WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I asked a few days ago for some suggestions regarding watchs for groomsmen gifts. I think I have decided that I am going to go with the Orient Esteem

Before I make any moves though. I just wanted to hear from some of you, that know way more about watches and how they are supposed to look when people wear them than I do, if the size of this watch would work.

I am a fairly large guy with a thick wrist and so are two of my groomsmen. The other groomsmens are tall, but have thinner wrists. The esteem has a case size of 41mm. Is this to big or should this work for everyone.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
41mm is on the large side for a dressier style of watch like the Esteem. But it's certainly not out of the ordinary, especially with modern watch size trends. The classic dress watch would be more like 36mm - but today an average size for a dress watch, particularly in brands aimed at a younger audience, is more like 40mm. For what it's worth, darker dial colors usually wear a bit smaller and more conservative than light dial colors. You may want to pick the black dial version of the watch if you're concerned about size.

If your groomsmen are average height or taller, the watch will probably be fine even if their wrists aren't especially large. It's typically a better idea to judge watch size relative to a person's entire body rather than just their wrist. It's the person who will be wearing the watch, and not just their disembodied wrist.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Anything around 40mm give or take 2mm is universally acceptable IMO. Might look big or small on some depending on individual taste, but itll be appropriate. I would be worried if it was 44mm+ but at 41, it should be fine.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Anything around 40mm give or take 2mm is universally acceptable IMO. Might look big or small on some depending on individual taste, but itll be appropriate. I would be worried if it was 44mm+ but at 41, it should be fine.
I agree. You aren't likely to do better when it comes to an all-purpose size.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
I agree with the previous comments. I have smallish [6.75"] wrists and have no problem with 41mm watches being "too big". Heck, I tried on a 45mm Orient PO and didn't feel it was "too big", some watches wear smaller. As LesserBlackDog said, while 41 is a bit big for a "classic" dress watch, the trend nowadays is toward bigger watches, so that should be fine... and well received!

Best wishes for your coming nuptuals!

Randy

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
While it would be on the large side for a dress watch, I think 41mm will be fine. It would be 'okay' on even a tiny wrist. You are very thoughtful, and I'm sure they will appreciate your gesture.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts