WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Inspired by another thread on this forum, I decided to put together my own Riseman - Men in military colors.
First of all, I had to find out if the parts I would need were still available and somewhat to my surprise they were!
Next step: order the parts. Check!
Then: decide whether I would use my current Riseman which is in excellent cosmetic condition or buy a working Riseman that already a rough life and would not mind a make over.
I started looking for a watch that corresponded to these criteria and found one in Germany.
Decision made: order the watch. Check!

Today both the parts as the watch were delivered:

IMG_20191112_092422.jpg

IMG_20191112_112529.jpg

To be continued...

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Today - after having mowed the lawn - I finally found some me-time to start with the built of my own version of the Riseman - Men in Military Colors or also known as GW-9200ERJ-3.
There are still some differences with the original, but it looks fine imho. Therefore I chose not to mount a backplate of a GW-9200ERJ-3. So that will remain clear that it is a customized watch.

Let me tell and show you what I did.

First of all I removed the black band, bezel and back cover. Thus far, nothing special and straight forward.

Then I opened up the case:
IMG_20191117_151610.jpg

Lifted the module out without disconnecting the sensor and took out the plastic frame that creates the different areas on the display:
IMG_20191117_151744.jpg

Replaced the red ring with the green one and so part number one has been replaced:
IMG_20191117_152032.jpg

Next steps had to be done very carefully so that I would not damage the little flat cable that connects the sensor to the motherboard of the module.
Unmounted the silver front G-button by removing the stupidly tiny E-circlips with some very fine tweezers:
IMG_20191117_152647.jpg

Did the same for the red side button.
Mounted the new G- and side button, black as they should be in this version of the Riseman. Putting back the E-circlips of those buttons litteraly made me sweat. This was by far the hardest part of the operation, but parts 2 and 3 are replaced! After having greased the sealing I closed up the watch:
IMG_20191117_161423.jpg

Then it was time to prepare the bezel.
The standard Riseman has a silver colored design element at the 12 o'clock position, in this version it is replaced by a black one (part number 4):
IMG_20191117_161547.jpg

Also the sensor plate is different and as you might have guessed, it is black... So took a tiny piece of double-sided 3M tape and pasted the plate on it's place and by doing this the replacing of part number 5 is history:
IMG_20191117_162026.jpg

Finalizing the conversion by putting part number 6, being the bezel, on top of the case:
IMG_20191117_163433.jpg

Small preview of how the strap will look on the overhauled watch:
IMG_20191117_164006_1.jpg

Screwed the back cover (part number 7) in it's place and attached the strap (part number 8) to the watch:
IMG_20191117_164206.jpg

And finally it looks like this:
IMG_20191117_164222.jpg IMG_20191117_164226.jpg

Must say that I'm a big fan of this customization. Had a great time working on it.

Probably I will post some more pictures later on, in better lighting conditions.

·
Registered
12,579 Posts
Looks great, now see if you can find a small star laminate or 2 to add to the bottom right like the other men in military models.

Now your making me want to get a new band and bezel for my 8900nv that has some serious battle scars.

Love all of your restoration projects. Keep up the good work.

Sent from Capt Kirk's Communicator

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
Reactions: kosio and Dxnnis

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Love all of your restoration projects. Keep up the good work.
Thx! Still have another small project in the pipeline, not really a restoration though.

Looks great, @kosio. I own an ERJ but I love your clear LCD. Very clean.
Thx! It's the regular Riseman LCD. Have been doubting to buy the ERJ-specific LCD, but decided not to because I thought the little difference between both LCD's wasn't worth the extra work and money :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts