WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I've begun to build my small watch collection I have stuck to new and nearly new pieces thus far.

Recently I have been fixated on an older IWC collector's edition chrono (79320 movement) and have the opportunity to purchase one. Now assuming that an auto-winder is stored in a climate controlled environment and literally never worn, can the movement be considered to be effectively "good as new"? Knowing that cars kept in storage for a similar period can develop all manner of problems, what are the potential risks in buying a 10 year old, unworn watch? The watch has been examined and serviced by the seller, an AD, but do components of the movement suffer from disuse?

·
Registered
927 Posts
A watch that has sat in its box unused for 10 years will have had its lubricating oils dried out. But aside from that, it will be a brand new watch and movement.

If it has been on the autowinder for 10 years, then it's equivalent to a watch that has 10 years of use under its best. It will need a service and relubricating.

Overall it should be fine, but always allocate an extra $500 when buying a used watch for any emergency servicing or repairs that may be required.

·
Moderator Emeritus
55,401 Posts
A watch that has sat in its box unused for 10 years will have had its lubricating oils dried out. But aside from that, it will be a brand new watch and movement.

If it has been on the autowinder for 10 years, then it's equivalent to a watch that has 10 years of use under its best. It will need a service and relubricating.

Overall it should be fine, but always allocate an extra $500 when buying a used watch for any emergency servicing or repairs that may be required.
Quote (OP): ....has been examined and serviced[/] by the seller, an AD, ......Seller should be fine though.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Ah, my bad, I missed out on the AD part. When buying from private sellers, especially on ebay, I tend to presume that "serviced" watches are not serviced, unless given proof of such.

It should be fine if it's an AD though.

Quote (OP): ....has been examined and serviced by the seller, an AD, ......Seller should be fine though.

Reactions: how2collect

·
Premium Member
73,635 Posts
The only thing that a 10 YO NOS watch would need was a service to ensure it was fully lubed but if the AD has done that already you should be good to go.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I was looking at potentially picking up a NOS as well. How do you know if the seller is an AD? Do you contact the respective watch manufacturer and ask them if that particular seller is an AD?

·
Registered
927 Posts
I think you could just ask the seller if they are an AD, and you could confirm via Google with their company name. I don't think too many people would dare to lie about that.

I was looking at potentially picking up a NOS as well. How do you know if the seller is an AD? Do you contact the respective watch manufacturer and ask them if that particular seller is an AD?

·
Moderator Public Forum
23,698 Posts
As I've begun to build my small watch collection I have stuck to new and nearly new pieces thus far.

Recently I have been fixated on an older IWC collector's edition chrono (79320 movement) and have the opportunity to purchase one. Now assuming that an auto-winder is stored in a climate controlled environment and literally never worn, can the movement be considered to be effectively "good as new"? Knowing that cars kept in storage for a similar period can develop all manner of problems, what are the potential risks in buying a 10 year old, unworn watch? The watch has been examined and serviced by the seller, an AD, but do components of the movement suffer from disuse?

The movement itself will indeed be as new. However the lubricants will be dried out and should be replaced with a complete service before the watch is used. Because a chronograph movement is much more complex than a standard mechanical the service will cost around $650+-, which is presumably now part of the price. So be sure to ask what their servicing included and whether it was done by the factory.

·
Registered
9,565 Posts
It all depends on the lubricants and movements

Once I bought a watch with non chrono COSC spec 7750 movt that came out in 2004/2005 in late 2012

When I brought the watch to a local service guy,he checked and said that everything is okay,it even kept COSC time (roughly +1.5 secs a day)

several months later I took it to the brand service centre,they also said the same thing...

So I guess only time will tell what will happen with the movt

1 - 11 of 11 Posts