WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Banned
4,334 Posts
I am very sorry about your watch, I hope it did not spoil your vacation. (I would have used it as an excuse to buy a new watch while on vacation, but that is me.)

I do not believe Omega has any liability on the matter, accidents happen, so I expect nothing from them. If I thought it was Omega's fault, I would not buy their watches anymore, until the problem I had with them is corrected, which might never happen, or I could correct the problem myself (for instance, with a NATO strap as many have suggested, or a rubber dive strap with a tang and buckle.)

If you have insurance, then it should be a done deal, with no stress from you.
I wasn't going to mention it, but since SD brought it up, based on what you said, you don't really know why the watch disengaged from your wrist. Given that, neither Omega or your CC co. bears any liability, unless your CC Co. has a "no questions asked" refund policy. If you have a rider on your Home Owners insurance, specific to your watches, which covers loss, you have hope. Otherwise, you may be out of luck, and will have to replace it, if desired, on your own dime. Do let us know how this all turns out. Good luck!

;-) KAT

·
Registered
636 Posts
Ouch...That pretty well ruins an otherwise amazing sounding vacation...

Like others have said, I always use a nato strap when doing any type of water activities with my watches...It's just safer in the event that something like this happens...what are the odds you would have two spring bars fail causing the nato strap to be useless...

At any rate good luck and I hope you do get a replacement...I can tell by some of your posts that you really did love that watch...

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Sorry for the loss of the watch. Not a good feeling at all, I'm sure. My rule is either a G-Shock or a ZULU strap when near water...Period. Too easy to lose a spring bar.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I can understand that wearing a Nato/Zulu would remove the risk of the clasp coming undone, even though the watch would still have to come over your hand to be lost, but if the springbar fails then surely you are going to lose your watch irrespective of what strap or bracelet you are wearing?

So whats the benefit of it:think:

·
Registered
772 Posts
Goodluck on getting something free from Omega. I had an on going battle with Omega after I got my watch back with gash/chisel mark. I filed a report with the BBB ( New Jersey) Turns out I was not the first.
John Wilson

wow that is shocking... from an Omega S/C??? I feel your pain :-(

There is no excuse for that ugly botch. It looks beyond salvageable. I hope you get a new like-for-like new replacement watch or equivalent value from Omega.

·
Banned
4,334 Posts
The way the strap is threaded between the two bars, if one failed, the watch would flop, but
still be attached to the Nato.

KAT

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I can understand that wearing a Nato/Zulu would remove the risk of the clasp coming undone, even though the watch would still have to come over your hand to be lost, but if the springbar fails then surely you are going to lose your watch irrespective of what strap or bracelet you are wearing?

I think you have it backward. If a springbar fails, the other one still holds the watch to the strap. It's the clasp/buckle that could send the entire watch to the deep if it fails (but wrapping the strap tail around the metal keepers can prevent this).

·
Registered
333 Posts
Sounds horrible.
I ordered a Bond style NATO last night, so I will be sure to try that on next time I go into the ocean.
On my 2254.50 the springbars that come with the bracelet are 19mm rather than 20mm. I popped a springbar swimming with my 2254.50 on a Nato, it did just then hang there on the other springbar but gave me cause for concern.

You can however get 20mm Omega spring bars from Ofrei, and I would strongly recommend that anyone contemplating putting their SMP on a NATO consider pick up the longer bars. The Nato strap can move around on the springbar (unlike the bracelet), and the edge can end up catching on the springbar shoulder and pop the springbar. The longer bars seem to reduce the chance of this.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I appreciate all the sympathy... I'm just going to enjoy the rest of my vacation and try not to think about it, and sort it out when I get home. Hopefully it will be sorted out, otherwise I'll have to replace it myself... I really did love the watch and will keep you all posted.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I think you have it backward. If a springbar fails, the other one still holds the watch to the strap. It's the clasp/buckle that could send the entire watch to the deep if it fails (but wrapping the strap tail around the metal keepers can prevent this).
DOH! Indeed it would. Been working too hard;-)

Thanks both.

Ps. I was refering to the clasp and buckle of the bracelet.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Sorry to hear that :-(
Hm is it just me or the bond bracelet looks nice and all, but it's a bit on fragile side?

My father has bond and his bracelet failed (or about to) couple of times in a decade.
My even older Speedy bracelet, never.
So far, my newer SMP-GMT, nothing to complain... yet.

·
Registered
365 Posts

if a springbar breaks on bracelet, your watch will fall.
if on nato/zulu, because of the construction, two springbars has to go before your watch hit the curb.

·
Premium Member
7,505 Posts
Sorry to hear this. That sucks, big time. Hope this never happens again. Hang in there. Enjoy the vacation. Time, and how you spend it, is more important than any material object. |>

·
Registered
92 Posts
On my 2254.50 the springbars that come with the bracelet are 19mm rather than 20mm. I popped a springbar swimming with my 2254.50 on a Nato, it did just then hang there on the other springbar but gave me cause for concern.

You can however get 20mm Omega spring bars from Ofrei, and I would strongly recommend that anyone contemplating putting their SMP on a NATO consider pick up the longer bars. The Nato strap can move around on the springbar (unlike the bracelet), and the edge can end up catching on the springbar shoulder and pop the springbar. The longer bars seem to reduce the chance of this.
At what points do you measure the springbars to determine length?

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Really sorry to hear that. But if it had to go, at least it died an honorable death at sea.

Someone is going to step on that watch and win the jackpot.

·
Registered
92 Posts
So sorry for your loss! I would cry.

When I was a kid in the late 60's I read everything I could get my hands on that had to do with scuba diving. At the time, the defining characteristics of a dive watch that I had gleaned from the literature were a ratcheting bezel (one-way), screw-down crown, and screws for attaching the bracelet, i.e., not spring bars. Indeed, many dive watches, in particular my Bulova Snorkel, had all of these features.

If there was a high quality mod available for the SMP that involved drilling and tapping the lugs and replacing the spring bars with screws, I would have it done.

Having just replaced the clasp on my SMP "Speedy" bracelet, as well as having previously resized it myself, I am fairly confident that given:

• pins and collars that are not worn out from numerous resizings;
  • the solidity of the machined clasp body, as opposed to stamped metal on other watches;
  • solidity of balance of clasp components;

I am fairly confident that none of this is even remotely likely to fail. However, I am not aware of the long term issues, such as corrosion of pins, as I have just recently acquired mine. I strongly suspect a popped spring bar in the OP's case, or perhaps even a bracelet opening with the watch sliding off the hand.

·
G-Shock Mod
14,334 Posts
Sorry to hear that :-(
Hm is it just me or the bond bracelet looks nice and all, but it's a bit on fragile side?

My father has bond and his bracelet failed (or about to) couple of times in a decade.
My even older Speedy bracelet, never.
So far, my newer SMP-GMT, nothing to complain... yet.
may I ask how did the bond bracelet failed?

·
G-Shock Mod
14,334 Posts
To the OP: sorry to hear your lose :( but quick question, did you happened to have the bracelet sized any time soon before the incident? or have the bracelet installed onto the watch? how old is the watch (trying to determine the age and condition of the spring bars)? does the clasp usually engage securely?

·
Registered
145 Posts
That is terrible. So sorry to hear it.

I recommend carry an insurance policy (usually as a rider on your home/renter's insurance) that will cover watches/jewelry 100%. I specifically got it in writing from my insurer that the replacement any of my watches is 100% covered against loss. Theft, ocean, accidents, carelessness... it's good peace of mind for under $200/year.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Sorry to hear about your loss. Look on the bright side though...

1) You lost it while swimming in the ocean, not having it taken from your wrist while you were passed out drunk at the bar. In a few weeks, after you get over the pain of losing it, you'll have one hell of a story (or tall-tale) to tell.

2) Perfect excuse to buy a new watch!!!

21 - 40 of 59 Posts