WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. As title says, I'm thinking of retiring my Hamilton Tachymiler. It's been on the front line as my everyday watch for over ten years now and it's had a really hard time!
The Speedmaster had an easier time with NASA!
It's been a fantastic watch and has never let me down even though I've never had it Serviced and the abuse it's injured. Recently I'm finding It just too big, at 49mm inc the crown it's certainly no shrinking violet.
I'm thinking about replacing it with the Hamilton khaki Navy Scuba, this has the H-10 movement as opposed to the trusty 7750 in the tachymiler and is a more modest 40mm which I'm sure will be much more comfortable whilst working.
So what do you all think?
Is the Navy Scuba a suitable replacement? Will it be as tough?
Appreciate your thoughts
20200728_123310.jpg
hamilton-mens-khaki-scuba-black-blue-automatic-nato-watch-p23614-27810_medium.jpg

·
Registered
442 Posts
Just go to Macy's and try the whole line on, you will find something you like. Probably a good time for sales too

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just go to Macy's and try the whole line on, you will find something you like. Probably a good time for sales too
Thanks for your reply. Not sure where the nearest Macy's is from here, probably a few thousand miles as I'm in Blighty 😄.
As I've had my Hamilton for so many years, I'm not sure how good the new crop are or how robust the H-10 movement is compared to the 7750. It's going to be a daily work watch and will take some knocks and probably get covered in all sorts solvents paints muck and oils.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
If it floats your boat, go for it!!..I'd suggest you take a look or 2 at both the Hammy Intra-Matic Panda auto chrono & the Pioneer Khaki Navy chrono..

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If it floats your boat, go for it!!..I'd suggest you take a look or 2 at both the Hammy Intra-Matic Panda auto chrono & the Pioneer Khaki Navy chrono..
Yep I really like the intra magic, but not really what I'm looking for in a work watch. Looking for a Simple ledgable dial and robust. My Hamilton has stood the test of time (excuse the pun) so thought I'd replace it with another.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I recently got a Khaki Field auto 38 with the H-10 in it, and it's become my daily driver. So I've gone to work where I've had to do all kinds of stuff like it sounds like you do. It's been great and is still keeping time extremely accurately.

It's only been about 3 months though. I'm sure there are tons of members who have had Hamiltons with the H-10 for a long time who can speak to its long-term durability.

Very pleased with the watch, regardless.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Yep I really like the intra magic, but not really what I'm looking for in a work watch. Looking for a Simple ledgable dial and robust. My Hamilton has stood the test of time (excuse the pun) so thought I'd replace it with another.
Well, I have this one...
Hamilton Khaki Navy Scuba H823750 green bezel(1).JPG

I've yet to really bond w/ it, though..I actually prefer these 3 to it...
Hamilton Jazzmaster Seaview Day Date  H3756531 H-30(1).JPG

Hamilton Khaki King Scuba silver dial(1).JPG

Hamilton Khaki King Scuba(2).JPG

Have you given some consideration to the Oris 65 Bronze Bezels & the similar Chris Ward C65's?...I'm a big fan of both brands...

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I recently got a Khaki Field auto 38 with the H-10 in it, and it's become my daily driver. So I've gone to work where I've had to do all kinds of stuff like it sounds like you do. It's been great and is still keeping time extremely accurately.

It's only been about 3 months though. I'm sure there are tons of members who have had Hamiltons with the H-10 for a long time who can speak to its long-term durability.

Thank you wgroves, information on the movement from someone that has used it helps.

Thunder 1:
You like your hamiltons!
That first one in your pictures is very much like the one I'm considering. It's on sale so can get it at a good price.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Thank you wgroves, information on the movement from someone that has used it helps.

Thunder 1:
You like your hamiltons!
That first one in your pictures is very much like the one I'm considering. It's on sale so can get it at a good price.
You know, I read somewhere that Hamilton was going to introduce a new diver..it was supposed to premier in June, but has been delayed because of the Corona Virus-19 business..you might want to wait a bit...

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You know, I read somewhere that Hamilton was going to introduce a new diver..it was supposed to premier in June, but has been delayed because of the Corona Virus-19 business..you might want to wait a bit...
Thanks for the heads up, that's probably why there is a sale on older stock now.
If I get time this weekend I'll go take a look at the scuba. I have other watches that I rotate at weekends so the 80hr power reserve is good news for a work watch.

·
Premium Member
4,627 Posts
I tried on the Hamilton Khaki Navy Scuba with a stainless steel bracelet last year. My overall impression was that it fit real comfortable on my wrist, there is a bit of weight/heft to the watch and a bit on the chunky side.

As for it being tough, I would say it is a yes. The water-resistance, crown guards, and brushed stainless steel casing should hold up to reasonable abuse you may through at it. As for the H-10 movement, see it as an improvement to the older ETA 2824-2 when it comes to incorporating antimagnetique alloys into the movement to mitigate some of the possibilities of it being magnetized. Plus, Hamilton's H movements percision of accuracy is quite good provided the watch is worn on a daily bases.

As for the newer Khaki Navy Scuba being released later this year, they will be a 37mm, a quartz movement, and without the date function

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I tried on the Hamilton Khaki Navy Scuba with a stainless steel bracelet last year. My overall impression was that it fit real comfortable on my wrist, there is a bit of weight/heft to the watch and a bit on the chunky side.

As for it being tough, I would say it is a yes. The water-resistance, crown guards, and brushed stainless steel casing should hold up to reasonable abuse you may through at it. As for the H-10 movement, see it as an improvement to the older ETA 2824-2 when it comes to incorporating antimagnetique alloys into the movement to mitigate some of the possibilities of it being magnetized. Plus, Hamilton's H movements percision of accuracy is quite good provided the watch is worn on a daily bases.

As for the newer Khaki Navy Scuba being released later this year, they will be a 37mm, a quartz movement, and without the date function

Thanks, that's all I need to know. I'm sure it will have a degree of weight to it but nothing compared to my tachymiler. Looks like good value for money at the sale price too. I may even treat the tachymiler to a clean and service and a smart new strap for it's retirement :)
Also I think the newer version at 37mm will be too small for my 8.5" wrist.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts