WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently purchased the G-200-1EV off of e-bay. The cost was $46.00 to my door. It is my second "stainless steel" G, although I question the aptness of this term as it relates to this watch because of the abundance of plastic accents on the case. My other stainless is a GW-1400 which I wear as my dress watch.

I had never heard of this model prior to bidding on it. I inquired on this forum, and Tribe125 was kind of enough to reply and opine that he thought it was basically the G-100 in a metal case. He questioned however the suitability of this model in a metal case.

Tribe125's concern is not without basis, however after wearing the watch a few days, I have concluded that while the plastic does detract from its appearance, it blends in well with the stainless steel. I guess at this price point, I cannot reasonably expect a full stainless G. Upon showing the watch to a friend, he said, "It looks like it came out of a gum ball machine." I think he was just trying to be hurtful, and I don’t agree with his assessment.

The oyster bracelet is very comfortable and all stainless steel. I have a Seiko auto diver and an expensive German auto on stainless bracelets, and I rate the Casio oyster bracelet as superior in terms of comfort and ease of use.

I was surprised that its module was 2387, as the G-100 has module 2327. (I’m not sure what if any difference exist between the two. A cursory review suggests that they are the same.) Its four pushers are (surprisingly) stainless steel. (My GW-1400 has plastic pushers.) Most people accustomed to Gs, I think, will be thrown off by the pusher function assignments. For instance, the top left pusher is the hand set function. Most G users push the top left to switch modes, and hold it down to adjust timekeeping features. Push that button on the G-200 and watch the minute hand advance 20 seconds. Hold it down and the minute hand advances continuously. Thus for the first day of its use, I kept accidentally pushing the handset button when I wanted to switch modes. This required me to reset the time on the watch, which is itself a laborious procedure, considering the hands only advance and do not go backward.

The LCD screen can display the day and date, the time with seconds, the alarm time or status, the stopwatch (full 24-hour) or dual time. Alas, no countdown timer. A further disappointment is that you cannot go from digital time to date with just one push of the mode button. That takes four pushes.

The light is a red LED. Some might like it. Others might find it gimmicky. Sorry no photos of the light. At the time of writing this review it is full daylight in Los Angeles. If there’s any real interest, I would add it to this review.

Overall, I think this watch can pass as a dressy G if you cannot or do not wish to spend the dough on an a better all-metal model. I think it has a kind of classic look. It will get some wrist time because of its comfort and passable looks. I’m not wild about the features and functionality, but then again I’ve yet to come across a G that fulfills all desired qualities.

Side by side-- GW-1400 and G-200. Which is better looking?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hi Greg,

Thanks for your review. I t looks pretty nice! I have copied it to the reviews section and placed it as a sticky for everyone's future reference:thanks,

Cheers,

Sjors
Thanks, Sjors!

I know it's no MRG-121, but I was hoping it would meet with your approval.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I second your opinion on the stainless steel G bracelets. I love them. They aren't so heavy as to feel like oversized chain links and they're not too light, they hit a sweet spot.

And while I don't like the G-100/200 ana-dig design, I do like the hands on your watch. Very nice. Interesting which watches Casio chooses for the good hands (imo). Many higher-end Gs have lousy hands, basic sword hands that drive me nuts and are generally too wimpy for the watch design they are supposed to support.

thx for the review.

cheers

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Hi greg_9,
That's is a good review|> I persoanlly know little or nothign on the metal watches, so it's always interesting to get a perspective on someone who has. That way, you get a real comparative (relative?) idea of things like the bracelet (longevity and comfort) or how often it bumps against something. I know markings and such are a concern for a lot of "metal" watch owners. (My dress seikos get such consideration). Always like the g-100 too. For me it's what a digital g-shock should be, well, a plastic one anyway.

A few questions?.

How is watch for wrist presence (ie weight?). Is it a good watch, feels solid (or does the plastic detract)? Can you tell when you're wearing it?

Also, how is that digital display to read at times? Any shadow cast by the shroud making it hard to read? Some ani/digis do this.

Persoanlly, I like it's simplicty over that cockpit you have pictured. The cockpit is a sportier looking watch, whilst the g-200 looks suited to formal occasions.

Eitherway, congratulations on the watch and thanks for the excellant review|> .

EDIT: Remembered to ask, how are the markings? Any good in the dark?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi greg_9,
[...]

A few questions?.

How is watch for wrist presence (ie weight?). Is it a good watch, feels solid (or does the plastic detract)? Can you tell when you're wearing it?

Also, how is that digital display to read at times? Any shadow cast by the shroud making it hard to read? Some ani/digis do this.

Persoanlly, I like it's simplicty over that cockpit you have pictured. The cockpit is a sportier looking watch, whilst the g-200 looks suited to formal occasions.

Eitherway, congratulations on the watch and thanks for the excellant review|> .

EDIT: Remembered to ask, how are the markings? Any good in the dark?
Thanks, Resinbandit. The weight is pretty good. Not too heavy, not too light. A little lighter than my GW-1400.

I have found the digital display easy to read. No noticeable shadows.

The dial has no lume, so you have to use the led in the dark.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Thanks, Resinbandit. The weight is pretty good. Not too heavy, not too light. A little lighter than my GW-1400.

I have found the digital display easy to read. No noticeable shadows.

The dial has no lume, so you have to use the led in the dark.
Appreciate the answers greg_9,
Wear in good health|>

1 - 7 of 7 Posts