WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Review of the Casio G-Shock GW-5000-1JF

I have had my Casio GW-5000-1JF for two weeks now and I wanted to provide some feedback and some photos.

Previously I wore the GW-9200-1 Riseman on a daily basis. I liked the size, weight, functions but I was intrigued by the new GW-5000 as it takes me back to the DW-5000 of my youth.

I bought a GW-5600-J1 at a local shop to see if I would like the size and form-factor and I decided it would work for me.

I ordered the watch from Seiya in Tokyo and four days later it was on my wrist in Colorado. I did a manual sync and I was in business. Being in Colorado I was not worried about the signal reception.

The first thing I noticed was the band. It is less reflective than the GW-5600 and much more flexible. It feels like a higher quality resin and it is super comfortable.

I really like size and weight and I like the fact that the watch fits under the cuff of a long sleeve shirt.

Better than the GW-5600 I like seeing the day and date at the same time. I like the 24 hours timer and the 24 hour stopwatch. During the week I use three of the alarms with my daily schedule and I found this watch alarm to be louder than my GW-5600.

After reading some reviews I was worried that it would feel too small on my 7.5 inch wrist but my worries were unfounded. Reading reviews also got me interested in the Seiko SBPG001 and I bought one of those from Seiya as well. Both are great watches but I do not consider them to interchangeable.

This watch costs a bit more but I feel that the quality and functionality are worth the extra cost and as I have spent much-much more on watches I like less the cost to me is relatively cheap.

I took a few quick photos- enjoy.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Congrats! That is one beautiful watch, actually it has kinda become my grail! I am concidering flipping one of my Frogs to get one. The best price I have been able to find is around 320, an ebay seller.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Congrats! That is one beautiful watch, actually it has kinda become my grail! I am concidering flipping one of my Frogs to get one. The best price I have been able to find is around 320, an ebay seller.
Here's Chino's Link to that model. I've had really great experiences with them. As easy as Amazon. Fill out the order, they ask you for PayPal payment and about four days later you receive it. Really fast, super efficient, and extremely well packaged and protected from damage during shipping.

http://c-watch.co.jp/ww/casi5.html

Cheers...

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
I was worried that it would feel too small on my 7.5 inch wrist but my worries were unfounded.
I've learned the hard way that the different 5600 models all have different length straps. A unique situation that frankly I do not understand.

The only one that has a strap long enough for me is the GW5600J-1. A watch I like. Yet that said the model that you have is far superior but I wonder just what strap size Casio has arbitrarily assigned to this model.

What hole do you buckle yours in? How many holes from the end of the strap?

I have an 8" wrist, do you think it would fit me? And keep the strap keeper in place?

Thanks...:-!

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Here's Chino's Link to that model. I've had really great experiences with them. As easy as Amazon. Fill out the order, they ask you for PayPal payment and about four days later you receive it. Really fast, super efficient, and extremely well packaged and protected from damage during shipping.

http://c-watch.co.jp/ww/casi5.html

Cheers...

Thanks, good to know, I just saved this to favorites, I have been wanting one for a long while now.:-!

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
even cheaper then Seiyas
I have a high degree of respect for Seiya, as I've read nothing but good about him. But due to the fact that he did not have a watch that I wanted and could not give me a date or possibility of getting it I tried Chino.

My experience with Chino has been simply outstanding, and I am very, very picky.

I cannot say enough good things about the stellar buying experience. Customer follow up, and complete service.

Cheers...;-)

·
Registered
2,453 Posts

Seiya is probably one of the best sellers at least what i heard...just saying that chino was about $50 cheaper and for $50 you get a DW5600E
;-)
I understand exactly what you said and why. I was merely communicating why I have been using Chino.. they are both good.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hello, new to the forum. I also have this watch and have the same opinions of it. It is of very high quality, and well worth the price.

Gotta love the squares. 26 years later and they still make people smile.

Paolo

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
thanks for the review and welcome to the forum, by the way.

the gw5000 has absolutely moved to the top of my lineup. it really does feel great. it'll probably get 80% of my g-shock time if and until an atomic frog edition captures my heart (and visa). and actually, i'd love another color option on the gw5000... a bit of blue or red or yellow maybe.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have a 7.5 inch wrist and I am on the 6th hole from the end of the strap.

I've learned the hard way that the different 5600 models all have different length straps. A unique situation that frankly I do not understand.

The only one that has a strap long enough for me is the GW5600J-1. A watch I like. Yet that said the model that you have is far superior but I wonder just what strap size Casio has arbitrarily assigned to this model.

What hole do you buckle yours in? How many holes from the end of the strap?

I have an 8" wrist, do you think it would fit me? And keep the strap keeper in place?

Thanks...:-!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi - we have this in common. The 5000 also became my Grail, and I'm about to accomplish my Holy Quest, since I ordered one from Chino Watch just yesterday! By the way, by US$299, shipping included.

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Hi - we have this in common. The 5000 also became my Grail, and I'm about to accomplish my Holy Quest, since I ordered one from Chino Watch just yesterday! By the way, by US$299, shipping included.
This is a very recent price reduction, I drool over this watch but Seiya told me the maximum wrist size is 200mm and mine is 206mm.

What's a guy to do?

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
i've got to say, that is cool that seiya has that stat on hand. is that in the manual and he's passing it on or is he actually measuring for himself, i wonder. (i'll check)

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Great GW5000 . I was wondering if there is a similar model without tough solar ?? The only one I know is the GLX5600 (very similar), but it's a G-lide.
So is there a modern Gshock (with all the features of the GW5000 or GW5600, not DW5600) but with regular battery ??

1 - 20 of 30 Posts