WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been eyeing this watch for weeks now. At first I did not care for the design but slowly it started to grow on me. That coupled with the quality and affordability that Stowa offers given my previous experiences with them, I finally decided to bite the bullet and make the purchase.

I decided to create this review to provide anyone who is considering this watch for their collection the experience of what it is like to own this watch. Since when I was making a purchasing decision I was unable to find very many reviews.
This is my first ever watch review so I hope you guys enjoy.

Watch specifications (Taken directly from product page):

Case
Diameter:
43,00mm
Height:
12,80mm (incl. sapphire crystal glas)
Strap width:
24,00mm
Lug-to-Lug size:
51,00mm
Waterproof:
up to 20ATM
Weight:
115 grams with leather strap

Materiality
Case:
Stainless steel, fine matt, ground by hand
Dial:
black matt coated with Superluminova BWG9 (white), Stowa Logo
Hands:
Superluminova BWG9 (white)

Movement
Caliber:
ETA 2824-2, top version with blued screws
Mechanism:
mechanical, automatic
Specific features:
golden STOWA engraving

Case construction:
The case on the TO2 has amazing build quality! I had a Stowa Marine, so I had high expectations and they exceeded them in every way. It is my first watch with a fine matte finish and it looks great. The case gets its fine brushed finish from the goldsmiths over at Stowa, which I think is very nice touch. Given the price, you would expect it to be machine finished and not finished by hand. Throughout all the different surfaces of the case the brushing changes, giving the case depth. The bushing all flows together Nicely, whether it is the horizontal brushing on the sides of the case, vertical brushing between the lugs, or the radial brushing on the top of the lugs and bezel it all flows together very well. Aside from the matte brush finish the case also sports very crisp clean edge that seems to go hand in hand with the brushing, working together to from the case. If you ask me the Quality of the finish and precision of the case on the TO2 is by far the most beautiful thing about this watch.

As you can probably tell I’m a fanatic of the cases Stowa produces. I think it’s one of the biggest points of quality you get for such an affordable price.

Although a larger watch coming in at 43mm it IMO can be worn on a smaller/medium size wrist and not look at of place.(Any wrists under 160mm the lugs will likely hang off) Some people may disagree but on my 160mm wrist it appears to fit good. Although any larger would be too much.Sitting in the wrist the watch feels comfortable and sits great. The lugs have a nice downward look giving the ability to wear on smaller sized wrists

Dial:
The TO2 sports a very clean and contemporary style dial. In a way it almost feels versatile enough to be dressed up for a nice gathering or dressed down and put to work as a tool watch and anything in between. Understandably for some people this may be a sticking point because the dial may not be for everyone. But you are buying a watch for yourself! Who cares what people think it’s your watch! The lume is crazy goodies very sensitive and lasts a pretty long time. The lume is white but glows a very pleasant light baby blue through the entire watch. (Full disclosure I have never had any high end lume on any of my watches, so I don’t have much to compare. So this could be complete average for BWG9 lume) Aside from this the dial is pretty self-explanatory. It consists of a matte black background with white lume marking the minutes and hours. The markers although not applied have a three dimensional look to them giving the dial depth. The crystal aids in this due to its clarity and how well your able to see the details on the hands and markers. Although they are simple they have fine details that give it a feel that its more that just white lines and hands with a black dial.

The legibility of the dial during day or night is incredible! They designed it to have great legibility in all lighting conditions and I must say they succeeded in that goal. I don’t find my-self struggling to read it at all. Although I should note I’ve heard of some people saying the seconds had can be a little hard to see at first at night.

Strap:

For the strap I chose to go with the rubber strap and a Stowa clasp. In my opinion it’s comfortable on the wrist. It comes with a pleasant smell of vanilla, which from what I hear means that it’s high quality rubber and is scented with vanilla to cover the harsh smell that rubber produces. (This is what I’ve read so feel free to correct me if I’m mistaken) The vanilla smell in my experience isn’t really noticeable unless you make a point to smell it. Occasionally you may get a hint of vanilla but in my experience you have to somewhat try to be able to notice it.

The clasp is very nice. Although I’ve heard it’s a standard off the shelf clasp, I personally don’t have a problem with that. (Assuming it true) The inner portion of the clasp is bead blasted with a matte finish while the outer portion visible while wearing the watch has the same beautiful fine matte brushing that is Present on the case. There is also a Stowa logo and text laser engraved on the clasp( which I assume is done in house given the appearance and also since they offer laser engraving on their products) The security clasp that folds over the mechanism is secured by what appear to be the rounded ends of a spring bar so it has a wonderful smooth yet tactile feel when engaging/disengaging. It takes the perfect amount of force not the much or too little. When securing the inner part of the clasp that actually hold the strap together it feels smooth and engages easily with the press of a finger and has a very satisfactory click and tactile feel.

Stowa also sends and email after purchase asking for your wrist size so they can presume the strap for you. At first this I was apprehensive because what if it’s sized wrong or give the wrong measurement. But I was delighted when I got the watch that the strap fit perfect! Only need a quick adjustment on the clasp for it to be exactly where I needed it. The box came with new spring bars and a new-uncut strap for if it’s sized wrong. (Not an entire strap just half As long as your confident with your wrist sized I’d Recommend taking advantage of this. Taking out a rubber strap watch and having it immediately fit was such a pleasant experience.

Hands:
There is not much to say here about the hands. The hour and minutes hand both are sword shaped while the seconds is a stick hand. All three are fully lumed right up to the center where they are matte black. The end of all the hands have a small little point that up first glance almost goes unnoticed, but IMO is a very nice detail. It makes the dial feel like everything was designed with care even to the smallest of details and not just a black dial and white hands with white hour/minute markers.

Crown:

Normally I would just say a crown is a crown what else is there to say, but with the TO2 it’s wonderfully designed and dynamic. The crown is horizontally brushed the entire way around the crown. The Top of the crown has radial brushing and a Crisp Stowa logo that is matte finished on the inside. Giving it great legibility while also not being overstated. The function of the crown is the same as all other ETA 2824-2 movements (first setting is wind second is quick-change date and the third is time-set/hacking) The crown feels VERY robust feeling which surprised me as I have a Stowa Marine. But something about this crown makes it feel like it means business when moving it between settings and winding which is not a bad thing. One negative with the crown though is while you would think it would have plenty of grip given the size and design I’ve found that it can feel a little difficult to grip and Crisp towards the top. This although a shame IMO it is not a big deal given how amazing the crown looks and since I don’t find my-self using the crown very often. A small negative IMO but one worth noting none the less.

To some people’s dismay the crown is not a screw down, which to some may be a turn off given that it has a 20ATM water resistance. But in my experience a screw down crown is not necessarily going to increase water resistance but rather it serves to prevent knocks from pulling out the crown and letting water in. Rather it is the seals in the crown that provide the water resistance. (Feel free food correct this if I am mistaken) For me this is good, and I am willing to swim with this watch.

Movement:

As stated in the specs the moment is a Top grade 2824-2. The movement comes with decoration and a rotor with the Stowa engraving and true thermally blues screws
This moment is a great workhorse and is affordable to service and can be fixed by just about any competent watch maker. It keeps great time, within +5 per day

What is TO2:

This is a watch that is designed with TESTAF technology it has a case that is designed with the inspiration of the TESTAF TO1 in mind but with changes. Those changes are things like a lack of a bezel, a smaller stainless-steel case. It comes with a thicker crystal to supply the watch with improved shock resistance and also has a 20ATM (200m) water resistance. Although the crown is not a screw down, I feel comfortable with swimming using this watch. in simple terms the TO2 is designed with TESTAF technology but is not the exact same as a TESTAF watch in the aspect of improved durability.

Conclusion:

What do I think about this watch? I think this watch is a great bang for the buck purchase. Although on the pricier end depending on your budget, coming in at $1330 USD I think you can not go wrong. The case quality is immaculate, it is something that I think Stowa excels at and given their price point I think you couldn’t ask for better finishing and case construction. I could go on for hours about the case and finishing but I will spare you guys the pain. The dial reads and looks great and IMO is versatile for different occasions although I think it’s definitely more tool oriented even with the lack of numerals on the dial. The rubber strap has a great feel and comfort to it and the clasp is very good feeling on the tactile side of things but also is finished and looks great. Although some may say it’s just a basic clasp, to me that shouldn’t be a negative at this price point. It is not a Rolex what do you expect! The crown although lacking in the aspect of grip still looks very nice and has very crisp lines and finishing. Overall this watch does an overwhelmingly great job at what it’s designed to do. It clearly tells the time, has great construction, and feels very solid in the hand. What else can you ask for

Wrist/Watch shots:
My wrist is 160mm for size reference.
I apologize for the blurry lume shot, it is the best I could manage my camera didn’t like to focus very well on it.

·
Registered
4,788 Posts
Looks great! I have the Flieger Klassik Sport which does have a screw down crown. I am a little surprised yours doesn't but if you're cool with it, then it's all good. Just wondering how the crown feels. Does it dig against your wrist?

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks great! I have the Flieger Klassik Sport which does have a screw down crown. I am a little surprised yours doesn't but if you're cool with it, then it's all good. Just wondering how the crown feels. Does it dig against your wrist?
I haven’t really noticed the crown digging into my wrist but that could be due to me having a leaner wrist, I could definitely see it digging into someone’s wrist if they wear it tight and have a larger wrist. It does dig into my fingers though when adjusting the crown. And I was surprised too, not many 20ATM watches do not have a screw down crown.

Reactions: Tanjecterly

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I haven’t really noticed the crown digging into my wrist but that could be due to me having a leaner wrist, I could definitely see it digging into someone’s wrist if they wear it tight and have a larger wrist. It does dig into my fingers though when adjusting the crown. And I was surprised too, not many 20ATM watches do not have a screw down crown.

Reactions: Tanjecterly
1 - 5 of 5 Posts