WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Ridiculously Accurate DateJust 16233

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  rolex123 
#1 ·
So I am new to the world of Rolex and wanted to start with something classic. I really appreciate the history behind the watch and love the look. I also really like the value that a well kept 16233 represents.

It's not a young watch, coming from 1990 (I have every piece of paperwork for it). It was really well cared for and still looks new, the band is showing very little stretch at all... I think my desk diving have marked it more than the previous owner :-s . Anyway, I bought it to wear it. I'm unsure of any servicing.

I have it sync'd to my Seiko 8F32 HEQ which is sync'd to an atomic clock. So far, having just got it this week, after just under 69 hours it's literally only 1 second out, possibly less... Slightly slow, I think. I have been wearing it all day and putting it in my watch box at night (around a pillow).

I'm shocked. I don't think this is normal, I keep checking if I've made a mistake or if my Seiko is out, or if it's by some freak thing 1 minute out, but it's all good. Spot on. I can't believe it.

Has anyone else experienced this kind of thing? I did a search but found nothing concrete. As with mechanical things... Perhaps I'm just lucky?

See less See more
#2 ·
Consider yourself lucky! Though I have yet to have a Rolex that wasn't 1 - 2+ per day max. They're pretty amazing.

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply, it really must be a combination of luck/what I'm doing with it/luck/the weather/luck. :) Feels like it should be some kind of record! It's like a quartz.

Anyway, some pics... (Forgot some other bits, hang tag etc, all numbers match up :) )

#4 ·
My little Oysterdate came back from a service (from SHWR, not Rolex) and was spot on for about 2 months; this was couple of years ago now. Never been that good since unfortunately!

#5 ·
Okay, so it does happen! Thanks for the post Dasser. Makes me feel like I'm not so crazy. LOL

My closest in mechanical accuracy is the Million Smart at +4-7s a day. The B-Barrel is ++25s off, the Lord Marvel is +10-20s and my Seiko 5 was one that ran really, really fast (1 min/hr) until I regulated it, now at -10s per day.

I guess I've never had such an accurate mechanical, although my old man's Breitling Blackbird is at ~+4s which is what I expected from my 16233, hence the surprise. Still spot on now to the second (85hrs). Amazing, must be the weather!

#7 ·
Thanks ccm123!

Currently to the second at 98hrs. Originally I thought it might be slightly slow, now I think it might be slightly fast. Probably my eyesight and it's been basically dead on the whole time. I've stopped wearing it and will see how it goes today.

If someone had told me their mechanical was this accurate before this week, I probably wouldn't have believed them...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.