WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Regards from Rhodes, Greece. Today I was at an incredible beach on the southern tip of the island Rhodes enjoying a beautiful, windy day. My faithful seamaster pro was along for the trip, on the wonderful bond bracelet. I had contemplated taking it off to go swimming, because of the salt water, even though I would have given it a bath. I was swimming peacefully in fairly mild surf, and turned my back to a wave. It broke into my waist and hanging arms, and to my horror and disbelief the bracelet came undone and broke. I had been checking to make sure it was on properly every 5 minutes, and the divers extension was seated properly etc. I franticay searched the area and later the entire beach, all in vain. I was absolutly shocked that my supposed professional divers watch could not stand up to mild surf. When I return home will send letters to both omega and the credit card company, and with any luck the watch will be replaced. I hope it enjoys a tranquil existance in one of the most beautful places I have ever been to, at the bottom of the Aegean sea. RIP my beloved seamaster professional. :-(

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I am really sorry to hear about the loss of your Seamaster! They are, indeed, supposed to be able stand up to the rigors of swimming and diving! Had you experienced any problems beforehand with the bracelet?

Hope you can get it replaced right away with something that will hang on to your wrist!

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
This is one of the reasons why when I dive, swim, water-ski my watches are on a Zulu/Nato or a slip through velcro type strap!!! I've had spring-bars fail and my watch just dangle there by one pin......but it ended up coming home with me!!!

Sorry for loss!! I sure hope you can get it sorted and all works out well!!

Just be sure to slip your watch on a different strap next time and all will be great!!!:-!

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
Very sorry to hear that. Very disappointing really. I try not to baby my watches, so most of my Omegas have seen the ocean and so far no trouble. Do you, by chance, know if a spring bar let loose or was it a pin from the bracelet?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Sorry to hear about your unfortunate incident. We'll probably read a post a couple years from now that someone found a Seamaster at the bottom of the Aegean Sea, wound it, and found it's still working. Omega will probably even feature it in an advertising campaign. Oh, the irony of the Seamaster going back to its rightful home. In all seriousness, it doesn't sound like you did anything wrong, so there's no reason to beat yourself up over it.

·
Banned
4,334 Posts
"Ouch!"o| I can only imagine your horror! I'm spending a week at the Ocean (Jersey Shore) soon. I plan on wearing my trusty "stunt double" to the beach (black Bond mid-size quartz).:think:... Is it possible that because you kept checking it, you inadvertently didn't secure the clasp? The reason I ask is that sometimes when putting on my SMP, in my haste, I think I've snapped it shut, and then the clasp pops open, because I hadn't made sure I heard the click. I'd bet that others have experienced this from time to time. In any case, I'm genuinely upset for you, because I know how I'd feel. In the meantime, don't let this loss of "an object" ruin your memories of what must be an awesome vacation, because as we all know,.....$#!- happens!:roll: Good luck, CJ, and Godspeed, on your way home!:)

;-) KAT

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
egads that stinks! Like Kat said I've done the "in haste" throw it on my wrist a few times actually and it scared me each time! Hope it all works out for you in the end :)

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Uff... I can imagine the horror of the moment... to have something slip away like that.

Hope someone can make it right for you.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Truly a sad story. I suspect it will wash up on shore rather than out to sea, or simply be stepped on by another (lucky) swimmer.

I had a pin holding the strap on my Nikonos break a some years ago. I think the NATO is a good idea - but know, deep down inside, that I will never wear one.

·
Registered
558 Posts
That is a very big bummer, I'm very sorry! I had that happen to a Speedy Pro years ago. I was able to catch it just as it fell off my wrist because I was looking at it when it happened.

It would beinteresting to hear whay Omega or the credit card company will do.
Could you let us know?

·
Registered
871 Posts
ouch, thats really a bad incident :(
its not the first time we hear about failing springbars and bracelets tho. and other people found those failed watches in parking lots and such.

nato strap is really the way to go for these tasks. when i went to my AD to get my bracelet of my speedy removed, so i could put on a nato strap.
when i put it on directly at the shop, the girl behind the couter asked "oww will that hold up?" as well ye, the strap does look flimsy compared to a brecelt. but i explained to her thats its twice as safe because it hangs on 2 spring bars. also the strap itself would never ever snap. it would tear your arm off rather than rip in two

i wish you luck with mailing omega and he credit card company.

·
Registered
8,485 Posts
Goodluck on getting something free from Omega. I had an on going battle with Omega after I got my watch back with gash/chisel mark. I filed a report with the BBB ( New Jersey) Turns out I was not the first.
John Wilson

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
I am very sorry about your watch, I hope it did not spoil your vacation. (I would have used it as an excuse to buy a new watch while on vacation, but that is me.)

I do not believe Omega has any liability on the matter, accidents happen, so I expect nothing from them. If I thought it was Omega's fault, I would not buy their watches anymore, until the problem I had with them is corrected, which might never happen, or I could correct the problem myself (for instance, with a NATO strap as many have suggested, or a rubber dive strap with a tang and buckle.)

If you have insurance, then it should be a done deal, with no stress from you.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
man..what a bummer. If Omega or your CC company can't do anything for you, perhaps try your home insurance policy? You guys may laugh at this but my policy covers items that are mysteriously lost. I asked the insurance rep what it meant a while back and he indicated that the policy covers items that get lost 'mysteriously' (an example he gave was - a diamond ring down a drain)

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
To the OP: I'm truly sorry to hear about your loss :-(. This is exactly why I choose to carry a "Personal Articles Policy" on all my watches. It costs me about $10 a month (that's for all the watches) and covers me 100% w/ no deductible against loss, theft, mysterious disappearance, and damage. I figure with watches costing this much money and the possibility of replacement on my own close to nill, it's well worth having the insurance.
Again, I'm sorry to hear about your loss.

Goodluck on getting something free from Omega. I had an on going battle with Omega after I got my watch back with gash/chisel mark. I filed a report with the BBB ( New Jersey) Turns out I was not the first.
John Wilson
WOW John, that would REALLY P*** me off. Did it ever come to an amicable conclusion?

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
First and foremost, that really sucks and I feel for you.

But something doesn't quite feel right here:think: You're wearing a diving watch in the ocean and you are checking every five minutes to see if it is still on your wrist........ Why the insecurities in the first place (justifiable in your case post loss)?
Once again, you are wearing a pro divers watch that is (supposedly) built for the water? Have you had issues with the strap in the past?

Just to clarify, I'm not having a go, just strangely curious.

Hope you don't lose too much faith in the brand.

Jon

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Man, that sucks, I can sort of empathize having dropped a pair of expensive sunglasses into the carribean some years ago, and a really nice, brand new leatherman tool into a lake another time...not nearly as expensive, but it makes your heart sink for a moment.
Sorry for your misfortune and not to rub salt into the wound, but Nato/Zulu really is the way to go for ocean activity. Spring bars can fail on any watch, regardless of manufacture.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Sounds horrible.

I just got back from the beach myself, and had my newly acquired PO on the OEM rubber strap. Luckily I endured no such loss, but can't say I wasn't a little worried about a spring bar popping out.

I ordered a Bond style NATO last night, so I will be sure to try that on next time I go into the ocean.

Best of luck.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts