Purchased From: Amazon

DIMENSIONS
Width: 46.00 mm
With Crown: N/A
Lug Width: 25.25 mm
Height (lug to lug): 51.05 mm
Thickness: 15.30 mm

WHY I PURCHASED THIS WATCH
I’ll admit that previous to purchasing this watch, I was sort of a digital snob. I didn’t understand why someone would want to wear a digital watch when automatic (self-winding) watches were so intriguing to me. However, I have now seen the (Full Auto EL) light :) A digital watch is very versatile when I would dare not wear one of my “precious” automatic watches. When it came time to buy a digital watch, I looked no further than Casio’s G-Shocks. I knew that they represented quality and decided to go with this Mudman.

QUALITY (fit, crystal, lume, bracelet)
Quite simply, the quality of this watch is amazing. It is much lighter weight than I would have expected, but that is fine. It also wears much smaller than I thought it would. When I saw the measurements on Amazon, I worried that this watch might be way too big for my 6.5 inch wrist. All of my worries were for naught as it fits perfectly. I also read that the buttons are hard to push, but using a “squeeze/pinch” method with my thumb on the opposite side of the watch, I find the buttons take a perfect level of effort to push. The nubs on the back don’t irritate my skin at all and do a great job of helping keep the watch in place.

At first I had difficulty synching my watch, but I placed it in a window and did a manual synch and about 7 minutes later, it was properly synched; excellent! I LOVE the full auto EL. It works every time when I raise my wrist and doesn’t require any awkward movement to get it to turn on.

Now on to my biggest complaint about the watch. I wish the EL would remain on longer or ideally be configurable. I find the approximate 1.5 seconds to be too short and would love about 3 (or perhaps 5) seconds of illumination. I understand that this runs down the battery, but being solar powered, I’d be willing to accept the need for more light exposure to keep the charge up.

I do wish the strap keeper was tighter as well. Luckily for me, I wear the watch on the 6th set of holes and can keep the strap keeper all the way up at the top where it is tighter. This is a weird oversight to me though from Casio and could be an issue for people with larger or smaller wrists.

One last “issue” is that my wife refuses to go in public with me wearing this watch. She thinks it looks nerdy, but I have hope that she’ll come around, especially since I am typically nerdy--she should be used to it!

ACCURACY
This of course is great with the nightly synching and digital precision.

HIGHS
Size
Great fit
Feeling of quality
Full Auto EL
Double tangs
Perfect effort level to push buttons

LOWS
Illumination duration is short and not configurable
Loose strap keeper
Wife thinks it looks nerdy (still a digital snob)

SCORES
Fit/finish: 9/10
Crystal: 5/5
Dial/Bezel: 5/5
Lume: 4/5
Bracelet/Strap: 4/5
Accuracy: 5/5
Value: 9/10
Overall (not an average): 9/10

Size comparison to Orient Mako

MY BACKGROUND
Here is some background information about me. This may help clarify my point of view and what shapes my opinions. If there is anything I can do to help you with more information about the watches in my reviews, if you’d like more photos, etc, please let me know and I’ll try to help.

I am a computer programmer/analyst from a very small town in central Wisconsin. I am a husband and father to two boys, ages 3 and 1. My interests include digital photography (Canon SLR’s), watches (Japanese mainly), Apple computers, cars (Japanese and German), and LED flashlights. I am a self-professed perfectionist and appreciate an extreme attention to detail and like to have a sense of value for my money. I believe this is what draws me primarily to Japanese watches. I have written my reviews in an attempt to provide information that I found difficult myself (at least before finding WUS) to obtain. I typically research a new watch purchase for about 20 hours in an attempt to make sure I’m happy with my purchase.

TECHNICAL INFO
My measurements were all performed with a digital caliper accurate down to .01 mm and rounded to the nearest .05 mm. I believe these to be as accurate of measurements as I have seen anywhere and may differ from official specs and other websites. For reference in the photos, I have approximately a 6.5 inch wrist.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Fantastic review! I'm looking into one of these myself. Are you still as happy with it?

Also, would it be possible to get a shot with the backlight on? Those photos are great!!

Many thanks,
Tom

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry for not responding sooner, I didn't see I got any replies!

Yes, I'm still happy with it. It is a very nice watch and serves its purpose very well. I'll try to take a lume shot in the next few days, but usually I have difficulty with those :)

I think that maybe instead of the date you can display the day of the week, but I haven't tried lately--I definitely prefer the date (I typically know the day) :-!

·
Registered
182 Posts
top right button changes day / date

other than the shortness of the auto-el (which you become used to eventually) i found only 2 things i would have liked on mine.
a 24 hr count down timer instead of 60 mins
and the ability to see day date and time on the same screen.

great watch.

·
Registered
157 Posts
funny u say that about ur wife. a "ladyfriend" of mine says that my gshock(gwm5600) looks geeky. i argue thatmy watch will outlast any other haha

·
Registered
164 Posts
Damn, now I really want one of these. I wear my G-9010 for weeks at a time. The model you have reviewed here really catches my eye!
Strange that people are perceiving these as "geeky" watches -- this watch and others like it are often worn by soldiers, cops, etc. so how can they be geeky? o_O

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just bought one off Amazon. From what I've heard the only downfall it has is the 60 minute timer instead of the 24 hour timer. Not that big of deal for me since I have a 24hr timer on my GA100-1A1 already. This watch has great value since you get Tough Solar, Mud Resists, and 5 Band Atomic for reasonable price.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Just bought one off Amazon. From what I've heard the only downfall it has is the 60 minute timer instead of the 24 hour timer. Not that big of deal for me since I have a 24hr timer on my GA100-1A1 already. This watch has great value since you get Tough Solar, Mud Resists, and 5 Band Atomic for reasonable price.
Did you receive it yet? lets see some pics when you do please, I love the five eyed Muddy!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts