WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading this review on the marvelous AMBwatches Blog I rushed over to Amazon and purchased the AVI-8 Hawker Hurricane model AV 4107 02 for $141. Despite the holiday season, it arrived in good time in a nice presentation box.
IMG_0563.jpg

At 44mm, the watch wears larger than I expected on my slim girly-man wrist.
IMG_0568.jpg

It is a nice pilot design, clean face (there are many options of colors and styles), you can see all for yourselves on these links. AVI-8 seems to be a relatively new British company, using Japanese and Chinese parts, possibly assembled in China, but I don't know. Please reply if you've got some knowledge of the company. AVI-8 prides itself on military aviation design, and all their models are based upon a classic British warplane. In the box comes a little history of the Hawker Hurricane.

Anyway, y'all can read all this on the links, but here's my impressions after wearing the watch for a few days. The case is solid and well-made. The lugs curve quite a bit, so that, for example, when laying the watch flat on a table, the back of the case does not touch the table top, only the lugs do (the case clears by only 1-2 mm). As AMB mentions in his review, the date window is quite small for this face, and hard to read the date if you are not in good light. The seconds subdial at 9 is cool, and the second hand does hack.
IMG_0565.jpg
The band is good quality stitched leather, with a stamped faux-Croc pattern, signed on the back.
IMG_0567.jpg
The back of the case is a nice presentation of the movement. Ahh.. the movement, here comes my main complaint. AVI-8 has both quartz and auto models. on Amazon this model is titled as "Japanese Automatic", so I was expecting a Miyota movement. But in the instruction manual which came with the watch, there are instructions for setting each of the movements on all their auto models. So I was able to see that while some of their models do come with Miyotas, mine came with a Chinese movement (referred to as DG-3809-3D). So I'm disappointed in that, and I guess it is Amazon's fault, not AVI-8s. That being said, the movement is good, very quiet, with over 21k bph (and, as I said, it hacks). AVI-8 ignored the opportunity to decorate or sign the movement, it is completely bare of markings.
IMG_0566.jpg
Every other part is signed: buckle clasp, face, strap.. the crown sports a target-style concentric circle logo, which AVI-8 use to recall the RAF logo (in other models the crown logo has the red-white-blue coloring, which I think is awesome).

Nonetheless, for $141 (list price is $550) I can not complain, it is a keeper as my only modern pilot style. It would look good on a NATO band (they sell it like that if you choose), I figured I could put one on later if I like and for now got it shipped with the more valuable leather.

OK, hope that is some useful info, reply if any of you have an AVI-8!

·
Premium Member
64,091 Posts
Hi there Mbd, one of the shopping channels on U.K. T.V. is really pushing AV-8 watches at present. The Hurricane they are selling is the chrono version with a solid caseback with the Hurricane outline engraved on it. I had no idea that they did so many versions of it until I read you post. Glad you like it.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Sticky, if it has a solid case back it is probably one of AVI-8's quartz models... what are they asking on UK TV?

·
Registered
642 Posts
For anyone who's interested: AVI-8 watches turn up on the flash sales sites (Gilt, MyHabit) pretty frequently.
I don't own one and haven't done any price comparisons or anything, but you might want to keep an eye on those sites if you're in the market.

·
Registered
7,730 Posts
Not a bad looking watch. It is nice to see something different than the typical black dial pilot watch. Enjoy!!!

Sent from my LG-P935 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We're I to do it over again, I'd probably eschew the Hawker Hurricane in favor of the Flyboy, which has a Miyota movement, no subdials.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
There are some really good looking watches there. I wish they were a bit clearer about the movements they use though. Good find!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts