WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My father is retiring soon and we need to get him a nice dress watch. He currently "obsesses" over the Baume and Mercier Clifton 10052. I have to admit, this may be my next luxury purchase when I can swing it. This is well above our budget, especially now that I have to replace the engine and turbo in my Audi. One feature I believe he really likes is the small seconds on the dial. A sapphire glass is probably a requirement as well. Could sacrifice automatic for quartz if the look is right. We would like to stick to a sub $1000 budget, closer to $500 is key. I am not finding much so far and am thinking maybe a Frederique Constant Index from overstock.com. Although that looks more like my Tag Carrera than the Baume and does not have the small seconds.

Any suggestions?

TIA

·
Registered
761 Posts

The Steinhart Nav B is a fantastic watch, and at €370 is well within budget.
Superb quality, feel and Finnish. Well worth looking at.

Regards duncan​

Attachments

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
A I think the most affordable dress watch is Tissot Visodate series.

You can also check Orient Bambino, but Tissot would be better as the movement it has and a Swiss Made.

visodate.jpg

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
Here's a pic of the B&M folks

Hi planespotting and welcome! Great idea for a retirement gift for your dad!
I'm thinking maybe a Chinese automatic - they do some lovely white-faced watches, and offer great workmanship for reasonable prices, you'll get lots of bang for your buck. (Open secret: many Swiss brands utilise Chinese watch components)
Hopefully someone more knowledgable than me will be along in a mo, or you could ask over on the Chinese forum.
Meanwhile here's the Beijing BeiHai

And Zhufeng

(pics from a post by mleok)

·
Registered
237 Posts
What is the size of that B&M? Few clicks ago I stumbled upon Cristopher Ward C9 Harrison. Pretty similar in apearance to that B&W so check it out. It is 43 mm which is on a big side but price should be good.

Best regards,

·
Registered
20,355 Posts
Agreed on Hamilton, it's the closest approach to B&M watches.

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
overlooked the small seconds... but

I like the Seiko SARB021 and the SARG003

But surprised no one has mentioned the SARB065, I'm not a fan of it, but everyone else seems to love it.

I like the idea of a pilot as well. Can be dressy and casual

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Take a look at Hamilton. There might be some stuff in the Jazzmaster lineup that appeals to you.
^ +1

Here's mine. It's a much nicer watch than my Datejust was.

I wouldn't even mind a quartz, as long as it was small seconds or no seconds. They're nice and thin, cheaper, more accurate, quiet, and when they need service, it's just a battery replacement.

I think this was about $600.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Orient star classic? No small seconds, but it has a small PR dial and similar looking blued hands.

The B&M clifton is a beauty though :).

Reactions: playtech1

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Jazzmaster is the way to go IMO.

Sent from my SGH-I757M using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts