WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DSC_0615.JPG

After a couple of years, and not knowing how long ago, but ever since he quit to exhibit at Baselworld, I met Roland Murphy from RGM at the GTE 2012 again. It was a pleasure seeing him again and knowing he and RGM are still going strong.

The big news was that Roland told me about a new movement he was working on. It will be his third in-house and all American movement of which you can see pictures below: the Caliber 20, named after RGM's 20th Anniversary. The watch that will hold this movement will be launched this summer.

DSC_0627.JPG

DSC_0628.JPG

It is RGM's third in-house movement and their first with a Motor Barrel. "Top grade American railroad watches from the past had a "Motor Barrel", models like the Illinois Bunn Special, Hamilton 950, and others from great American watch brands."

DSC_0629.JPG

DSC_0630.JPG

"The "Motor Barrel" is an American invention and was used only on the highest grade models. The benefit of the design is that it reduces friction and wear in the mainspring barrel bearing surfaces, thus transmitting power more efficiently.

DSC_0636.JPG

DSC_0637.JPG

Here's a (rather blurry, sorry!) picture of the Caliber 801:
DSC_0620.JPG

and the front of the watch:
DSC_0616.JPG
And of course he showed me some stunning RGM watches from his collection:

DSC_0626.JPG
The Pennsylvania Tourbillon, "Made in the USA".

DSC_0633.JPG
RGM's new pilot watch: 801P Aircraft.
The dial is reminiscent of American Aircraft clocks of WWII (see the clock behind the watch)

DSC_0634.JPG

DSC_0621.JPG

Related link: RGM Watch Company

·
Registered
6,160 Posts
Gorgeous.

Great to see a new American movement being developed.

Wish I could afford one.

Reactions: mpalmer

·
Premium Member
2,429 Posts
I'm always happy to see an expansion of the American watch industry!

As a side note, one of my personal pet peeves is the common usage of the word "Motor Barrel" which many people incorrectly use in reference to another uniquely American invention, the safety barrel. Judging by the diagram on their website, the new caliber from RGM has a mainspring barrel that can correctly be called a "Motor Barrel."

RGM just gained a lot of points in my book!

·
Registered
2 Posts
As far as I am concerned RGM is the only American company truly carrying the torch of real American watchmaking tradition and future horological prowess.
Now, I just have to sell my favorite timepiece to add one to my collection.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Fantastic!

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
Gorgeous. If only more Americans test drove these instead of SUVs....

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Gorgeous. If only more Americans test drove these instead of SUVs....
???

Personally, I look forward to test driving one of these:

on my way to pick up one of these:

Reactions: mpalmer

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Hey now! A teenage rarity that I haven't the pleasure of yet. Used to drool over one that lived down the street from me way back when. Something I wouldn't mind experiencing even if it made Time's top 50 Worst Cars of all time.

That said, yes, my post was almost as silly as the random anti-SUV injection into the discussion of RGMs.

Reactions: CADstraps

·
Registered
623 Posts
This new RGM caliber 20 has a Moon Phase indicator too.

A little birdie told me that they are drawing up plans for Jump Hour and Repeaters in years to come.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Is there a significance to the fact that the movement is rectangular? Does it mean it will require a rectangular case, or simply a large case?

·
Premium Member
13,298 Posts
those are great news

1 - 15 of 15 Posts