WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post so bear with me. I have 6.5 inch wrists and wondering what the max size lugs/case for me. I've had my Seiko 5 for about half a year, and while it's fine it just doesn't grab my attention. I was looking at the Orient Mako and wondering if it would suit my wrists. However I would be very open to suggestions.

Here's what I'm interested in:

• Ideally a diver
• Size is your decision
• Automatic is a must

Thanks for any answers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,777 Posts
This is my first post so bear with me. I have 6.5 inch wrists and wondering what the max size lugs/case for me. I've had my Seiko 5 for about half a year, and while it's fine it just doesn't grab my attention. I was looking at the Orient Mako and wondering if it would suit my wrists. However I would be very open to suggestions.

• Ideally a diver
• Size is your decision
• Automatic is a must

Thanks for any answers.
Size is ultimately your decision. How large is the Seiko you have, and how do you perceive that it fits you?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Size is ultimately your decision. How large is the Seiko you have, and how do you perceive that it fits you?
Like watchcrank said, size is ultimately up to you. I have some watches that are 45mm and they wear nicely, but I have also tried some on which were the same size and it looked like a wall clock on my wrist. I have a 7.5 inch wrist BTW. I would suggest going to your local watch shop and trying on some different sized watches. You may be pleasantly surprised and what you find size wise.

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
I have a 6.5 inch wrist also and had a Mako. It fit very well. I found out the hard way that the lug to lug measurement is more important to me. I try to keep it at 48mm max. For me, it feels and looks better.

Depends on your tastes.

Reactions: RoboPenguin

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Like watchcrank said, size is ultimately up to you. I have some watches that are 45mm and they wear nicely, but I have also tried some on which were the same size and it looked like a wall clock on my wrist. I have a 7.5 inch wrist BTW. I would suggest going to your local watch shop and trying on some different sized watches. You may be pleasantly surprised and what you find size wise.
Cheers I'll try to do that.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a 6.5 inch wrist also and had a Mako. It fit very well. I found out the hard way that the lug to lug measurement is more important to me. I try to keep it at 48mm max. For me, it feels and looks better.

Depends on your tastes.
That's good to hear, thanks.

·
Premium Member
7,000 Posts
I have a 7 inch wrist, and usually wear 40-44mm watches, though I have a few smaller (like the HMT White Pilot I'm wearing today, at somewhere in the neighborhood of 36mm.)
As others have said, numbers are abitrary. A number of folks have attempted to create mathematical formulae for determining your "ideal" size:
https://www.watchuseek.com/f2/*correct*-mathematical-watch-sizing-guide-954023.html
https://www.watchuseek.com/f2/my-mathematical-watch-sizing-guide-592616.html

But I'll throw out an arbitrary answer: 40mm diameter, ~48mm lug-to-lug with 6.5" wrists.

At that size, I'd look at the 420 (round) case shape of Vostok Amphibians. Entry level price, robust movements and cases, right size, unique Russian styling. (If you get a "classic" one, you'll need to replace the bracelet.)
420 Meranom.com
420SE Meranom.com

The other case styles for the Vostok Amphibian may be appropriate for you, too. But because they're more oblong or square, they wear larger than their measurements indicate.

Reactions: RoboPenguin

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a 7 inch wrist, and usually wear 40-44mm watches, though I have a few smaller (like the HMT White Pilot I'm wearing today, at somewhere in the neighborhood of 36mm.)
As others have said, numbers are abitrary. A number of folks have attempted to create mathematical formulae for determining your "ideal" size:
https://www.watchuseek.com/f2/*correct*-mathematical-watch-sizing-guide-954023.html
https://www.watchuseek.com/f2/my-mathematical-watch-sizing-guide-592616.html

But I'll throw out an arbitrary answer: 40mm diameter, ~48mm lug-to-lug with 6.5" wrists.

At that size, I'd look at the 420 (round) case shape of Vostok Amphibians. Entry level price, robust movements and cases, right size, unique Russian styling. (If you get a "classic" one, you'll need to replace the bracelet.)
420 Meranom.com
420SE Meranom.com

The other case styles for the Vostok Amphibian may be appropriate for you, too. But because they're more oblong or square, they wear larger than their measurements indicate.
Thanks for the links, although I'm in the UK. I'll try those measurements like one of the previous posters.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I also have a wrist that is around 6.5'' and find that 40mm watches are just right for me, with the lug to lug size being pretty important, although this size is not often stated by sellers and I have to contact them and ask for it. Good luck with your search and keep the forum updated with your decision.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I also have a wrist that is around 6.5'' and find that 40mm watches are just right for me, with the lug to lug size being pretty important, although this size is not often stated by sellers and I have to contact them and ask for it. Good luck with your search and keep the forum updated with your decision.
Thank you, I'm definitely leaning towards the mako. Now it's black or blue!

·
Registered
926 Posts

• Ideally a diver
• Size is your decision
• Automatic is a must

Thanks for any answers.

The Orient Mako, Orient Ray, Seiko SKX007, and SKX009 would make make excellent options. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Just another me-too as far as lug to lug being the more important dimension. I also have a 6.5 inch wrist and I agree that 48mm is a pretty good maximum; along with that, I have seen very fey watchers over 42mm in diameter that have not looked silly. I would like to see a better selection in the 38-40mm size range; but, the market is dominated my watches that show up well in the movie placements.

I generally wear a older Omega Seamaster Pro GMT. It is about the biggest thing I wear (other than a g-shock for certain sports). I keep looking for something similar; but, there is nothing on the market with its features and size. For a dress watch I generally wear a Fredrique Constant that is about 38mm.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Forgo the Mako in favor of the Seiko SKX013. In my experience Orient, maybe not Orient Star, but regular Orient divers don't stack up to Seiko's. They're similar in style, but the bezel, crystal, and case design are a step up.

At 38mm the 013 will be a really nice size for your 6.5in wrist, imo.

Decent resale value if you decide to sell someday too.

You could probably pull off the larger SKX007 too, but I'd personally prefer the mid size 013 if I had a sub 7in wrist.

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk HD

·
Premium Member
7,000 Posts
Thanks for the links, although I'm in the UK. I'll try those measurements like one of the previous posters.

Being in the U.K. doesn't prevent you from purchasing Vostok watches from Meranom. They ship worldwide.

Reactions: OhDark30

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Being in the U.K. doesn't prevent you from purchasing Vostok watches from Meranom. They ship worldwide.
Its more the customs I worry about. I bought a 2013 topps football hobby box knowing I would have to pay customs. The cards cost the equivalent of £30 and I payed another £19.50 on top, more than 50%:(

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

1 - 20 of 27 Posts