WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I recently purchased a Riseman from Leisurepro.com. I love the watch and am impressed by the build quality and all its features. I do, however, have a question.

On a cold night a few days ago I was out getting wood for our fireplace and when I came back in there was condensation on the inside of the crystal. I was heartbroken to see it and figured the watch was defective. Rather than sending it back right away I decided to remove the back and give it the blow dryer treatment in an effort to evaporate the water inside it. I also checked the gasket which seemed good so I don't think it leaked from the caseback but could it have leaked through the sensor on the side of the watch? How is that part sealed to prevent water intrusion? It just seems that there are more places to leak on this watch than there would be on a mudman or dw-6900 and I'm worried that the water resistancy on this model is not quite as good as the more basic G's. Also, for reference, I've only worn the watch in shower and have not yet had the opportunity to swim with it. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
636 Posts
tseely,

I do believe most (if not, all) G-Shocks are made in Thailand. Knowing that Thailand is a relatively hot and humid place, during the manufacture process and sealing process of the watch, humid air must have been trapped inside the watch when its sealed, thus, on a cold night, you will get condensation on the watch.

On the other side, I have heard that all G-Shock watchs are actually manufactured in a humidity controlled place in the factory, even its controlled, some form of humid air must have entered the watch when its been sealed, thus this happens on a cold night.

Is your area you are living in humid? If it is, its a bad choice to open it up yourself. Yes, using the blow dryer method works, but when you close the watch back, more humid air must have been trapped inside, making the current situation worse.

Regards,
Roy

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, using the blow dryer method works, but when you close the watch back, more humid air must have been trapped inside, making the current situation worse.
I should clarify that after the blow dryer treatment the watch has not leaked or shown condensation. I'm just concerned that the sensor is a point of weakness in which water could have gotten into the watch to begin with.

Thanks for your reply!

·
Registered
636 Posts
I should clarify that after the blow dryer treatment the watch has not leaked or shown condensation. I'm just concerned that the sensor is a point of weakness in which water could have gotten into the watch to begin with.

Thanks for your reply!

Oh understood. For this you should ask the "old birds" in the forums for advice, I'm still new to all this kinda stuff, learning everyday by reading this forum! :-!

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I honestly do not think that the sensor area is more prone to water seeping in.

Casio took pride and is very proud of their achievement in the ability to have 200m water resistant for the Riseman. ;-)

Therefore, the most probable reason would be the humidity during assembly. I have worn my G-9200 Riseman for 4 months already, without any sign of condensation. I live in Malaysia, a country which is hot & humid. Maybe the cold weather encountered on your side of the world caused the condensation. :think:

I have encountered condensation only once with my G-521BD (which I have worn for the past 1.5 years) and it was due to sudden change in temperature.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
MountainMike

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I'm also inclined to believe that the humidity during the assembly process is responsible for the condensation, and not because the watch itself has been compromised.

I also live in a humid country (the Philippines), although temperatures are a bit low lately, being December and all. I've already immersed my G9200 Riseman in a tub of water and placed it under a running faucet. I did observe some air bubbles escaping through the sensor slots the first time I immersed the watch, but there were no signs of moisture having seeped inside the module.

Such is my faith upon the engineering that went into the Riseman's design. b-)

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
As above. I don't believe your watch is allowing water penetration.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys for putting my mind at ease. I feel better now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts