WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

I am new to posting in the forum, but have been watching it for a while. I am looking to purchase a retro style watch, or a vintage watch with the domed crystal. I like the vintage look, but don't necessarily need anything too fancy. Anyone have any leads or suggestions where to look? I really like the older Omegas, but most of those are out of my price range. I am willing to spend up to about $300 for this watch. Please let me know if you have any ideas, I am open to a variety of styles.

·
Registered
901 Posts
ER24005W | Orient Automatic Watches & Reviews | Orient Watch USA

I've linked you to the Orient Bambino. If you've been reading the forum for a while, you've probably heard of this brand. In case you've missed it, I'll just say that this is a Japanese brand that makes excellent quality, but still affordable watches, with in-house movements that are known to be very accurate. This watch in particular incorporates classic vintage style, complete with a beautiful domed crystal, into a slightly more modern sized watch, and is available in a few different case material/dial colour combinations. If you're looking for retro style with a domed crystal for $300 or less, it's hard to go wrong here.

Edit: The reason I'm suggesting a new watch with vintage looks instead of a vintage watch, is that vintage watches are typically a lot of work to keep running, and if you're only willing to spend about $300, an old watch is probably not the best route to take.

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
As mentioned, the Orient Bambino is great choice. If you can bump the budget up a bit, the Seiko SARB 065 'Cocktail Time' is a beautiful retro style as well.

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
For a vintage look and vintage movement you can look into Seagull 63' with Plexi pop.

added other plexi crystal inspiration that I love(Some of them are slightly more expensive)

5513/Speedmaster Pro/PAM372(Photo are stolen off the interweb)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
I am willing to spend up to about $300 for this watch.
If you round it up to around $400, you can maybe get a Tissot Visodate from Jomashop. If you're lucky, you can come across an used one for cheaper on the bay. Just got one, and it's one of my favorites. It helps that it has some swiss pedigree, and the domed crystal is sapphire. It's a lot of watch for the money.

On your price range, I would probably choose the Orient Bambino. It's a beautiful watch.

Also, if you like the style of older Omegas, and want to spend some quality time bringing a classic timepiece back to life, try to find a vintage Eterna-matic. You can find one anywhere from $150-$250. I would stick to the lower price range, as it's almost certain that you'll need to have it overhauled - which will bring you very close to your price range. Today, I would choose this route in a heart-beat. It's very rewarding to find a nice vintage, and have it restored.

etss.jpg
Picture is from the web.

Good luck!

·
Registered
6,810 Posts
Second on the Seiko SARB Cocktail Time:

SARB0655001.jpg
borrowed pic.

·
Premium Member
40,628 Posts
Orient Bambino for that price range. Or you could stretch it a bit and go for the Smiths Everest
Everest1.jpg

·
Moderator Emeritus
54,382 Posts
Unfortunately not in your budget but Retro as Retro can be, made with the knowledge of today: RHL

1.jpg

RHL_Retro_Chrono_4.jpg

Two pics of mine (Munichtime 2011)

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Do a forum search for Yobokies: he sells a lot of the most popular seiko models and will put a domed sapphire on them.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
How about one of these new Citizens, im thinking of buying one myself. They come in Yellow gold as well as steel. On amazon for around $160 or Joma for $120 for Labor day. Model #s are Bm7190 and Bm7193. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

·
Registered
488 Posts
SMITHS EVEREST - PRS-25
245£

Since you are into old Omegas, you might want to consider the Precista PRS-14 nased on the classic 1960s Omega Seamaster 300m. You can find some used for sale. Precista has most sadly discontinued the production of this model.

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
For the budget-conscious ... HMT.

The Ltd. Ed. White Pilot project on the affordables sub-forum looks very good indeed.

·
Premium Member
40,628 Posts
For the budget-conscious ... HMT.

The Ltd. Ed. White Pilot project on the affordables sub-forum looks very good indeed.
I think all of the watches were spoken for a long time ago

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
With TS tight budget of 300USD, the ORIENT BAMBINO is definitely the ultimate choice that most of us can think of. The design is an instant classic!
Unfortunately the Rose Gold case model only comes in pearly white and black dial. Should there be a dark brown coppertone dial, like those you see with Zepplin watches...

If you budget allows... perhaps something instant vintage from the west as well...

Or... from the west, but oriental heart?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts