WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello guys, here's my review on the legendary SKX007, let's start off with the specifications:

Seiko SKX007
200M WR
7s26 21 Jewels automatic movement
Hardlex crystal
41mm Stainless steel case(brushed with polished sides)
22mm lugs
Screw down crown at 4 o'clock
Unidirection diver's bezel(with lume pip)
Screw on caseback
Date/day display

Case:

Thick stainless steel case with 22mm lugs, the oversized screw down crown and crown guard does it good job clearing the wrist. The total height measured from bezel to case back is 13.25mm. The caseback is in polished stainless steel with the legendary tsunami logo(along with all the information engraved). The lugs takes the Seiko's beefy "fat spring bar" like many of their diver's.

Bezel:
Tight and positive click uni-directional bezel gives it a real tool diver feel, 120 clicks total. The grip on the bezel is decent, wish there's more area to really get a good grip. Lume pip on 12 o'clock position is lit up nicely.

Crystal:
The Skx007 is using Seiko's own Hardlex crystal, it has a flat face with a chamfered edge. Not sure if the edge treatment have anything to do with increasing chipping resistance vs a flat polished edge. However it does give you a really cool looking distortion of the lume dots on the dial if you look at it side way.

Movement:
21 jewels automatic Seiko's own 7s26, I am averaging in the 5 second range out of the box(before "breaking in"), 4x hours power reserve. Non hand windable and non-hacking, which is expected for many similar movement at this price point.

Dial/Hands:
Clean, understated dial design that maximize readability in less than ideal situation, the chapter ring is usable and readable, not something a lot of watch can claim. The Lumibrite is a torch at night, especially with all the oversized lume dots on the dial, likewise the hands have plenty of lume. Date/Day feature like wise is oversized and very easy to read(unlike the date window on my Ecozilla), day display is available in Spanish as well. However it's a dragging date/day change, the wheel will start to rotate around 11 pm and will not complete until 1 am the next day(something ETA movement user will need to adjust to).

Bracelet:
The K1 version is supplied with the "Jubilee" style bracelet, it's built with solid link with a folded endlinks. 22mm at lugs and tapers down to 20mm at clasp. Personally I think it's a stylish design(polished center with brushed side) but with a heavy watch head the bracelet felt a little out of place. If you are one of those folks that prefer a loose fit with your metal bracelet, the jubilee would even feel more loose and noisy. I personally prefer the a tight fit on bracelet and it's not that bad once you get used to it. With that said, most people would agree it's a really comfortable bracelet to wear since it gives a great deal of flex.

Packaging/Presentation:
Watch comes with a white paper outer box, which holds the silver international manual and the white cardboard Seiko watch box. The white watch box has a removable top lid, inside there's a cotton filled watch holder.

Conclusion:
Being one of the best seller for Seiko, the skx007 is a easy watch to like. Build quality rivals many other diver 2x the cost, timeless tool diver styling with all the nut and bolt feature to make it a solid value diver's watch.

High Point
+Built quality is superb, easily to rival other diver's at twice the cost.
+High visibility, great lume
+Simple understated tool diver styling
+Very affordable price tag

Low Point
-Bezel can use more gripping surface
-Non-hacking and non-handwindable movement
-"Me too" and somewhat dated styling
-Jubilee bracelet felt filmy comparing to the head

I hope you enjoy my review of the SKX007, let me know if I missed anything or if you have any question, comment or concern.

Thanks

Jay

Edit: Custom polished center Seiko oyster bracelet added

Attachments

·
Registered
507 Posts
I enjoyed the read and the pictures.
If I may suggest: try and fit a president bracelet for a more solid feel and look.
It's worth it, they are about 55 USD on the internet.

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello Richard,

Thanks for the suggestion, I actually ordered an oyster bracelet for it already. I would definitely get the president/tsunami if I don't already have a president style bracelet on my other watch.

Let me post some picture once i have the bracelet.

:)

·
Registered
446 Posts
Great review and pictures! I love my 007, I find the bezel has adequate grip and the original bracelet does feel flimsy. I have replaced it with a SEL oyster and it wears great.

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
301 Posts
Love the tube chillin in the first pic...where did it come from? Looks like a 6L6 with extra prongs.

This watch is on my list for certain, diving is a passion and even though my Orient 2ER has held up great at the beach and snorkeling...I don't think it will handle a deep dive. The 007 surely does, many divers I've met swear by it.

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Love the tube chillin in the first pic...where did it come from? Looks like a 6L6 with extra prongs.

This watch is on my list for certain, diving is a passion and even though my Orient 2ER has held up great at the beach and snorkeling...I don't think it will handle a deep dive. The 007 surely does, many divers I've met swear by it.
that's a tube I took from my electronic class in high school many many years ago

The 007 is getting quite a lot of wrist time, it's amazing simple and versatile time piece for sure.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Picked one up for fathers day (love my girlfriend!) The watch and the girl are keepers for sure =) It's held up amazing during free diving. Had some issues regulating it, but it's running much more accurately now. Readers beware - this thread may prompt you to purchase (or beg your friends and family for one).

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mine has improved accuracy after the movement settles in a bit, for the first couple weeks I have to reset the time once every week because it was running very fast.

Now it's running within 5 seconds range(fast) with out any regulation, that's pretty impressive for such an entry level auto movement.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I really enjoyed reading this review and photos are simply outstanding. :)

·
Registered
6,763 Posts
Great review, great pics, thanks.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Great review, and very nice pictures!

I regret selling my SKX007; it is an iconic dive watch. But somehow there's always another interesting watch that prevents me from re-buying the 007.

I actually liked the looseness of the Jubilee bracelet. It made the watch more comfortable to me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone,
i'd like to chime in with an issue if you dont mind, however i'm happy with my 007, i ve been thinking to replace the bezel for a long time with a slant bezel similar to rolex submariner or omega seamaster if available in seiko range...IMO this bezel is a bit protrusive do you know any bezel to fit 007...thanks so much...have a great day!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts