WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently acquired a Revue Thommen Carre Cambre Skeleton Model 12300.2862 and would like to share some thoughts about it as well as to see what fellow enthusiasts think about Revue watches. (I may do a full review in the future, but for now some brief thoughts to open up a discussion)

Carre Cambre Skeleton has an interesting GT54 in-house movement with 22 jewels, 19800 beats per hour (bph) and 42-hour power reserve. Based on my reading, the movement GT54 is a derivative of Revue hand-winding movement GT44 with addition of an automatic winding mechanism that explains an unusual bph rate. The dial indices, hands, the bezel, the crown and the buckle are all 18k gold while the rest of the watch case is steel or sapphire glass (front and back). The dial is skeletonized, and all exposed moving parts are just gorgeous. Lastly, the strap is genuine alligator of brown color with matched stitching that matches well with the dial and bezel. From various sources on the internet, I found that MSRP is over $3000 (figures ranged from 3300 to 4000), but I got this for less than a grand and I'm quite happy with it. I see a lot of dealers sell Revue Thommen pieces at heavy discounts, so I would appreciate any thoughts and info about the reason for that.

Before getting this watch, I was closely looking at Revue Thommen Airspeed Instrument 16700.3537 with Unitas 6498 movement but did not pull the trigger as I was unsure about hand-winding movement (So far I have none in my 15-watch collection). Now I am actually revisiting this watch as well as a few others from Airspeed collection. So, I wanted to ask Revue Thommen watch owners to share their experience with the brand and their thoughts about the Carre Cambre watch I got as well as the Airspeed Instrument watch I mentioned here.

Here are some pictures:

IMG_6513.JPG

IMG_6514.JPG

IMG_6515.JPG

·
Registered
287 Posts
I'd be very careful- as you said yourself in your post, there might be a reason for the heavy discounts. My sister got one from Amazon (heavy discount, as you said), and it was supposed to have an in-house movement, but it actually had a Depa DP24. Luckily I spotted that before the return period was up when I was adjusting the bracelet for her. It was probably decentish value at such a discount even with the Depa, but it just left a bad taste in the mouth so was safer to return it...

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd be very careful- as you said yourself in your post, there might be a reason for the heavy discounts. My sister got one from Amazon (heavy discount, as you said), and it was supposed to have an in-house movement, but it actually had a Depa DP24. Luckily I spotted that before the return period was up when I was adjusting the bracelet for her. It was probably decentish value at such a discount even with the Depa, but it just left a bad taste in the mouth so was safer to return it...
Dave, thanks for the reply. Do you mind sharing what model you are referring to? Depa is a Chinese company, right?

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They make a great watch. I've owned several and still have the Airspeed XL with a 2836 movement. There is nothing wrong with the brand.

Great looking Airspeed, falcon4311! What other Revue watches did you have and your experience?

·
Premium Member
13,242 Posts
an old one from 1966

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am thinking to acquire a 17030.(I'M A SCAMMER) model, so I wonder if anyone may share some thoughts or feedback about it.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Dave, thanks for the reply. Do you mind sharing what model you are referring to? Depa is a Chinese company, right?
I'm not sure how I missed this, I'm subscribed to the thread. I guess I missed it with all the picture posts. Sorry for the delay in my response.

It's the newer models on the Revue Thommen website- it was the Urban ladies version (REVUE THOMMEN | SWISS WATCHES | SINCE 1853), but as all the current watches on the Revue Thommen website claim to have the GTM in-house movement (apart from Collection 2002-2014 which are older watches I think), I'd assume that all of those watches have the Depa movement now.

And yeah, Depa has the reputation (from reading around this forum, I mean, I have no idea if it's deserved or if other manufacturers are no better) of being more or less Chinese but with just enough work done in Switzerland to satisfy the 60% rule for being "Swiss Made". Now, whether that matters, or whether it's any worse than, say, an ETA 2824 or Selitta SW200 (which presumably only have to satisfy the same rules), I don't know, but as I said, it left a bad taste in the mouth that she thought she was getting an in-house Swiss movement, and it turned out that she got not only a non-in-house movement, but arguably the least desirable of the common off-the-shelf entry level Swiss movements (for the reasons I mentioned above, the 60% thing).

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Since the reply with a quote doesn't seem to be working, I'll go his way. ^^^^^^^That is the other model I used to own, I loved everything about it but the bezel, it turned too easily. It could have been a one off, it happens but I love the brand.
I am trying to choose between the rubber strap version vs. the bracelet version. Did you by any change have an OEM bracelet and if so, how good is it? Also, do you think the $400 for rubber version and $450 for bracelet version are good prices?

·
Registered
474 Posts
They are good watches and a good value with the huge discounts you can get.

probably not worth the MSRP, but i havent seen any that have sold for that price.

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm not sure how I missed this, I'm subscribed to the thread. I guess I missed it with all the picture posts. Sorry for the delay in my response.

It's the newer models on the Revue Thommen website- it was the Urban ladies version (REVUE THOMMEN | SWISS WATCHES | SINCE 1853), but as all the current watches on the Revue Thommen website claim to have the GTM in-house movement (apart from Collection 2002-2014 which are older watches I think), I'd assume that all of those watches have the Depa movement now.

And yeah, Depa has the reputation (from reading around this forum, I mean, I have no idea if it's deserved or if other manufacturers are no better) of being more or less Chinese but with just enough work done in Switzerland to satisfy the 60% rule for being "Swiss Made". Now, whether that matters, or whether it's any worse than, say, an ETA 2824 or Selitta SW200 (which presumably only have to satisfy the same rules), I don't know, but as I said, it left a bad taste in the mouth that she thought she was getting an in-house Swiss movement, and it turned out that she got not only a non-in-house movement, but arguably the least desirable of the common off-the-shelf entry level Swiss movements (for the reasons I mentioned above, the 60% thing).
This is very informative and at the same time sad. Swiss movements identity is getting more and more eroded.

·
Registered
12,461 Posts
I am trying to choose between the rubber strap version vs. the bracelet version. Did you by any change have an OEM bracelet and if so, how good is it? Also, do you think the $400 for rubber version and $450 for bracelet version are good prices?
I bought it with the bracelet, the thing I didn't like about that is it was 24mm with no taper making the watch heavy.

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I bought it with the bracelet, the thing I didn't like about that is it was 24mm with no taper making the watch heavy.
Thanks for the info! Did you put it on the rubber or buy some other bracelet? I saw a few of Revue divers on a mesh bracelet online - they look great.

·
Registered
287 Posts
This is very informative and at the same time sad. Swiss movements identity is getting more and more eroded.
Yeah. As I said, just bear in mind that that's just hearsay from the info I've gathered from lurking and doing some digging around here. I'm pretty new to this, lol.

What also annoyed me is that their website still says they're using the in-house movement... despite their telling me (in an email) that they only used the in-house one at the very beginning.

I wonder if the website would have remained the same if they started with the Depa and then moved to the in-house one. Maybe it would, and maybe I'm too cynical, but I somehow doubt it.

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
To keep this thread alive, I have a Revue auto chrono watch in the mail and will shortly post pictures

1 - 20 of 22 Posts