WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

as I am new to WUS first of all hello to everyone and thanks to everyone on this forum for all the reviews and detailed information which helped me a lot.
I am can call myself proud owner of my first watch worth being mentioned.
I had read a fair bit, among others on WUS, before purchasing mine so thanks to everyone, your articles and reviews have been quite helpful. I therefore thought to give something back and write about my watch which, you will have seen it in it in the thread title, is a Tag Heuer Carrera Calibre 1887 (Ref CAR2110.BA0724). There are some reviews out there already but maybe someone finds this review as useful as I found the already existing ones. Please pardon the bad quality of the pics...

THE FINDING PROCESS

I have spent quite some time thinking about buying a watch. Not any watch, a nice watch, a mechanical watch, a swiss watch. During the idea finding process, prices quickly went up, so did my spend disposition. Whether these watches are really worth it? I don’t know. In the end it is a luxury good. Something I buy because it fascinates me, because I want to reward myself, because I had to work hard for it, for a special occasion. Oh and yes, after the “live” comparison you do see a difference between a watch that costs 400,- and one that costs 4.000,- and don’t let your wives tell you otherwise ;)

I will spare you with the details of looking up oh so many different brands and models, reading your threads, articles and watch catalogues. In the end, what helped was going to ADs, Jewelers and small factories and trying them on. Some watches looked better, some worse than on the official web sites, catalogues and pics out there.

THE DECISION

In the end I decided against the Omega Speedmaster Professional and for the TH Carrera Cal.1887, although the Speedy might still be an option for another purchase.

The SEIKO movement (or better said SEIKO patent) that the Calibre 1887 is based on bothered me in the beginning. These concerns passed away quickly, on one hand due to the fact that after some more reading I came to the conclusion that SEIKO makes great watches, too. On the other hand most parts seem to be manufactured in Switzerland. it on at an AD but bought it at a greydealer I had investigated quite a bit and which turned out to be a very good choice. I got a decent discount, only had to wait about 3 weeks as indicated. THe box arrived well and when it arrived I was quite nervous of course but enough of talking see yourself what I got :-!

Box2.jpg

THE WATCH

The size is perfect to me. I have a small wrist with 7.1 inches so I didn’t want to buy a watch that would without a doubt look great but somewhat silly at my wrist. The 41mm diameter of the Tag Heuer Carrera 1887 turned out to be the perfect size for me in this kind of watch. The sleek design of the watch with its inner bezel makes it a nice piece to wear in both, business dress and casual outfit. At first I was concerned about the watch being too shiny as the details applied to the dial such as hour markers and the 2 subdials sub-dials are surrounded by applied metal rings. The dial looked a bit crowded in the beginning, which on one hand is due to the before mentioned metal appliances, on the other hand due to the tachymeter scale. Both design changes were added by TH at a later stage and were not part of the original (post-BaselWorld) model from 2010.While the prototype (with outer bezel) never made it to sale, the v2 seemed to have painted rings around the sub-dials instead of applied ones and lacked the tachy scale (the numbers). This made the dial look a bit cleaner. I thought about finding 2010 model (v2) but never managed to get my hands on one. Thanks to calibre 11 there is a nice comparison about the different models with a silver dial

TAG Heuer Carrera 1887 41mm V3 | The Home of TAG Heuer Collectors

Coming back to the 2014 version, I ended up starting to really enjoy the current shiny dial of the 2014 model, once I had it on my wrist at an AD. What initially made me be a bit sceptical turned out to look quite elegant (IMHO) when being observed from more than some inches away, to be clearer, in a mirror or from looking at someone else’s wrist. I think about the Calibre 1887 as of a sporty watch with dress attitudes as I can wear it both, in my free time and for business purposes. The shiny appliances to the dial make it look quite elegant together with the polished metal bracelet, and this especially due to the shiny design. The ends of some hour markers are beveled which makes it reflect small amount of lights even from different angles. Overall, an eye-catcher to me, wearing a white shirt with a nice contrast
I like the inner bezel which looks excellent under the sapphire crystal which depending on the light seems to have a blue shine.

Wrist1.jpg Wrist 2.jpg

About the metal bracelet there is not much to say but that it looks great to me. The 2014 version (version CAR2110.BA0724, before 2110.BA0720) is slightly more rounded regarding the individual links of the bracelet which prevents small hairs being trapped between the links and makes it look more enclosing your wrist. I love the bracelet as I don’t like shiny / polished bracelets that much. TH found a way to decently include two thin lies of polished metal in a brushed steel bracelet which just make the bracelet look perfect to me. The only thing the bracelet has to envy to other watches is the “glide-lock clasp” such as employed by Rolex which allows perfect adjustment of size for metal bracelets. Of course you have smaller and bigger links for a better adjustment. Apart from that, the Calibre 1887 has a folding clasp with the brand name on it. It is easy to open and close, I do consider purchasing the black alligator strap for the winter time which also looked quite nice.

Bracelet 1.jpg

The crystal case back which opens a beautiful view to the Calibre 1887’s movement. Before buying the watch I was thinking about this being a criteria for me or not. I have a weak point for technical things and for how things work so right now I can say I have never been happier about this. True, when wearing the watch I don’t see its back but I love to take a look at it once in a while. The fact that the rotor of the automatic movement has 2 openings provides an even better look to the movement. Both, the automatic winding train and the rotor / weight are beautifully polished with some facetes on it.
One can imagine the roughly 320 different working components move together when the watch is running or the chronograph is in use. Simply beautiful to me.
Also one of the advantages over the Omega Speedmaster (3570.50.00) which only provides for this in the 3573.50.00 model.

Caseback 1.jpg

The case itself is well made, something I would expect at that price. Clear lines in design and a logo on the crown. Nothing too special. The sapphire crystal is slightly higher than the case which is probably due to the inner bezel being beveled. I gladly take the higher crystal for the bezel.

So much about the design. The watch itself works fine. I havn’t measured the variance to a quartz watch per 24h yet but over a couple of days it’s pretty exact which let’s me sleep better, keeping in mind that after some reading it seems to be like playing lottery to get a more or less exact swiss watch, thinking about allowed tolerances. The Chronograph works perfectly well. The buttons don’t need much pressure compared to the other watches I had in hand. They have a bit of play/tolerance until you get to the actual pressure point which is very nice as this way you can time the start and stop more precisely. The power reserve is about 40-50h, when using the chrono obviously less.

If I had to name 2 things with room for improvement these would be the weight with 173g (with bracelet already adjusted to my 7.1 inch wrist) and the heights of the case with 15.5 mm. In this price range it will be hard though to find something significantly thinner and less heavy when talking about automatic chronographs with metal bracelet. It still fits under my shirt though so no issues here, to the weight I will surely get used, shouldn’t have tried the JLC MUT on I guess as a completelly different watch ;-)

To sum up, I am proud owner of a great, technologically advanced and swiss made watch which will always remind me buying of my first nice watch and the occasion for which I rewarded myself.

If I would buy the TH Calibre 1887 again? No doubt about it, for me a beautiful watch which works just great.

So to me it was the right decision and I will certainly enjoy this watch, though I fear it won’t be my last one ;)

Hope you enjoyed the my first review and that somebody finds it helpful.

Qwatch

·
Premium Member
35,406 Posts
Great review on my favorite Tag model line and excellent pictures as well. Tough to be an 1887 in terms of a great looking chrono. Nice job.

·
Registered
20,533 Posts
Excellent review, does the bracelet use screw-in links?

Reactions: Qwatch

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Excellent review, does the bracelet use screw-in links?
The bracelet links are fixed with pins. I took a picture for you so you can also see the different link widths for a better size adjustment.
I went to a TH boutique to have the bracelet shortened as I don't have any watch tools. Even if I didn't purchase the watch there they understood it as service to shorten the bracelet for me in exchange to a smile. Would have bought it there if we agreed on a reasonable price, that's the pain with the brand-owned boutiques.

PS: The lugwidth is 20mm.

Links 1.jpg

·
Registered
20,533 Posts
The bracelet links are fixed with pins. I took a picture for you so you can also see the different link widths for a better size adjustment.
I went to a TH boutique to have the bracelet shortened as I don't have any watch tools. Even if I didn't purchase the watch there they understood it as service to shorten the bracelet for me in exchange to a smile. Would have bought it there if we agreed on a reasonable price, that's the pain with the brand-owned boutiques.

PS: The lugwidth is 20mm.

View attachment 1759322
Thank you, so the bracelet use friction pins insteed.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After a couple of months here some things I want to add some more infos on the watch

ACCURACY
movement which has not yet been out that long, the same as the watch itself. At the moment it advances 2s per day which makes me really happy and which is more than acceptable. Even with more than that I'd like the watch but I obviuosly prefer it this way.

One thing to add and which the more knowlegeable of you will know already. When hand winding the watch it gets some seconds in advance and hence distorts the measurement. This made me worry on mysecond attempt to checkn on accuracy. The first attempt failed due to the power reserve not lasting long enough. This brings me to my second point

POWER RESERVE
the power reserve is indicated with 48h. I have no idea why but by now it seems to have improved and seems to be 40+ hours. At the beginning it seemed a lot less though it might well be that the movement was not fully wound or maybe needed some break-in period. Overall it can of course not be compared to a JLC where even entr level watches have over 60h or some IWC models but it is still ok.

LUME
I admit that the Lume areas are quite small at the dges of the hour markers and the middle of the hour and minute hand which are thin by themselves. Not sure if its just mine but the lume does not last for long. I will try to charge it a bit more in the next days but overall it is definitelly no highlight (in its best sense)

Overall I am still very happy about it and wear it quite often. Even the weight of 173g is something I got used to.

PS: I unfortunatelly realized that there are still many other beauties out there :)

Cheers
Qwatch

1 - 6 of 6 Posts