WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

I recently purchased an Omega Seamster Professional plain black divers watch.
After a month of owning it I have decided to photograph certain features and write an in depth review.
This watch is a COSC certified co-axial chronometer.

DIAL

The black of the dial is very deep and glossy and captures the eye. The black manages to bring out a subtle element of 'creaminess' in the white indicators and hands. This is something that is a little less obvious in the blue edition of this watch.
An advantage of the black is that it is a little more versatile than the blue, however, it loses the wow factor that might be found in the blue. Not many watches can pull off blue like the Seamaster does.
Being black, keeping it clean can be a nuisance. Although, if you're obsessive like me, you won't mind constant polishing, because the outcome is truly sexy.
The text on the dial is very compact and very sharp. Not a letter is out of place, and the red in the italic font of the word "Seamaster" complements the surrounding black very nicely.
The word "OMEGA" accompanied by the trademark Omega symbol is equally as impressive as it has been noticeably raised and rhodium plated (just like the hands to be discussed later), giving it a very sharp metallic glimmer. The "OMEGA" text logo is "applied", a change from the previous wave dial. The date background has also been changed from white to black, with raised silver numerals.

HANDS
When first considering the Seamaster, the idea of skeleton hands was a scary one. One that initially seemed pretentious and futile. However, it wasn't long after inspecting the piece that I realized that I didn't hate the hands, I was in love with them. They weren't useless at all. They appear solid and have such a strong influence on the watches overall appearance, yet manage to barely detract from the face. Although the glossy backdrop gleams through the middle of the hands, it is impossible to lose sight of the rhodium plated and creamy white outline of each hand.
The 'seconds' hand is perfect and simple. It is rather long and features a small circular indicator at its end preceded by a final red line that reaches just short of the outer edge of the dial. The red draws the eye and shares a pleasant relationship with the slightly deeper red seen in the "Seamaster" text on the face.

CERAMIC BEZEL

The ceramic bezel provides a subtle change in the tone of black from the dial, and is more like a very deep shade of grey. I quite like this, to me it makes the bezel look harder, which is good as it is in fact a harder material than the previous stainless steel bezels.
The bezel indicators are very precise. However, unlike the Planet Ocean, where the indices are metal injected, the Seamaster indices are painted onto the bezel. This means that there is a chance that the paint can be scratched off if care is not taken.
The bezel is of course rotatable and unidirectional for divers safety. It has 120 positions or two very precise clicks per minute marker.
The outer edge of the bezel is carefully scolloped and is brush finished. I like this feature and I believe it is imperative to the watches overall look. However, the smoothness of the scolloping means that more force has to be used to maintain grip when twisting the bezel.

CROWN

The crown is a screw down and has been very carefully machined and polished and appears very elegant. It blends in with the surrounding crown guard and becomes a vital piece of the watches physique. The crowns general function is standard.

BAND

Of all the watches I've worn, this is certainly the most comfortable. This is all thanks to the seamaster's unique bracelet. Each link is machine finished and has smooth curves that sits very comfortably on the wrist. There is adequate clearance between each link which ensures no pinching and grabbing of hairs.
The precise machined finish of each link means that care must be taken to not excessively scratch the band, but minor scratching is ultimately inevitable and barely detracts from the watch.

CLASP

The Seamaster features a simple, effective and very solid clasp. Unlike an old rolex clasp, which was made out of stamped metal, the Seamaster's clasp is a solid metal design.
The locking pin too, is very simple and strong and clicks in without fail.
Adjacent to the clasp is a simple diver's extension, allowing for increased band radius in order for the watch to fit over a wetsuit.

LUME

As a dive watch, luminosity is a particularly important feature, and the seamaster wants to make this known with its multicolored extra bright and extra long glowing Super-Luminova lume.
The indicators, hour hand and second hand glow a deep aqua, whilst the minute hand and bezel indicator glows a powerful green, providing great legibility at night between hour hand and minute hand.

CONCLUSION

In my opinion, the Omega Seamaster Professional is a near flawless watch.
Every feature of this watch seems too be in perfect harmony with surrounding features, making for a very natural looking sports watch.
I have no regrets in my purchase and expect to get many years of time keeping pleasure out of it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sweet review! I picked-up the 2220.80.00 the other day. I was torn between the ceramic bezel vs. wavy dial....Only if it had both! I think the Omega logo is raised on my 2220.80.00 though similar to the current version of SMP 300M.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Just ordered this beauty! Very excited! Thanks for the great review!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I recently purchased a this watch and am very curious to know how strong the bezel is ? Do I have to worry about it scratching ? I know it's ceramic but this review said it could be damaged. This is my very first watch of this caliber I've never owned a watch of this caliber before so I'm very new to this hobby. Any feedback would be amazing

·
Registered
46 Posts
Great review, make sure every fact is straight because it can affect the purchase choice of other forum membets/readers. The bezel is made of Omega and Blancpain's Zr02 ceramic material. It doesn't hower have a liquid metal diving scale, but it has a wonderful virtually inscratchable diving scale made of chromium nitrate which is technically harder than ceramic on the Moh scale. This is important and this is also proved by the fact that you cannot find any member who has been able to scratch that diving scale since this watch's induction in 2012. Thanks

·
Registered
46 Posts
The bezel is extraordinarily strong. Proprietary ceramic that is right below diamond in hardness. Ceramic is more brittle than aluminum but it would take a considerable force to damage or crack the ceramic. There are members who have broken their Rolex SubC bezel but also remember that the Sub has a flat crystal and the bezel sticks out considerably to protect the crystal. The Omega has a domed crystal, which by and large can take more direct force because of the shape, sort of like squeezing an egg from all sides and it cannot break, a little different in this scenario but the crystal cannot have any amount of pressure applied on the whole thing, just one point would take impact and spread the force of impact and reduce an entire crystal shattering. The bezel on the SMP sits below the slightly domed crystal and is also sloped downward torward the case sides and it makes it increasingly hard to have a direct impact on the bezel and would mostly result in a sliding impact which is much less. The diving scale applied to the bezel is chromium nitrate and is harder than the ceramic itself. The bezel pearl also sits low and doesn't stick out like a sore thumb. This bezel/crystal configuration is excellent!

·
Registered
13 Posts
The bezel is extraordinarily strong. Proprietary ceramic that is right below diamond in hardness. Ceramic is more brittle than aluminum but it would take a considerable force to damage or crack the ceramic. There are members who have broken their Rolex SubC bezel but also remember that the Sub has a flat crystal and the bezel sticks out considerably to protect the crystal. The Omega has a domed crystal, which by and large can take more direct force because of the shape, sort of like squeezing an egg from all sides and it cannot break, a little different in this scenario but the crystal cannot have any amount of pressure applied on the whole thing, just one point would take impact and spread the force of impact and reduce an entire crystal shattering. The bezel on the SMP sits below the slightly domed crystal and is also sloped downward torward the case sides and it makes it increasingly hard to have a direct impact on the bezel and would mostly result in a sliding impact which is much less. The diving scale applied to the bezel is chromium nitrate and is harder than the ceramic itself. The bezel pearl also sits low and doesn't stick out like a sore thumb. This bezel/crystal configuration is excellent!
Wow thanks for the great explanation I'm very new to watches and received this watch as a gift for my 30th birthday. Don't know much about them, I was very worried about the bezel and glass but it sounds like I'm in good shape. Is this watch reliable ? Will I have any issues I should watch for ?

·
Registered
476 Posts
I usually tend to go WOW whenever I buy a new watch and over time that becomes NICE except for the SMPc.

Cant believe how much it does grow on you. I am more impressed with it now than when I first got it. The details are so unique as per this great review and further input by the above posters, well done.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.