WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My good friend and I are as I like to describe... "watchaholics," and in an effort to put our obsession to good use we have started doing video reviews of our favorite affordable watches. Turns out we both love Steinharts. We finally got around to reviewing my favorite piece in my collection, the Nav-B pilot.

The best detail is in the video review of the Steinhart Nav-B but I have also included some photos and details below. Thanks for looking!

Chances are, if you’ve heard of Steinhart before, you’re well aware that the brand has a near cult following among the horologically saavy. Founded by Gunther Steinhart and supplemented by a team of talented individuals, the brand stands behind it’s products and it’s Swiss Made designation. One of the popular models is the Nav-B 47mm pilot’s watch that not only encompasses the aviator style but also adds its own flair and great attention to detail. From the high contrast dial, to the beautifully brushed stainless-steel case, the C1 superluminova lume, to the hand-made and ultra-soft straps, this is one of the finest pilot watches that you will get (short of an IWC). Furthermore, out back is the beautifully decorated Unitas 6497 manually-wound movement , which allows the watch to do what it’s supposed to… keep excellent time (and look pretty doing it too).

Price Points
Pros & Cons PROs
  • High build quality
  • Excellent dial legibility
  • Good lume on the dial
  • Accurate movement
  • Massive, engraved buckle
  • Thick, soft leather band
  • Many strap/band options
  • Large wrist presence
  • Very comfortable on the wrist
  • Sapphire crystal with AR coating
  • Great customer service
  • Excellent vintage design
  • Excellent value
CONs

• Intimidating size
  • Short on availability

CWR Rating
  • Lume: 85/100 – lume is good
  • Accuracy: 90/100 – Unitas is good out of the box
  • Crown: 95/100 – good feel, very easy to wind due to large size
  • Detail: 95/100 – excellent legibility and good finish
  • Case & Manufacturing: 95/100 – very good feel
  • Strap / Bracelet: 90/100 – machined buckle, very supple leather
  • Comfort: 95/100 – light and comfortable
  • Crystal: 95/100 – sapphire crystal with AR coating
  • Design: 95/100 – big, vintage pilot style design
  • The it factor: 95/100 – fun watch to wear, addicting

Attachments

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Thanks so much for your in depth review. That strap combo has to be the absolute nicest possible! I own the 44mm auto and love it.
Just for those that are unaware this hand-wind model also comes in a 44mm version. Quick Question- what is the "T" designation on the dial? And, have I been pronouncing "UNITAS" wrong all these years?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Nice video review, it's clear to see you guys are very passionate about it, the only thing I'd say is, I'm surprised that you were so surprised that a Fleiger has good lume, they're supposed to have good lume aren't they.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback! Glad you both liked it.

@Roadie - Good point, we will add that to the post. I bet the 44mm one is beautiful as well. I am not sure about the "T" on the dial, I purchased mine used and from what I can tell it's an earlier run. Maybe it was phased out at some point? I am not sure about the pronunciation of UNITAS... we were just guessing.

@Nolimits - I think we were surprised because a lot of brands "claim" to have great lume but are only so/so, especially compared to some comparable compounds like LUMIBRITE.

Cheers!
-Ross

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
3pointross, great review.

Your Nav.B is the original model which used the slimline case & original dial. The case was made thicker in late 2007, early 2008 as a design enhancement & the dial slightly modified.

Officially the name UNITAS in no longer used as ETA replaced it, however it is still used by some. The designated movement number is added to ETA so in the case of the Nav.B, ETA6497-1. It isn't a big issue which is used.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Nice fun entertaining review - which actually prompted me to check out your other reviews....keep them coming.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Thanks for sharing your opinion!
great review

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Riker, great information! We are going to update the post to include these details so I really appreciate the insight.

I had a feeling it was an older model based on a few design differences between mine and whats displayed on the Steinhart website. Oddly enough it gives an itch to pick up a modern one just so I can see the differences in person.

3pointross, great review.

Your Nav.B is the original model which used the slimline case & original dial. The case was made thicker in late 2007, early 2008 as a design enhancement & the dial slightly modified.

Officially the name UNITAS in no longer used as ETA replaced it, however it is still used by some. The designated movement number is added to ETA so in the case of the Nav.B, ETA6497-1. It isn't a big issue which is used.

·
Registered
9,057 Posts
Great Review, Pictures & Video.
i don't find the Size Intimidating at all. it Fits your Wrist Very Well.

Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
9,057 Posts
what is the "T" designation on the dial?

T is for Tritium. The Radioactive Isotope that was used back in the Days.
it can be seen on many Vintage Military Watches.

Cheers

·
Registered
43 Posts
thanks for the review, i just bought mine days ago too, loving it every moment.
only down side is i switch the strap with the nav B chrono 44mm with the deployent clasp and kind of regret it. now looking for a sold n nice pilot strap for my nav B.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I have a question about this watch. On steinhartwatches.com it is shown with a black strap, but the description says it's a brown one. Isn't the picture very clear? Or is the strap very dark brown?

·
Registered
151 Posts
As many have discussed here in the past do not go by what you see in the pictures. The description is going to be much closer to what you are going to get. My Nav B II came with a medium dark brown strap which look really good. I also have a black and chocolate brown strap. All look good and create different looks. You can also request a different color from Steinhart, so if you really want the black just ask for it.

·
Registered
9,057 Posts
I have a question about this watch. On steinhartwatches.com it is shown with a black strap, but the description says it's a brown one. Isn't the picture very clear? Or is the strap very dark brown?

hi
as Ira G. Said: don't go by what you see on the Website.
Straps Come & Go.. they Change all the Time. sothere's always New Styles/Colors to Choose from.

that said. it often happens when a Watch is Back n Stock ,you'll see a slight Change of Strap Color . so if you like certain Style that you see in the Strap Section ? just ask for it and they'll do the Swap for you.

Cheers

Reactions: Riker

·
Registered
493 Posts
hi
as Ira G. Said: don't go by what you see on the Website.
Straps Come & Go.. they Change all the Time. sothere's always New Styles/Colors to Choose from.

that said. it often happens when a Watch is Back n Stock ,you'll see a slight Change of Strap Color . so if you like certain Style that you see in the Strap Section ? just ask for it and they'll do the Swap for you.

Cheers

I already ordered the watch. The description says it has a brown strap, so that's fine. If it's another strap, I'll contact them again. I've read that you can ask for another strap if they don't deliver what they mention. We'll see. I like to be surprised.

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
I think you will be very nicely surprised with the quality of the Nav.B..... Congrats....;-)

I already ordered the watch. The description says it has a brown strap, so that's fine. If it's another strap, I'll contact them again. I've read that you can ask for another strap if they don't deliver what they mention. We'll see. I like to be surprised.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts