WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was given the opportunity a couple of weeks ago to review the Prometheus Eagle Ray GMT 10 Yr Anniversary Edition.
IMG_20181031_101935_942.jpg 46469242_10161194286560327_7777404874987143168_o.jpg IMG_20181105_104930_282.jpg IMG_20181101_073933_285.jpg IMG_20181101_122629_918.jpg
Most of you know all about Prometheus Watches but they have been relatively quiet with new releases in the last couple of years. They have been focusing on their sister brand Borealis with constant new offerings for dive watch fans. But if you don't know about them here is the elevator speech about the company. Prometheus was established in Portugal in 2008 Prometheus Watch Company and they tend to produce divers with at least 300m water resistance and a design that has retro styled and vintage feel but completely modern production methods. They base their concepts in models from the 1960s and 1970s. Hugely popular with dive watch aficionados!

My experience with the brand includes the Piranha and Poseidon. Both extremely well executed and value pieces. The Poseidon was just a bit too big and the Piranha was the one that got away, regretfully. This Eagle Ray takes the level of quality and finishing up a notch. This won't be a long review with a bunch of prosaic gibberish from me. I have tried to take LOTS of pictures in natural light to give you a clear perspective of what the watch really looks like. No editing and photos taken with a Galaxy Note 8 phone.

I have not been promised a watch, a discount, an extra freebie, or even a thank you for doing this review. I was given the chance to check it out and wanted to offer some unbiased views of this watch while it was still in pre-order. That being said my biases are real and based on watches I have experienced in the past that have influenced what I like today

https://www.prometheuswatch.com/store/Prometheus-Eagle-Ray-c31289047

Specs: 316L Stainless Steel Case with Brushed and polished finish
Blue No Date Dial with Swiss Made RC Tritec C3 X1 lume applied to indexes
Swiss Made ETA 2893-2 Automatic Movement
External 316L Stainless Bezel unidirectional with 120 clicks with ceramic insert and applied Swiss Made RC Tritec C3 X1 lume
Internal Brass Bezel with 12 hour scale and fully lumed with C3X1 lume
Custom made 316L solid stainless steel bracelet with diver extension clasp
Case diameter: 42.00 mm without crown
Lug to Lug length: 49m
Total thickness: 14.75mm
Lug width: 22 mm
Signed screw down crown with Prometheus logo for time keeping at 4 o'clock
Signed screwed down crown with Prometheus logo for operating internal bezel at 2 o'clock
Water resistance: 300 meters / 1000 ft or 30 ATM
Sapphire glass with anti-reflective coating inside watch
Watch hands filled with Swiss Made RC Tritec C3X1 lume (hours, minutes, seconds, gmt hand)
Two Years Warranty
Individually signed serial number

The Good:
+ Has a very high end wrist presence. This is a watch that in spirit reminds me a lot of an Omega Planet Ocean.
+ The watch wears extremely well. It wears slightly larger than a Seiko SKX and slightly smaller than a SRP Turtle. Wrist feel is more like a Seiko Sumo in that it really molds to the curve of my 7.25" wrist really. This is a watch that is easy to wear ALL DAY and never notice that you have a relatively heavy diver on your wrist.
+ The LUME is excellent and there is a lot of it! Look at the crispness of the 24 hour GMT bezel. Normally on full lume applications when it up the the black text tends to be blurry. Not on this watch. The lume detailing is just terrific. Day lume is super easy to achieve and there is always a light greenish tint to the the lume application.
+ The value proposition is tremendous if you pre-order $607.50 if you pay up front for the GMT. The regular 3 hand versions are even less!
+ Crown action is solid
+ Zero slop on bezel
+ Ceramic insert looks very high quality
+ End link fit is very tight
+ Thank goodness there is no sunburst! This dark blue is so awesome in the matte finish.
+ Design is bold and original
+ Watch wears more like a 13mm thick design
+ Fully articulating links....this seems to be a popular feature these days among micro brands

The Bad:
- The bezel edge is slippery and doesn't give the best grip. Could be my fat fingers but I have to give the bezel a little downward pressure to get adequate friction when I turn the bezel.
- The 5 link bracelet's inner polished links tend bind from time to time. This could just be a prototype issue but I did find that it would occasionally bind up when setting the watch down or picking it up. It was not a problem at all on the wrist
- Case back is rather plain for a 10 yr Anniversary model.
- Not a fan of the extension clasp. This is very commonly used design but feels pedestrian in finishing and execution compared to the rest of the watch. I just think it is too thick and clunky of a design
- Domed glass makes it hard to photograph.....okay this is not a negative unless you post pics on IG!
- The design might be considered a bit too bold and it might turn some people off.

Conclusion:
I haven't seen a more compelling GMT 2-Crown dive watch released recently. The value here is incredible and I'm not sure how they do it so affordably. To me this is a no-brainer if you were looking for a GMT diver.

LOTS MORE PICS AHEAD!!!
** Sorry for the dust, reflections, and fingerprints. These are unedited and taken in indirect light from a nearby window **
** I will follow up next week with more pics on different strap combos as well as some wrist shots. The watch excels on canvas and rubber! **

Eagle Ray GMT (1).jpg

Eagle Ray GMT (2).jpg

Eagle Ray GMT (3).jpg

Eagle Ray GMT (4).jpg

Eagle Ray GMT (5).jpg

Eagle Ray GMT (6).jpg

Eagle Ray GMT (7).jpg

I could use a little more grip on the bezel edge. See below
Eagle Ray GMT (8).jpg

Eagle Ray GMT (9).jpg

Eagle Ray GMT (11).jpg

Eagle Ray GMT (12).jpg

Eagle Ray GMT (13).jpg

Eagle Ray GMT (14).jpg

Eagle Ray GMT (15).jpg

Eagle Ray GMT (16).jpg

Eagle Ray GMT (17).jpg

Eagle Ray GMT (18).jpg

Eagle Ray GMT (19).jpg

Eagle Ray GMT (20).jpg

Day lume lit only by indirect window light
Eagle Ray GMT (21).jpg

Lume lit up by flashlight for 5 seconds
Eagle Ray GMT (23).jpg

Eagle Ray GMT (24).jpg

1 minute later lume still bright
Eagle Ray GMT (25).jpg

Eagle Ray GMT (26).jpg

Looks the links stack!
Eagle Ray GMT (27).jpg

Polished center links. Personally I prefer brushed but this a matter of preference.
Eagle Ray GMT (28).jpg

NOT my favorite clasp design. I get why brands use this but I'm not a fan.
Eagle Ray GMT (29).jpg

Eagle Ray GMT (30).jpg

Eagle Ray GMT (31).jpg

Eagle Ray GMT (32).jpg

Eagle Ray GMT (33).jpg

Eagle Ray GMT (36).jpg

Eagle Ray GMT (35).jpg

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Caseback seems fine to me: a nice engraved appropriate stylized pic. What more would you want?

Totally agree on the clasp. I got this design on another watch and immediately replaced it.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Very nice.

Agree about the bezel grip. I haven't tried it personally, but it looks slippery.

The clasp looks similar to the one on my Poseidon. Feels ok, but the metal scratches really easily.

That said, I have a meteorite version on order and can't wait!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Caseback seems fine to me: a nice engraved appropriate stylized pic. What more would you want?

Totally agree on the clasp. I got this design on another watch and immediately replaced it.

It isn't a deal breaker but for a watch that is a 10 yr anniversary edition, I thought there should be some additional embellishment. Certainly just a preference on my part

Or how about a reference to this being a 10th anniversary model?

Bell-%u002526-Ross-BR01-10thAnniversary-back.jpg

Here is another microbrand diver that did a really cool case back a couple of years ago.

blogger-image-2128844376.jpg

Or take Chris Ward who does this on all their tritons

Christopher-Ward-C60-Trident-600-Vintage-Watch-6.jpg

Or dan henry on a much cheaper price level

Dan-Henry-1970-Automatic-Diver-Compressor-review-7.jpg

Or one of my favorites from Tourby

TOURBY%u00252BLawless%u00252B42%u00252B(back).jpg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts