WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The silver Hyperion by Collins Watch Company – Sellita SW200 movement

Hyperion (5 of 12).jpg

Disclaimer: Collins Brand provided the watch for an independent evaluation, but I otherwise received no compensation for this review.

A while ago I had the opportunity to try out the inaugural model from Jimmy Collins called the Bronson. I was impressed with such debut and therefore very excited to now have the opportunity to review the upcoming model: the Hyperion.

Jimmy is offering the Hyperion via Kickstarter. Many will cringe at the idea of committing to a KS project given some of the bad reputation that has developed over time with some projects. What I want to point out is that Jimmy proved himself reliable and trustworthy on his inaugural launch in 2017 and the Hyperion is no different. The Hyperion watches will be ready to ship as soon as the campaign concludes. This removes the lengthy wait times as well as the risks that come along with producing a watch.

Hyperion (9 of 12).jpg

Hyperion (6 of 12).jpg

You have a choice between the silver, black and carbon models. The latter has a silver case and a carbon fiber dial with no date, with the cool checkered surface appearance. I got the silver version for this review.

IMG_5762.jpg

One of the greatest features of the Hyperion is the movement it houses. This time around, Jimmy chose the Swiss made Sellita caliber SW200. No only that, he offers a customized golden rotor that you can see through the sapphire case back. Furthermore, the watches are assembled in the USA! Prices start at $395, $425 and $455 for the silver, black and carbon fiber versions respectively.

CASE

The case of the Hyperion is very similar in shape and dimensions to the Bronson with the big exception of the finish. The case has a diameter of 40mm with a height of 13mm. The Lug width is again 20mm, which is great to circulate the straps you already have. Throughout the case you’ll find a high-quality brushed finish. The bezel has a circular pattern as do the lugs. The sides of the case are brushed longitudinal, which happens to be my favorite pattern. The crown is blasted finish and I’d dare say the same as the Bronson, although I don’t have both to compare side by side. I personally favor a brushed polish and find the quality of the finish to be excellent, above its price point. Perhaps my only bonus points would have been given to some high-polish or mirror finish, but I have to admit that it would take away some of the rugged impression this watch has, following the lines of a field watch with touches of a pilot one.

Hyperion (4 of 12).jpg

Hyperion (3 of 12).jpg

The case back deserves special mention. It has an exhibition display and the custom rotor stands out immediately with the “Collins” inscription. It’s gold/bronze colored, which contrasts very nicely with the silver movement. It’s a very nice touch that gives this watch extra points.

Hyperion (12 of 12).jpg

DIAL

The dial is matte black. I can’t stress enough how deeply black it is! I haven’t seen the Panerai Carbotech that has the “blackest” material available, but I bet this is as close as you get without paying an arm and a leg. It’s impressive, uniform and without a single speck of dust or any irregularity. The markers and numerals are tan colored contrasting very well with the black. The hands match perfectly with the lume color and matte black frame. The 12-3-6-9 are of just the right size in my opinion, making the dial well balanced. The date window is at 4:30 matching in black. It’s not intrusive at all and doesn’t take away from the symmetry of the dial.

Hyperion (8 of 12).jpg

Hyperion (2 of 12).jpg

Hyperion (6 of 12).jpg

MOVEMENT

Jimmy decided to upgrade the movement choice for the Hyperion choosing the Swiss made Sellita SW200. This is a great choice with bidirectional winding, eliminating the “helicopter effect” of other movements such as the Miyota 9015, which I love, but often feel the buzz on my wrist when the rotor happens to be spun on the non-winding direction. The Sellita is pretty much a clone of the ETA 2824, which lost its patent a while ago. There is in general a believe that the ETA is higher finish than Sellita, but this becomes a moot point as the Swatch group is progressively limiting the availability of ETA movements as well as spare parts. The SW200 has excellent specs and is easily serviceable by most if not all reasonable watchmakers without breaking the bank. As quick recap, the SW200 has 26 rubies, beats at 28,800 per hour and has a power reserve of 38 hours.

STRAP

The Hyperion comes with a high quality dark brown leather strap. In addition, you have a choice to add other options which include Zulu nylon, a brown premium leather and a very cool grey nylon/leather combination for an additional cost. I didn’t have a chance to see them in person. However, the strap that comes with the watch is excellent. I like the quality of the leather, which is fairly thick and required 2-3 days to start to break in. It’s rugged with the matching brown stitches slightly uneven giving the appearance of it being hand-made, but I’m not sure of that fact. It is engraved with the logo on the inside. The buckle matches the finish of the case and is also signed. It’s a really great match for the watch.

Hyperion (10 of 12).jpg

Hyperion (11 of 12).jpg

IMG_5674.jpg

In conclusion

I was really looking forwards being able to wear the Hyperion after Jimmy reached out to me. I had the best impression of the man and the watch (Bronson) from before and this time my expectations were high. The Hyperion certainly lived up to the expectations and beyond. The blackness of the dial remains a fascinating element to me and the color combination is superb. The case finish is superior to the Bronson, but this may be my perception as I am partial to the brushed finish. The Swiss made movement and the great touch of a customized signed rotor are much welcomed features that make this watch stand out from the crowded microbrand field.

IMG_5685.jpg

The Hyperion campaign is live on Kickstarter right now and I’m happy to report that as of the writing of this review, the funding has surpassed the goal and there’s even an addition version of the Hyperion called “Meteorite” that looks phenomenal. Check them out here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jimcol/hyperion-1?ref=4a3w0f

IMG_5681.jpg

Please leave your comments or questions below and thank you very much for your time!

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a heck of a review, thanks for sharing and for the great photos! I had a chance to see the watch at the sf windup, and really liked it.

Thank you very much!

I’m glad you saw it in person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
Good review, but a boring looking watch

Reactions: Pallet Spoon

·
Registered
11,286 Posts
Nice overall. Looks like a well made piece. The only things I really don't like are the black outline on the hands and the vintage lume. A black outline just makes the hands look too small on a black dial IMO. This would have looked better if the hands were lumed fully without the border.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you Mrs. Wiggles, I appreciate it!

Regarding the watch, I truly see this as any other art form. Beauty is in the eye if the beholder. Having said that, I personally like to have a variety of styles in my box as some days I'm in the mood for something bold and of presence... and other days I feel like something smooth, comfortable and plain.

My wish is that we all find the ones that makes us happy in the long run (and I'm not talking spouses!! LOL)

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice overall. Looks like a well made piece. The only things I really don't like are the black outline on the hands and the vintage lume. A black outline just makes the hands look too small on a black dial IMO. This would have looked better if the hands were lumed fully without the border.

I hear you on the black on black situation. I have to say that while it makes total sense to me, I never had that thought or feeling while wearing it for a week. Perhaps the colored part of the hands is of sufficient size or there is a subtle contrast between hands and dial.

The other point on the lume color. Initially anything off white was labeled faux-patina that gave rise to huge debates... However, so many color options have come out straight from the factory that I feel that there’s more acceptance of colored lume without it being an attempt at simulating patina. That’s just my impression and humble opinion. I like to exemplify with the new Lauren Ferrier’s $280,000 watch that has tan colored (if not orange) lumen.

Anyway, I love hearing about these subtle but important points that often make me think of features that I hadn’t even thought about.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thanks for the note! I actually had the hands on our prototype fully lumed and they looked way too big in person, at least to me. Sometimes, it's hard to tell in macro, but I do feel that the current handset feels well-proportioned. At least I haven't gotten any complaints about this yet. We used the same size and outlined look on my last watch and no one complained. The vintage lume (Old Radium Super-LumiNova to be specific) is really a matter of preference. Some guys love it, some hate it. I'd love to be able to offer different dial colors and lume options down the road. Given we're still relatively new to this, we're not operating at the scale yet where we can offer many options. Soon, I hope! Once again, appreciate your feedback and hope you'll continue to check out our offerings as we grow!

·
Registered
61 Posts
That's a heck of a review, thanks for sharing and for the great photos! I had a chance to see the watch at the sf windup, and really liked it.
Thanks so much for stopping by in SF! Very happy you liked the watch. We're lucky to have opportunities like WindUp. Always an awesome weekend!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thanks for the fantastic and detailed review! Really appreciate your thorough look at the watch. We spent a lot of time slaving over all the fine points in the design, so it's very pleasing to see someone take the time to appreciate and comment on these points. Hope we'll be able to meet/beat your expectations for the next watch. Working on the design now!

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Kinda looking for something like this. Really like the design, but 40mm is too big for me when there's no bezel. I know that dial would look massive on my arm. 38mm with no date hole in the dial would have been a sale for you.

(btw - I like the black outline on the hands very much.)

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Kinda looking for something like this. Really like the design, but 40mm is too big for me when there's no bezel. I know that dial would look massive on my arm. 38mm with no date hole in the dial would have been a sale for you.

(btw - I like the black outline on the hands very much.)

Hopefully you come across one to try it on. I still think nothing beats wearing a watch before buying it. My own feel was that it wears slightly smaller than 40mm but I don’t know why since it’s nearly all dial and is of average height.

The date window... well, there’s so much passion on both camps that we better don’t go down that rabbit hole

Thanks for taking the time to read it

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was fortunate to see the watch in person and spend several minutes talking with Jimmy personally. He's clearly passionate about his brand, and I was so impressed that I bought one (after getting clearance from the CFO). I just arrived last night, here are a couple of quick snaps I took of it after I tossed a Nato on it that was originally intended for my Speedmaster. 20190515_224502.jpg 20190515_224511.jpg

·
Banned
56 Posts
this is one of those pieces that deserves to be seen in the metal. It has a nice case with very well done finely brushed surfaces and not too thick.

Initially, I thought it sort of simplistic but after looking at it more I sort of warmed up to the Sinn 656 vibe to it with the owners tweaks. I mean, there are only so many designs for a watch and this one probably wears great.

to be fair, I think the Logo is just a tad too big or the fonts slightly offsetting. But, again, I think in person it could be completely different.

I cant tell you how many macro shots I have taken where the proportions look all oout of whack and found myself getting a case of watch myopia where I kept thinking how out of sorts that watch is and then I look at the watch and feel like slapping myself in the face. The watch is fine on the wrist and looks great.

It helps to see the watch on the wrist and then decide. I am sure I could find a nice place for this Collins piece and would go for the black/silver variant. I would also like to see a version with a gray dial (mediums shade gray like the Sinn gray dial colorway).

Congrats on a nice design and a very nice price for the SW 200 movement upgrade. I think the case back is perfect!

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I’m wondering about the general opinion on details such as the signed rotor:

How much do you care about those details? What does it mean to you?

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have to disagree. It ruins an otherwise nice looking watch. At least there's a no-date version.

Totally respect your appreciation for it and it may be a deal-breaker for you. Fair enough. Someone else here complained of how simple the dial was. Once again, proof that beauty, is in the eye....

I’d have to say though, that it’s worth looking at this watch in person. There’s just something that can’t be captured in pics here and you may be surprised.

Cheers!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts