Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

I've recently observed that some parts of the LCD display of my

Riseman don't seem to be right.:-s

Unfortunately, i have no stored close-up shots right after its

purchase.

I was wondering if there are others out there who have the same

issue..

The abnormalities can be seen on the upper right part of the screen.

Notice letters "E" and "D".

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Mine doesn't look like that :-(

The E and the D are both fully formed.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
oh my, sorry to see that, buddy! :oops: it doesn't show up often here, but you clearly have a broken / defective riseman.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I have a Riseman, the digits are "full".
Sorry to see that in yours.
Usually it's a defective panel/panel connections.

If it's still under warranty, take it to Casio and fix it.
Good luck.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a Riseman, the digits are "full".
Sorry to see that in yours.
Usually it's a defective panel/panel connections.

If it's still under warranty, take it to Casio and fix it.
Good luck.

o|o| .... I'll e-mail the vendor and I'll be crossing my fingers that it still

is..:-x

My bad though.. I didn't bother to ask for the warranty card that

should've came with the unit when it got to me. @#$% ! :-x:-x

Do the button press combination to get the whole LCD display lit up.

I'm actually not familiar with the button press combo DJ... how exactly

does it work?

As are on mine.

Kirk, have you tried toggling the day setting or even the display modes to see if the 'defect' is consistent?
Yes I did, bro.. and I'm guessing Galpo is spot-on. Some of its panel

connections may be busted. @#$% . I'm wondering why though? :-s

I'm pretty sure this wasn't the case a few months back.. knowing

myself and my crazy mind I would've spotted the abnormalities right away.

The defect hits only certain days of the week... consistently. o|o|

oh my, sorry to see that, buddy! :oops: it doesn't show up often here, but you clearly have a broken / defective riseman.

o|o|o|

Mine doesn't look like that :-(

The E and the D are both fully formed.

|> ..good to know yours is fine buddy. I really hope I could still get this

baby fixed or replaced..

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here are shots of the 9200 in its test screen mode..

Everything seems to be fine?.. :think::-s

·
Registered
106 Posts
If satisfaction with the seller meets with negative results, I'd remove the back cover and perform an 'all reset' procedure as (hopefully) indicated therein. Usually, the reset calls for touching the battery to an AC spot on the module with a metal tweezer for about two seconds. Same as replacing a standard battery in a DW model. Might work to reset the chip on the module.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Apparently, the issue is not consistent after all....if that makes sense.:think:

Earlier today when I woke up, I noticed that the digits for "THU" had no gaps... I proceeded in trying out the test screen mode right after.. got an equally perfect result.

Prob is, just moments ago I took notice that now, the "THU" digits have faded edges unlike earlier this morning. :-s

Tried the test screen mode again and as expected.. the GAPS showed this

time.

Weird. :-| This is pissing me off.

I'll try to post some more shots of it in test screen mode with different results.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
If satisfaction with the seller meets with negative results, I'd remove the back cover and perform an 'all reset' procedure as (hopefully) indicated therein.
I would be extremely surprised if that made any difference (apart from opening a solar watch, something potentially adversely affecting water resistance). Usually, an LCD segment shows up or it doesn't. The pictures of the symptom would definitely indicate a defective LCD panel, IMHO.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I would be extremely surprised if that made any difference (apart from opening a solar watch, something potentially adversely affecting water resistance). Usually, an LCD segment shows up or it doesn't. The pictures of the symptom would definitely indicate a defective LCD panel, IMHO.

Thanks for the input, MRG-1000.. :) Does this abnormality/ defect somehow progress? Because I've noticed that some segments that showed on my first try (test screen mode) did not, on my second and 3rd a few hours later... :-s

What I'm saying is, the "gaps" hit different panels at different times.

It reminds me of freaking christmas lights.

·
Moderator G-Shock Forum
6,177 Posts
Thanks for the input, MRG-1000.. :) Does this abnormality/ defect somehow progress? Because I've noticed that some segments that showed on my first try (test screen mode) did not, on my second and 3rd a few hours later... :-s

What I'm saying is, the "gaps" hit different panels at different times.

It reminds me of freaking christmas lights.
It might be a contact problem between electronics and LCD panel. :think:
Is shaking the watch changing anything?
Anyhow, the is a faulty module inside. :-(

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Does this abnormality/ defect somehow progress? Because I've noticed that some segments that showed on my first try (test screen mode) did not, on my second and 3rd a few hours later... :-s
Well, I can think of two explanations for that:

- The two glass panels making up the LCD with the liquid in between them might not be properly "filled" or the glass panels might not be properly glued together, allowing for more room for the liquid inside. There might be "air" floating in the individual segment cells, so that depending on angle and temperature it might fill the cell better than under different conditions.

- Contact issues between module and LCD. The two parts are not hard wired but rather pressed against each other with a rubbery connector. Therefore, temperature (shrinking/extension of materials) and moving might affect the behavior - at least temporarily. But this is less likely the actual reason because a segment should rather be completely out instead of only visible in part.

Anyway, I'd return the watch instead of tampering with it in any way. You have photos documenting the issue to go along with the warranty exchange request even if it temporarily is looking fine again.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts