WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the search to find more Titanium sports watches due to their light weight nature, I stumbled upon the Concord C1.

Concord has been quite a polarizing brand over here on WUS. While they have a good amount of history and are a well recognized brand in many parts of the world, the US market doesn't really care too much about them. They also took quite a drastic turn in design and execution a few years back. While I've always been interested in the new series, a lot of them didnt quite appeal to me due to their size and color schemes. But then there was this one watch that showed up, in shades of Grey...

Here it is, the Concord Titanium+Ceramic C1 Automatic Chronograph
WP_20150907_002.jpg

The C1 is their "bigger and badder" line of watches if you want to call it that. I'm not into big watches much and I especially dont like heavy watches. I appreciate a good 40mm light weight sweet spot. That said, I've been trying some of the larger sports watches in titanium and have found some real winners. While there are people who dislike Ti for not being as "shiny" as SS, I love Ti. It makes perfect sense on a sports watch as it makes it lighter and more functional and doesnt get in the way.

WP_20150907_004.jpg

The C1 chronograph comes on a large chunky looking 45mm case and has a familiar Audemars Piguet Royal style look in some ways but there are more than enough design elements to keep the watch unique and Concord. The Octagonal case design with round bezel works well. The black squares on the Bezel are Ceramic and they extend from the bezel insert in the middle. The outer bezel is Sand blasted. The buttons are ceramic as well and the crown is perfectly sized. The case is curved on the sides and soft to touch, the spacing on the top and the multi layered construction, really make the watch stand out and make it unique.

WP_20150907_003.jpg

The dial has great depth with the patterning and the polished markers and hands are very well polished and catch light really well. A really cool touch is the three sided polished date window shaped like their logo, thats just a subtle but superb design choice IMO. The chrono registers have octagonal bezels to go with the theme and good clear consistent lume on hands and markers completes the dial. Overall, the attention to detail and design clearly shows and they have ensured an interesting and unique execution. The crystal is a thick double coated sapphire that has a bevel at the edge to catch light and give an extra oomph.

WP_20150907_007.jpg

The other surprise is a see through sapphire caseback to see a superbly decorated 7750. I dont think I've seen such a highly decorated 7750 before. Its a mix of all sorts of decorations, blued screws, plating, geneve stripes, perlage, DLC custom finished rotor etc. It looks absolutely brilliant.
WP_20150907_005.jpg

While the watch may look big and chunky, its supremely comfy to wear and this is because of the strap which is a stunning Alligator rubber strap, yes you read it right, Geniune Alligator on a rubber strap. It looks and works incredibly well on the watch. The strap is wide where it joins the case and appears to be attached by two screws. But it tapers down perfectly and wraps around really well on my sub 7 wrist with a combination of a dual deployment and tang buckle. You set the hole with a tang buckle, but can close and open the clasp with buttons like a deployment clasp. Its an elegant and comfortable implementation which a LOT of brands get wrong.

Overall fit and finish, case construction, materials used, movement finishing (mine is running +2 after 3 days!), etc are all really up there with the top players. While the design may not be to everyones taste, this is one heck of a sports watch with some very unique elements. I am quite impressed by how such a big watch is so easy to wear even though this is the largest watch in my entire collection. Here it is on my wrist.
WP_20150907_011.jpg

Cheers folks!

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
That one looks like a nice sporty wear. Thanks for the review and enjoy your Concord!

·
Premium Member
7,350 Posts
As it happens, I just acquired a first-year Concord C1 Big-Date. On my earlier model, the case is tell, but those black squares are rubber (as is the whole strap). I agree with your assessment--the fit and finish of the watch easily supports their retail price point, and the styling is really no more "out there" than similar watches from AP and Hublot, both of which are much more expensive.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439755569.976007.jpg

The finish work on the movement is done by La Joux Perret. Their haute-horlogerie pieces used movements made by BNB, but that company failed and now Concord only offers their regular lines with the La Joux Perret-modified and complicated ETA movements.

Congratulations on a great watch.

Rick "noting that the current C1 design is reeled in a bit compared to the first series from 2009" Denney

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Very cool watch - it's something that stands out in a good way. Concord watches have nicely decorated movements - my Saratoga similarly has an impressively decorated 2892...the best finished movement of any watch I own!

NM

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Good review. The coherence of that model is good; glad they resisted putting gold on it.
Is there some sort of reinforcement in the strap where it screws to the case? I would not think they would just be relying on the the screw head pinching some rubbery alligator to hold it all together while one is out there "sporting" and such. And is there any additional shock resistance built in to keep it ticking after I smash an inside-out forehand?

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
As it happens, I just acquired a first-year Concord C1 Big-Date. On my earlier model, the case is tell, but those black squares are rubber (as is the whole strap). I agree with your assessment--the fit and finish of the watch easily supports their retail price point, and the styling is really no more "out there" than similar watches from AP and Hublot, both of which are much more expensive.

View attachment 5277746

The finish work on the movement is done by La Joux Perret. Their haute-horlogerie pieces used movements made by BNB, but that company failed and now Concord only offers their regular lines with the La Joux Perret-modified and complicated ETA movements.

Congratulations on a great watch.

Rick "noting that the current C1 design is reeled in a bit compared to the first series from 2009" Denney
What has happened to you my friend?? You have migrated to Concord?? How does one go from Ebel anything to Concord C1? Was it an epiphany? A mid life crisis (er, mid late)? My influence? I like it. Should you ever decide to sell it because you grew tired of it or returned to your senses, please call.

Reactions: Rdenney

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
I had forgotten about this watch. It is a wonderful design, by a top company. I would be proud to own this.

Reactions: jilgiljongiljing

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Good review. The coherence of that model is good; glad they resisted putting gold on it.
Is there some sort of reinforcement in the strap where it screws to the case? I would not think they would just be relying on the the screw head pinching some rubbery alligator to hold it all together while one is out there "sporting" and such. And is there any additional shock resistance built in to keep it ticking after I smash an inside-out forehand?
I think the end of the strap has built in metal housing of some sort through which the screws go through, it feels very secure and very well integrated and not at all like two screws are going through the material to hold it in place.

I just cant get over this strap though, its pure genius. I don't know if others have done this before, but combining a quality rubber strap with an alligator topping gives you best of both worlds and you are NEVER gonna hear anyone complain "its just a rubber strap" on this one :)

PS: Also, there are a few Gold models on this one as well :) they have to cater to that market no matter what!

·
Premium Member
7,350 Posts
What has happened to you my friend?? You have migrated to Concord?? How does one go from Ebel anything to Concord C1? Was it an epiphany? A mid life crisis (er, mid late)? My influence? I like it. Should you ever decide to sell it because you grew tired of it or returned to your senses, please call.
I bought this a few weeks ago, and reported on it elsewhere with a nod in your direction. This is definitely your kind of watch--aggressively designed, very comfortable, extremely readable despite having a highly decorated dial, and with a crown that can be operated wearing gloves. It's also water resistant to 200m, which I know is a requirement for you for most watches. Ashford was darn near giving them away, and might still be.

And there is no question I would never have considered it without having tried on a few of your watches. This in no way means I like the Ebels any less, and some of those are also aggressively designed. But, as you say, growing in a hobby requires expanding one's horizons. I'm up to three Concords now (a Mariner diver, a Zenith-powered Impresario GMT, and this C1 Big Date), but the C1 is the one where you were in my thoughts as I bought it.

Rick "who has already collected most interesting Ebels" Denney

·
Premium Member
7,350 Posts
I think the end of the strap has built in metal housing of some sort through which the screws go through, it feels very secure and very well integrated and not at all like two screws are going through the material to hold it in place.

I just cant get over this strap though, its pure genius. I don't know if others have done this before, but combining a quality rubber strap with an alligator topping gives you best of both worlds and you are NEVER gonna hear anyone complain "its just a rubber strap" on this one :)
All Concord and Ebel straps that are attached with two screws have metal bars inside the strap connecting the two screw holes. The screws do not directly bear against the strap material.

Even the plain rubber straps on the C1 are superb. I prefer the rubber strap on my C1 Big Date--the watch has 200m WR and a screw-down crown. With animal hide on the strap, I'm constrained from letting it get wet.

Rick "based on what I paid, Concord is a grossly underrated brand" Denney

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
My Zenith has the same gator or croc mounted on a rubber understrap. Yes - a good solution for longer wear and better looks, hopefully.

Reactions: Veda

·
Banned
5,307 Posts
My Zenith has the same gator or croc mounted on a rubber understrap. Yes - a good solution for longer wear and better looks, hopefully.
I love Zenith's more than pure croc strap. In regard to the Concord chrono yes it's pretty cheap on the street and good quality but my wrist can never handle the size.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Nice review and a unique looking watch, I never heard of Concord so I checked out their site. I can see why the US market might not care for them.
Looking at their Mariner, they seem out of touch, maybe Ok for sipping vintage scotch on a docked 63’ Hatteras. Their “About Us” story reads as if a literary scholar wrote it,
and a heavy majority of their store locations are costal, probably major cruise line destinations.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nice review and a unique looking watch, I never heard of Concord so I checked out their site. I can see why the US market might not care for them.
Looking at their Mariner, they seem out of touch, maybe Ok for sipping vintage scotch on a docked 63’ Hatteras. Their “About Us” story reads as if a literary scholar wrote it,
and a heavy majority of their store locations are costal, probably major cruise line destinations.
Agree about the marketting nonsense.

I think the Mariner Automatic on bracelet with Black dial looks really nice. The list price for the level of quality you get isn't too bad either.
mariner.jpg

1 - 20 of 44 Posts