WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Because this watch has already been reviewed a few times in watch blogs, I will try to talk about things I personally feel that are different from what I saw in these reviews. I also did not see any review about this watch by an actual customer, so I am hoping this one will give an idea about the actual owning experience.

Previous reviews from watch blogs:
http://wornandwound.com/2014/03/05/christopher-ward-c1000-typhoon-review/
Christopher Ward C1000 Typhoon Watch Review | Watch It All About
Christopher Ward C1000 Typhoon FGR4 Watch Review | aBlogtoWatch

Here we go…

I have always wanted a chronograph. Originally my target was Sinn 103, 356 or Damasko DC56, but I figured that I don’t want to spend more than $1500. So I looked at a few watches from Hamilton and Archimede…etc, but then these watches did not really speak to me. I just felt nothing special about them.

I knew the c1000 for a while, but it was around 2K when it first came out, so it was out of my league back then. Last year they reduced the price significantly to $1375 (I remember something due to suppliers’ deal). So, I told myself then next time they have the 15% off I am buying this baby. Chr Ward usually have their 15% discount offer around Father’s day and before Christmas, and I think earlier this year they had 25% off, so anyone interested should pay attention during these times.

What really attracted me about the c1000 was the unique black ceramic case. I felt that it would be nice to have one in my collection.

IMG_0619-1.jpg

Ordering/shipping/packaging:

Ordering from Chr Ward was no problem. Website was very easy to use. Paid with a US credit card without transaction fees. Ordered on a Saturday, shipped on Monday from UK, and received exactly one week later in NY. Watch was tracked and delivered by USPS when it arrived at the US.
The watch arrived in perfect shape. It came with standard Chr Ward packaging, which includes a nice faux leather box, a cleaning cloth and papers.

First glance:

The matt finish of the pitch black case, the simple dial and simple contour of the case give the c1000 a strong military and tool look. The watch is aviation styled that blends well with the Typhoon theme. I also love that this watch has its own design characters and is not a direct copy/homage of other watches.

The 42mm watch fits nicely on my 6.75 inches wrist, but is probably as big as I would go. Lug-to-lug is around 50mm. I thought the 20mm lug width would be too skinny for the case, but in presence I feel this proportion is very nice and give the watch a tactical feel. The watch fits true to size at 42mm. The all black color does make the watch looks less substantial, but it still has a very strong wrist presence.

IMG_0618-1.jpg

Other reviews said that how much lighter the ceramic is than steel, but the watch was actually less lighter than I expected, probably because of the chunky weight of the Valjoux 7750 movement. This is not a bad thing, I mean, since I don’t really want my watch to weight like a feather. I would say the c1000 is pretty much the right weight. You feel it on your wrist, but overall the wear is very comfortable.

Time keeping is pretty good. It's around -10 sec/day.

The dial/hands/lume:

I think the dial looks great. Without date window, running seconds and excessive text, the dial is very simple and elegant for a chronograph. Although I personally think they can fit a date at 6-O’clock without being crowded. The blue minute indices look very cool. They are pale blue, just enough to make the dial pop but hard to notice without a close look.

R0017181-1.jpg

The printing on the dial is great, but I’m not a big fan of the font of CW logo. It just looks too tamed! Eventually I got used to it, but I seriously think CW should use different fonts for all of their sport watches.

Some people don’t like the cutoff minute marks, but I have no problem. I like the metal ring surrounding the subdials and the little triangle marks on them symbolizing the afterburner of Typhoon fighter jet. I did discover one small glitch that the printed triangle marks on the subdial rings are a little uneven, some appear larger than the others, but you really have to look very hard to see. Not a big deal for me.

R0017182-1.jpg

I do think the hour and minute hands can be a little more masculine, like those seen on Sinn or IWC aviation watches, but I can live with it. The hands have a gun metal color (titanium), which I like. Some people don’t like the chronograph second hand, or think the subdial hands are too small. I don’t have these problems. Love them all!

Nothing worth mentioning about the lume. It lasts for a few hours but is weak. Way below a Seiko diver.

The case/crystal:

The case is what I like most about this watch. This is a ceramic case with titanium movement holder. Pushers, crown and case back are all PVD titanium. The PVD titanium does scratch easily. I’ve already got some dings on them, but the ceramic case is very scratch resistant. I bumped it to doorknobs, glasses… etc, no problem! But I do want to warn you that if you bump into metal, there can be marks on the ceramic surface, not because it is scratched, but because the softer metal is left on the ceramic surface. Kind of like chalk writing on a blackboard. But it can be easily taken care of with some intense scrubbing.

R0017333-1.jpg
R0017339-1.jpg

The ceramic case does look rather different from a PVD coated stainless steel case. It reflects light softly and does not have that metallic feel of PVD. Sort of like a chunk of black rock. I enjoy it very much!

R0017334-1.jpg

The case shape also looks awesome, very military styled, very tatical, but not in your face bold. Can be dressed up or down. Water resistant is 50m, not bad but not great either. I hope they can bump it to 100m.

AR coating on the crystal is really good. I feel it’s a cliché to say that the crystal disappears in some angle, but it does! No blue hue typical of some AR. Also, the crystal is always very clear because something about this coating makes it impervious to oil and fingerprints.

The case back:

This case back is just phenomenal, super high quality! Made of titanium, it has a very deeply etched typhoon jet medallion. But because it doesn’t have sharp edges, it is still very confortable to wear. I also love the hex screws on the case back. Each watch has individual serial number, which I appreciate.

photo-1.jpg

The strap:

Not a fan for the OEM strap. It is stiff and the stitching is not very durable. I also think it is a little too black for an all black watch. CW has since updated it with new straps so I hope they are better.

That said, this watch is heaven for strap junkies like me. Put it on a Nato, leather, rubber or Zulu (20mm), they all look nice and give it a different look (I attached some strap pics below). I only wish it had drill through lug holes so I can change straps fast. My favorite strap for my Typhoon now is the GasGasBone SPV1. It gives the watch a really badass military look!

IMG_0716-1.jpg
R0017303-1.jpg
IMG_0740-1.jpg
R0017329-1.jpg

Conclusion:

I have had this watch for 10 months now, and I absolutely love it. It is a keeper for sure. There are things that this watch lack, but considering the price it is quite phenomenal. After all, where can you get a mechanical chronograph in a ceramic case a little over 1k, and all these with a 5 years warranty? Although this watch is not for everyone, I would recommend it to anyone who likes military/tool style chronographs, and someone who is drawn by a ceramic case.

Note: a new typhoon has just been released by CW. Check out here. I still like this old one better because of the cleaner look. Plus, this is a great time to pick up the old version because they may have old model sale soon.

Pros:
- Beautiful ceramic case and military style
- Clean and very legible dial
- Very good AR coating on crystal
- Great case back engraving
- Versatile style match well with different straps
- Great service and warranty from CW
- Price is fair

Cons:
- Lume is weak
- Only 50m water resistance
- Titanium pushers and crown scratch more easily
- No lug holes
- Stiff OEM strap (old model)
- Some small details of the dial can be improved (printing on subdial rings; CW logo; hands)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for your review. Nice photos too.

Reactions: jaychung

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
Yesterday I received this "cockpit" variant of the CW. It was very well priced on their recent sale.
I have to say, it is a truly nice watch, the ceramic elevates it and it has a great feel.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just taken delivery of one of the last cockpit editions,I have liked this watch since it first appeared and have compared it to a good number of others ,some of which cost upto 10 times the amount I paid.I should say I got it for £547 as it was in the half price sale. No matter which other watches I saw I kept coming back to this one,my impressions are it is very light,the strap is very comfortable straight out of the box.I just love the colours and whilst I know there have been some comments about the CW logo,for me it makes absolutely no difference ,I like that too.I also like the lack of a date window( they annoy me for some reason) and I really like the lack of a sweeping second hand,again,maybe I am strange but I do like the lack of movement on the dial.I was concerned about it looking too big but it wears quite small,again something I like,so for me the perfect watch thank you.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
Just taken delivery of one of the last cockpit editions,I have liked this watch since it first appeared and have compared it to a good number of others ,some of which cost upto 10 times the amount I paid.I should say I got it for £547 as it was in the half price sale. No matter which other watches I saw I kept coming back to this one,my impressions are it is very light,the strap is very comfortable straight out of the box.I just love the colours and whilst I know there have been some comments about the CW logo,for me it makes absolutely no difference ,I like that too.I also like the lack of a date window( they annoy me for some reason) and I really like the lack of a sweeping second hand,again,maybe I am strange but I do like the lack of movement on the dial.I was concerned about it looking too big but it wears quite small,again something I like,so for me the perfect watch thank you.
Wearing mine now. Indeed the lack of seconds movement on the dial is relaxing. And you don't obsess if it is more than 5s off per day!
The ceramic case has a great feel to it as well.
I find it a remarkably good deal at half price.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Wearing mine now. Indeed the lack of seconds movement on the dial is relaxing. And you don't obsess if it is more than 5s off per day!
The ceramic case has a great feel to it as well.
I find it a remarkably good deal at half price.
You have excellent taste sir,in all honesty if it was a couple of minutes off per day I wouldn't see it as a problem,it would still be my first choice .There were only two other watches which came close and both were over £4000 ,and I honestly couldn't bring myself to like them more no matter how hard I tried,thanks for the comment,all the best.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I agree with you. I've tried the IWC top gun ceramic at a dealer a while ago and was not blown away given the price. The case construction of the IWC is not even that better than the CW either. The CW is also a much smaller watch that fits better on my wrist. But I do have to say that the IWC is handsome and the flyback movement is interesting.

Anyway, great choice guys!

You have excellent taste sir,in all honesty if it was a couple of minutes off per day I wouldn't see it as a problem,it would still be my first choice .There were only two other watches which came close and both were over £4000 ,and I honestly couldn't bring myself to like them more no matter how hard I tried,thanks for the comment,all the best.

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
Interesting that they added CW to the rotor while almost nobody would see it.
Is that one of those modern Hirsch straps you have it on? Front picture please?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Interesting that they added CW to the rotor while almost nobody would see it.
Is that one of those modern Hirsch straps you have it on? Front picture please?
Yes, it is a Hirsch James strap. These are actually pictures of my OP:

R0017303-1.jpg
IMG_0716-1.jpg

Funny I have been switching back to the original CW strap for a while now. Not that the James strap is not good, in fact it has superb quality and probably much better than the CW strap, but somehow I think the CW strap fits the military look better. Plus I like to CW buckle a lot.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
That Hirsch strap works well with it. I kept mine so far on the nylon stock strap of the cockpit variant, I find it quite a nice combination and comfortable as well.

Regarding the mention of the IWC Top Gun watch, I was so impressed with the general finish of the Christopher Ward that I thought, if it would say IWC on the dial, people would believe it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts