WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive seen this brand around on ebay for awhile, and a few people asking questions, but NO solid answers were given. so i hope to shed some light on this brand and the quality of it.

My review of the ChronoMat GMT:
i decided to pick this watch up off ebay, and for $60 plus $15 for shipping to NA, it didnt sound like a bad deal. ok so lets begin:

First impressions; this watch looks beautiful, demands respect and looks very professional. Upon picking it up, i realise i dont care too much for the light weight of it. it feels a bit cheap in your hand and this is probably due ot the almost useless bracelt that comes with it.

the bracelet feels cheap, the kind thats found on $20 quartz rolex knockoffs, Probably hollow and plated. It almost feels like aluminum (and maybe it is). this would be one thing i would definietly change. this watch feels cheap on your wrist but looks so amazing at the same time. a constant reminder that youre wearing this watch is the sharp clasp (thin sheet metal, stainless plated)digging into your wrist, an instant dislike and comfort issue. the bracelet is linked together with screws and is easy enough to adjust. Upon inspecting the bracelet i find on the clasp lock a spot of tarnish, theres a bit of black, and some superficial rust, that would buff out, but shouldnt be there in the first place. This speaks low volumes about quality so far, but wont ultimatley decide the fate of this watch.

AGAIN this watch looks damn good, and it should because its a near damn exact copy of the GMT master itself. the bezel ratchets with satisfactory with each turn. however its NOT bi directional and a bit loose (it can be wiggled). The cyrstal im going to assume is mineral and has a nice raised edge that lets it sit above the bezel. The cyclops magnification isnt 2.5X but a standard size as found on most NON swiss watches. The dial and hands(the extended kind of second hand that touches the end of the second markers, not found on typical asian watches) look gorgeous, the dial has sharp print, however i found a couple specs of dust on the dial, literally two visible particles. The dial claims 660feet, and im willing to bet there isnt a rubber gasket on the insde of the case, ill find that out for myself in due time. BUT im willing to bet if this is water resistant to 660ft, so is a submarine with a screen door. I wont be doing much more than
washing my hands with this watch on...and maybe NOT even.

Ok, now time to set my watch; i unscrew and pull out the crown, i wind it a couple times and notice it has a rather satisfying winding feel and noise, like some of my older manual wind 17jewel watches. The sweep is rather smooth, even more so than a few Alphas ive owned. The manufacturer claims 21jewels, and i roughly calculate the BPH to 21,600. ok now time to set the time, 24hour hand and date. i try to pull out the crown further its rather stiff and takes a fingernail and almost all my strength to get it out. I already dont like this. the first stop sets the date turning the crown counter clockwise, and sets the 24hour hand turning the crown
clockwise. ok it works...i guess? the gmt is hard to calculate since the hour hand is already between hours, so ill come back to this after setting some other stuff. Now time to set the hour and minute hand, again some excessive force and after brusing my thumb tip it pops out, well it's
good to see that this watch has at least a hack movement. i set the current time, and watch the GMT hand fly around the dial in sync with the hour hand, i make sure im in the right meridian and push it back in. NOW the manufacturer claims this model has "real 2nd time zone" THIS WATCH HOUR HAND DOES NOT MOVE INDEPENDENTLY, so im not sure what a 'fake 2nd time zone' would have been. so i deal with this and decide to wait for the top of the hour to set the GMT to its correct 24hour time. It comes around and i set it, going through the same pain staking process of pulling out the crown (ow, my poor finger tips)

i leave my watch for awhile, i check back an hour later and realise the GMT hand hasnt moved the right distance in the proper amount of time. i begin to experiment, and by now i cant take pulling out this crown any more so i use the "hang tag" string that came with the watch, wrap it
around the crown and pull.... MUCH better, but it may warp the stem and/or stem wig-wag pin (oh well, it works and saves my fingers which at the tip was dark red) i finally come to the conclusion it takes 16minutes for the gear movement on the GMT hand to engage. so i decide to
wait for my watch to go around the dial and 16 minutes BEFORE the top of the hour set the GMT to allow for the lag to engage. 5:44pm DONE AND DONE. it engages and works fine. to change my time zone i figure im just going to rotate the bezel to reflect 24hour time in a different time zone.
NOT a true GMT watch BUT still functional. Pushing the crown back in sometime doesnt engage or clicks roughly. i dont like using the crown on this watch...to say the least.

As for time keeping i havnt checked officially BUT my rough estimates are that it runs 20secs slow a day, albeit ONLY a couple days old (to me) so perhaps it will adjust a bit in a few months, if not ill regulate.

The chronomat warranty claims lifetime, and even if you open it and muck around...but then youre only covered for parts. shipping may very well out price this watch in the long run.

so for $80 delivered (MSRP $200)would i buy it again? probably. thats the thing it only cost $80 and looks damn good, functions 3/4 the way it should, and oh yeah looks damn good (it should its an almost exact copy of the GMT master with out any trademark infringed logos) im rather disappointed with the bracelet, and will probably replace it (dark blue leather perhaps)but again its $80 and ive owned worse for much more. i expect this watch to break in a couple years due to issues with the crown, but ill try my best to prevent this.

A few end notes and some more observations:

the solid end link and the bracelt arent compatible. the watch cant sit flat on a flat surface. the end link and the first link of the bracelet are incompatible and enough space was alotted for it to pass and lay flat.

the case backing is rolex style(bergeon bit), but the thread on the case back seems malformed in some parts, not stripped just not molded properly.

the lume is decent(?). ive seen better and ive seen worse. after a 10 second charge under tungsten light its visible for probably a minute or two. the Lume is dial painted, not filled in metal retainers like on typical asian hommages of oyster sport watches, i prefer the painted style. i also like the look of the slightly yellowed lume markers.

at some points during its journey around the dial the second hand and the minute hand dont line up exactly with the minute markers when the second hand gets to the 60sec mark. i only see this at the 6oclock end of the dial.

if my watch were to ever wind down (from other watches gaining wrist time)from now on id just adjust every thing by turning the minute hand ahead in time to again achieve everything set correctly instead of independently setting everything, and dealing with the calculations and GMT lag time.

the hour hand, and minute hand shift slightly back and forth when adjusting the GMT hand. which doesnt say much about it being of poor quality since if seen several genuine GMT masters do this as well.

date changes promptly at 12am, doesnt start to roll over for a 3hour period between 9 and 12, thats an esthetic +

SUMMARY (finally : )

STYLE: 5/5 albeit not original, you cant deny it looks good, i dont care how unoriginal it is. and for all those that would give it a 1 for style go buy me a $7,500GMT master and ill agree with you. price difference $7,420

CASE: 3/5 malformed thread on case back, bezel is NOT bidirectional and wobbles slightly IF played with

MOVEMENT: 4/5 for this price, it works better than expected (inside inspection to come later)

BRACELET: 1.5/5 looks good from far, feels cheap, hollow, and is a pain to wear, also doesnt fit the case properly, PROBABLY NOT stainless steel (rust kind of proves this)

OVER ALL for an $80 delivered Automatic GMT watch 3.25/5
improve the bracelet and this could get bumped to a 4.25 i'd prefer thinner links for even slightly better quality this is bottom of the barrel.
i believe this watch to look better than the Alpha offering of the GMT, but im sure the Alpha has a better bracelet.

agreed this watch needs a few refining qualities in its craftsmanship. most are convience or personal expectations but FOR $80 i dont give a ....
so THERE you go :) now you know.

check back later for when i decide to open and regulate this watch after the break in period. (internal inspection and picture of movement to follow)

Attachments

·
Banned
8,921 Posts
Excellent review and probably one of the most objective I've read in some time :)
Thanks.

Looking forward to seeing what's inside and I suspect it will be the same as what we find in most of the Alpha GMTs :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
INSIDE the Chrono- GMT

printed faintly on the rotor "591HZ 35ZUAN"

after trying to place it it looks close to this:

SB1ZZ
Automatic
Diam.: 26.3 mm
Height: 5.5 mm

29.5mm bit on the oyster tool

the gasket actually looks nice and thick, 600meters? i dont think so. MAYBE 200m, ive seen worse sealing on seikos rated to 200m so by that logic probably 200. if the crown had an o-ring i could give it maybe 100m more.

this is a nice looking movement, better looking than what ive seen inside many alphas the quality wasnt as atrocious as i thought. the rolex marking on the inside of the case lug really made me doubt.

now time for a quick adjustment of the regulator, screw the back on barely finger tight, and off to the timming races using the alpah newman stopwatch to fine tune it.

stay tuned, i'll let you all know how that turns out.

*on a side note the picture with the bracelet and end link being pushed down illustrates what i was saying form the above post that this is as far as the band and that link will allow you to bend it.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
the gasket actually looks nice and thick, 600meters
I believe the dial states 600ft/200m

The one I have was tested and is good to at least 10 ATM.

And Max, you must have an earlier version, the one I have has a 120 click bezel.

There is quite a bit of backlash in the GMT hand, so getting the GMT hand to properly align at the top of the hour does requires a bit of fiddling.

Believe it, not not, these are very close the size and weight of the older versions of the Rolex GMT, so if you find one of these too light and insubstantial, you would probably be disappointed in a real GMT as well.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
my bad : ) too much reading about tachumeisters... 200m=660ft the dial DOES say : )

on a side note. i dropped this watch accidentally from a height of 3feet onto carpet. it kept ticking. but when i opened it up again i noticed the rotor got stuck on the gear chassis when it tries to rotate. so i think the bearing or something got unbalanced. BUT after manually rotating the rotor it spins freely again. so i dont know. but in short it survived a 3' drop.

ive now regulated this to within +12seconds a day. i need a REALLY clean enviroment, everytime i open it up new particulate finds its way under the crystal, albeit hardly noticable, when looking i still see it , and its annoying.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
Most impressive!! Cheers, gigfy

·
Banned
772 Posts
Wow! That's great accuracy! Even for me, accuracy crazy guy :)

I just got my GMT today and it looks gorgeous. I will write a more detailed info about it very shortly.

Best regards . . .

Serdal
Master Mariner
North Van., Canada

·
Banned
772 Posts
I had promised for detailed info about my Chronomat and here I am keeping my promise even it is a bit late. Better late than never ;)

It looks gorgeous, hacks nicely. The accuracy is not bad at all, very roughly -/+10-12 secs a day or so even though I hadn't worn it continuously, so the movement had not settled down completely.

The bracelet never bothered me. Yes, entire watch was a bit light weight. I like to feel the weight of my time piece, but I could adjust that by the time.

Lumination was not great. I was thinking of getting Superluminova in it till.....

Till I noticed that entire dial was moving sideways when I pulled the winding crown out and pushed it back in. At that moment I was disappointed and lost my all appetite. I later on gave it to my bro-in-law when I was on vacation in Asia this June. (My boos, I mean wife (!) is Pinay) He said the watch died 1 week later :((( I was embarrassed first of all to him, and it made me very upset that that beautiful timepiece was gone!

These are the infos and experiences I had with Chronomat GMT Coke bezel. I wouldn't mind getting one again later in the future. It also cost me a bit higher than the price I am reading in the WUS forums. $110 + $15 shipping.

Best Regards . . .

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Mine has been running an avg of +40/day fast over the past week. Not a bad watch overall, except I'm currently struggling with bezel re-installation :(

I bought an Alpha Pepsi insert to replace my Coke insert and I can't get the spring/bezel to go back on arrgh.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts