WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently wearing a CW Trident Pro 600 but tbh I’m getting a bit bored of it. It’s a great “standard piece”. I also have a Helm Vanuatu on preorder to cover the tool watch.

I’m looking for something with a old school look & lume similar to the Yema Navygraf, Tudor Black Bay or CW 65.

Any other suggestions appreciated. Looking for a black face with black bezel.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I was going to suggest the Yema Navygraf but see that you already have that on your list.

My other suggestions that are well under your $900 budget would be the Helson Hammerhead or the Helson Skindiver. Some people will turn up their nose at Helson since they are a Chinese-made "homage" but I've been more than pleased with their quality and customer service based on the price. If you hold out a few weeks until the Lunar New Year, Helson usually has a slight discount for that.

(pictures taken from Helson's site)

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
These are about $990, but you might be able to find one used. The lume is vintagey for sure and is a reissue of a an older model...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
668 Posts
I just received this in the mail today. I've been hunting for a Swiss Made, automatic, vintage style diver for a few months now. I'm downsizing to a three watch collection and targeting 38-40mm watches, but most of the dive watches I've liked are 42mm with long flat lug lengths. I've seen some attractive offerings from micro or "resurrected" brands, but I feel most are overpriced for what you get when you could spend half as much on a Glycine Combat Sub or Seiko for a similar build and movement. Anyway, I came across this Mido Ocean Star Tribute, they're a lesser known brand (in the U.S.A) within the Swatch family. This is their 75 year tribute dive watch and it comes in both blue and black versions. It's 40.5mm in size, 47mm lug length, and 21mm lug width. All the right proportions for me, an odd lug width but my Natos will fit and I intend to put it on a 21mm vintage leather strap. It's a bit blingy with the bracelet on, but what the hell, I'll bling out this summer when the occasion justifies it. Watches like this are supposed to be as fun as they are functional. So far it looks and feels like a solid watch with good fit and finish, and it winds and sets smoothly. I picked this up for just over $700.00 from Jomashop, now they're out of stock. I still find them online for $800.00-$900.00 so it's worth a look if that's your budget. I'll attach a link with a review from Teddy B. Once I spend a week or two with it on my wrist I'll post my own take.

Good Luck on your hunt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNjPCWzOoU0

Mido Plastic.JPG
Mido No Plastic.JPG

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Beat me to it. I also picked up the black Ocean Star Tribute. Hunt around, you should be able to find it under $900. Very nice watch.

·
Registered
972 Posts
The Chris Ward C65 is a lovely watch but IMO the Oris 65 is nicer still if you can get a lightly used one.
I always forget about the Oris 65, but that's definitely a great choice in this price point. I was surprised how nicely they fit under a shirt cuff when I tried one on so that might be something to consider too.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Hey, you got your photos first, go for it. Plenty of Mido love to go around.

·
Registered
831 Posts
If you're OK with micro-brands and fauxtina, perhaps check out the Baltic Aquascaphe - I got one two weeks ago and loving it, very high quality and feels pricier than the $724 price tag. I've seen some around for sale at 2nd hand message boards as well.

Excellent Beads of Rice bracelet for that vintage feel.

baltic13.jpg

Looks mighty fine on a Tropic as well.

baltic10.jpg

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the awesome replies everyone. You guys are right on target. Really feeling the Helson Skindiver, the Doxa and the Mido. Would have already pulled the trigger on a Navygraf but, alas no date window.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
The Newmark 71 us also out there; a very few I think will be sold through Newmark's website. It was a KS campaign so I am not sure how many watches will be available at retail. Might be worth sending them an e-mail if interested.

·
Registered
5,357 Posts
After looking at the pictures of the Mido, I looked it up as I like retro styled watches. However, I think I'll pass on this one because apparently the mechanical movement it has requires sending back to Mido if there are any issues since a regular watchmaker cannot work on it. So functionally, it's an in house movement despite being a "modified" ETA.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts