WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

Im looking for a retirement gift for my father. I would like to get ideas from you for an automatic or mechanical watch :
Swiss or german made (700$ budget)
saphir cristal
Dress watch
Leather band
42mm or more
if possible see-through case back
if possible custom engraving
if possible small, reliable and not really know watchmaker with quality watches

I already think about :

Christopher Ward C65 TRIDENT CLASSIC 585$

TISSOT LE LOCLE MEN'S AUTOMATIC BLACK DIAL 675$

Raymond Weil Men's 2838- Pc5-00209 620$ (on amazon)

Mido M86903138 Baroncelli 920$ (on amazon)

·
Registered
5,258 Posts
Go for the Christopher Ward. Classic yet understated styling. The movement in the watch will be of high quality. And it will come with a letter addressed to the new owner signed by Ward himself.

Hello

Im looking for a retirement gift for my father. I would like to get ideas from you for an automatic or mechanical watch :
Swiss or german made (700$ budget)
saphir cristal
Dress watch
Leather band
42mm or more
if possible small, reliable and not really know watchmaker with quality watches

I already think about :

Christopher Ward C65 TRIDENT CLASSIC 585$

TISSOT LE LOCLE MEN'S AUTOMATIC BLACK DIAL 675$

Raymond Weil Men's 2838- Pc5-00209 620$ (on amazon)

Mido M86903138 Baroncelli 920$ (on amazon)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did not know that Ward sign letters for owners, They are valuables watch or just like ETA massive production?

·
Registered
5,258 Posts
The signed letter is a really nice touch. In fact, it is a big reason whynI keep looking out to buy more Christopher Ward watches.

As for Ward's line-up: Its $1,000+ watches use its own in-house movement. With the Trident, Sellita and ETA movements with some customizing. Ward also allows you to return the watch no questions asked within 60 days of purchase. All in all, you can't go wrong with its watches.

I did not know that Ward sign letters for owners, They are valuables watch or just like ETA massive production?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My dad never bought a real good watch and im worrying how long a CW can last cause its a young brand. Do you think their watches can last 30 to 50 years?

·
Premium Member
68,130 Posts
The last thing you need to worry about is a CW lasting. If (it's about as likely as my hair growing back) the company does go belly up the watch uses an industry
standard movement that any good watchmaker will be able to service.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hello

Serious question: Are these two not mutually exclusive? I would love to get my SAR065 engraved as it was an anniversary gift, but the exhibition case back doesn't seem to leave much room for engraving.

·
Premium Member
68,130 Posts
If you have any questions at all about the CW watch such as "will xxxyyyzzz fit on the watch if I request that to be engraved" drop their customer service department an email as I've always found them to be very helpful.

·
Registered
132 Posts
There seems to be enought place for fews words on the CW watch
The Trident does not have an exhibition case back, though it does look like some of their watches do have exhibition backs, and they do have room for engraving. So I guess that answers my question. Sadly that's not the case with Seiko exhibition backs.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah the CW with a in house movement have a see through case back, but the finish of the movement is not really nice. There is no perlafe and geneve cotes.

·
Registered
5,258 Posts
Sellita and ETA movements can be serviced by any competent watch repair shop. So the Christopher Ward will last for quite a long while. So you will be fine buying the Trident.

My dad never bought a real good watch and im worrying how long a CW can last cause its a young brand. Do you think their watches can last 30 to 50 years?

·
Banned
1,039 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,990 Posts
Hahaha yeah true, i dont really kmow mido well' is it a good brand?
It's a very good brand. It's owned by Swatch Group (Hamilton, Tissot, Omega, etc.). Thought it's relatively unknown, they often add extra touches even at this price point (like top movements).

They use ETA and Sellita ebauches, but they're doing amazing things with their watches. They'll be around fora while. I'm not sure I'd call them "valuables," but their a solid brand.

But all of that is irrelevant because:

I've got it!
Archimede Klassik.
It ticks every one of your boxes -- dressy, leather strap, 42mm, Swiss or German (both, really), Sapphire, exhibition case back (or solid) and custom engraving is available.

They're made by a company that makes their own cases (a rarity in Swiss/German pieces at this price); they're thin; they use industry standard movements that will be serviceable for decades to come, adn tehy come in more styles than you can shake a stick at. Oh, and they're exactly within budget, even if you get custom engraving.

Klassik 42 Automatic SW 200-1
KLASSIK 42 BIC - Klassik - Watches

Klassik 42 G Automatic SW 200-1

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hahaha so funny the gif with the guys, yeah archimede could be a good idea but they dont look enought dress .

Are they?

·
Premium Member
6,990 Posts
Hahaha so funny the gif with the guys, yeah archimede could be a good idea but they dont look enought dress .

Are they?
I see think so. With their dimensions and thickness, they'd look absolutely great under a suit. They're certainly dressier than the Christopher Ward you selected, and I'd say that the small minutes register makes them only slightly less dressy than the Mido. Sure, Breguet hands and roman numerals are dressier still, but it's a nice, versatile, conservative piece.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts