" pics, showing the scratches more. But if I was to polish the crystal I probably would use a diamond compound I used on the case back.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Nice work!!! Sometimes restored is better than new.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
very nice

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Awesome! I want an original badly! What did you use to polish the crystal?

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
I ordered a new bezel and resin band on the net.
Just like that, eh!

These vintage DW-5600/DW-5000 bezel&strap sets are spread all over the Web these days, so why not...LOL! :-d

On the more serious note - great restoration project, awesome result...keep it and wear it in good health!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here are two more pics, one i took before and after the buffing.

Before

After

Not a very good before pic, but you get the idea. I love my new watch, cant stop looking at it on my wrist.. I been bitten!

·
7,489 Posts
Looks as great as the day it was born....err....made ;-) Nice to see a piece of G-Shock History back to it's luster. Excellent job on that. Looking at the case before you did the final assembly, looks like you lucked out, even the side screws look nicely intact.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
What a great job, polishing the case like that is a brilliant idea! I never thought of doing it on any of my vintage Gs, but what great results :-!.

Congrats on a really good find, especially as the Japan Y case type is nicer than the Japan B in my opinion.

·
Registered
827 Posts
good job!:p
enjoy the watch:-!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts