WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.

I thought I would post a review of the jack Mason 42mm Aviator quartz watch, model JM-A101-007. A couple months ago, I was looking for a entry into vintage style Aviation watches which left me with 3 brands:

Citizen
Dan Henry
Jack Mason

I know there are others like Junkers and what not, but I wanted to see first if I like the style. I have a lot of Seiko's and Vostok watches, and only have one chrono as I tend to go for simple dial, less busy, clean watches (though I am now shopping for a nice budget chrono). None of the DH's are available on their site right now, so I went ahead and procured the Citizen AW1361-10H which is already well reviewed, and I love it albeit it a bit going on with the dial.

So I saw some folks link to the Jack Mason, and it seemed to tick all the boxes for me. Clean dial, 42mm (my preferred size) and case has some heft. So first off, I can attest to what others have said - these watches look much better in person. Pictures do not do them justice. I was quite surprised by the quality and heft. This one came with a nato strap...

20180927_203544.jpg

Like a lo t of folks on here I have loads of Nato and Zulu straps, this one was ok...but it had to go. It just didn't do the watch justice. I did like that the watch came with quick release spring bars.

20180927_203642.jpg

I changed it out to a Barton quick release leather strap and it really brought the watch to life in my opinion. I also like the case back on it, kinda retro...

20180927_204052.jpg

The dial is very clean, and as I said, a substantial case. Easy to wear, no significant fatigue with this light weight and soft strap. Dial and hands are clean, crisp and very nice. Better in person...

20180929_092424.jpg 20180929_092415.jpg

Here is some comparisons size wise with the 45mm Citizen and a 42mm Seiko. Notice its not quite as thick as the Seiko as the bezel gives it another mm or two over the others...

20180929_120007.jpg 20180929_120003.jpg 20180929_115930.jpg 20180929_115920.jpg 20180929_082512.jpg

At first I was not sure if I like it, but now I'm quite happy with it. Now if only some DH's will come available. Anyway, just thought I would post in case someone is considering getting one.

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I have 2 Jack Mason watches and I'm very impressed with their quality and finish details. The engraved case backs and crowns rival anything I've seen anywhere else. Clean (even when magnified) dials as the OP stated, cases that have the appropriate heft and beautifully finally shed. I paid $135 for the Aviator Chrono (Sierra Trading) and $125 for the racer Chrono (NordstromRack) and I'd call them great value for the dollar.

View attachment 13517797

image.jpeg

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Looks great OP.

Random nitpick-ity question - does the second hand hit the chapter ring indices closely, (i.e. meet the "markers") or is it off?

The "faux aged" lume looks surprisingly good as well. May have to pick up one.....finances allowing.

·
Registered
53 Posts
While not an aviator I recently picked up this watch. It has a solid brass case with a tag that said over time it will patina... Overall I'm surprised by the quality of this brand so far:

JM (2).jpg

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
I really like the case back! Mostly the back seems like an afterthought and brands just engrave any random semi-related image on there, but this one looks like they've spent some time on it. The finishing on the hands looks a little off, though. The edges seem a bit rough, or is that just the photo? Also, how's the lume?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. My Citizen eco drive matches the chapter ring indices spot on. But this one like most quartz's in this price range are a fraction off.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I really like the case back! Mostly the back seems like an afterthought and brands just engrave any random semi-related image on there, but this one looks like they've spent some time on it. The finishing on the hands looks a little off, though. The edges seem a bit rough, or is that just the photo? Also, how's the lume?
To me it looks cleaner in person, if you like I can get some different shots under better light to show the dial.

Lume is ok. Wore it out at the fire pit and walking around this past weekend, I'd say typical 30m lume.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Sorry to wake an old thread but I just grabbed two of these (gun metal chrono and standard pilot) for short money and really liking both! Both have the issue of the second hand not aligning with the chapter ring but I can fix that easily enough. The standard pilot actually appears to have some light AR coating! Lume is average but I wore it overnight and I could easily read it all night long. It's not Lumibrite but I have seen far worse.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts