WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This watch surprised me.

I bought this watch through my AD. He had none in stock and had to order it. It took about 3 weeks, and came in a beautiful, dark wooden box - probably the best watch box I've ever received. It's much nicer than anything from Rolex, Oris, or Panerai (other ones I've received thus far as a collector).

That said, on to the watch:

- Comfort: The watch is incredibly lightweight with a 5.5mm case thickness (normal Octo Finissimo Automatic is 5.15mm). And, while it's bracelet is also ~.3 thicker thicker than its steel or titanium counterparts, it feels almost paper thin still and it's way thinner than anything else in my collection. The movement and fluidity of the bracelet is very natural and so much so you forget it's on the wrist. That said, the ceramic feels sturdy and very durable.

- Durability: Not once since wearing the watch have I felt it is fragile or breakable. This was my biggest fear prior to purchasing. Rather, it feels like the opposite - strong and reliable. And, as an aside, I've been rotating this watch with my new Rolex GMT - and to my surprise after wearing each watch 2-3 times - I already have little hairline marks on the Rolex clasp while the Bulgari Octo looks flawless and untouched by any "desk dives."

- Wrist Presence: The watch is not flashy whatsoever and most ppl don't realize it is a $15k+ watch, which is a bonus. Others that want something to standout more may not love this matte black ceramic. That said, when people do notice the watch - watch enthusiasts and less interested watch ppl - they immediately ask if I can take it off so they can check it out - and then are amazed at how thin it is. And, soon as they flip it around they are blown away by the backside view of the movement. So, this watch surprises those more keen observers at work and in the family! I'll also say the thinness makes it a dress watch. Yet, the broadness with all the 100+ facets enable to easily wear casual with T-shirts. It's probably the only watches in my collection that can go from T-shirt to Tux, to my surprise. Lastly, I will say because of its "flatness" on the wrist it feels a little larger than 40mm - almost closer to 42mm. It doesn't feel/look oversized though - and it works due its thinness - but again it looks closer to 42mm (which I happen to like due to its matte finish).

- Future Proof: It has the thinnest automatic movement ever made (but it's not the thinnest automatic watch) and it is the thinnest "ceramic" watch. Moreover, it's the only watch with an all ceramic execution, including the clasp! That part is particularly brilliant. I also think right now it's underrated and will be a watch remembered and pursued by many in the years ahead like other great watches that were ahead of their time when released, e.g. Nautilus, Royal Oak, etc.

Overall Verdict: In the end, I'm impressed. This watch has surpassed my expectations and represents an incredible add to the Bulgari Octo Finissimo line and further proves Bulgari is in it to build out truly distinctive and advance modern watches (they've really taken advantage of their Gerald Genta roots with this line). While I feel like the titanium was a little "dull" for my taste and the stainless steel felt like a scratch magnet, this black ceramic version has hit the sweet spot. It's versatile, fun yet elegant, and ridiculously comfortable and durable. If you're okay with an under the "radar" piece and want something off the beaten path that is innovative - this is it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
433 Posts
I just purchase the O.F. Chronograph GMT a bit over a week ago and share you positive impressions. I was debating the GMT (which is only grey Ti) vs. your ceramic three-hander when making the purchase. Not sure I made the right decision. :p

Congrats!

Reactions: pj1369

·
Banned
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just purchase the O.F. Chronograph GMT a bit over a week ago and share you positive impressions. I was debating the GMT (which is only grey Ti) vs. your ceramic three-hander when making the purchase. Not sure I made the right decision. :p

Congrats!
Ha! Congrats to you!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Very handsome - i do wish they had left out the 6 and 12 numerals. Cool watch overall though.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
^
Those two numerals in that font style are very much a Bvlgari design feature stemming back many, many decades.

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
That’s an impressive piece. Congrats and enjoy!

·
Banned
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
^
Those two numerals in that font style are very much a Bvlgari design feature stemming back many, many decades.
Exactly. They did do Roman numerals on a special edition version I saw in carbon. It was a ton more $$$

·
Registered
7,844 Posts
I tried on the Ti model in the Bvlgari store in NYC. Just an amazing watch and movement.

Congrats and enjoy!

·
Registered
10,636 Posts
Congrats. Tried all three in recently and the ceramic really impressed.

·
Banned
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Congrats. Tried all three in recently and the ceramic really impressed.

Great comparison shots! Did you end up picking one up? I also loved the steel. The titanium was a little dull for me.

·
Registered
10,636 Posts
Great comparison shots! Did you end up picking one up? I also loved the steel. The titanium was a little dull for me.

No. Just like to try things on when I’m out. :) I also preferred the Non titanium ones also for having a touch of weight.

·
Banned
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No. Just like to try things on when I’m out. :) I also preferred the Non titanium ones also for having a touch of weight.

Nice! I'm the same! Cheers!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Huge fan of this model and I think there is quite some potential too. It just has to shake off the name, which I have no doubts it can. I particularly like the special editions one from the Middle East and Japan

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
The ME Arabics, also seen on G-P Laureato and others, is a bit played out for me, but that Japan one is utterly beguiling.
No branding, so taking a lead from Moser’s playbook, which works when you have a strong design that’s recognisable by those who know.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts