WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 291 Posts

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
(Post approved by WatchUSeek Admin Team)

Hi folks!

I'd like to introduce you (again) to the River Watch Co Tiber dual crown diver. This has been my pet project for the past year, and it's finally ready to go – in fact, my Kickstarter campaign will be launching this Monday, May 18, at 0800 PST!

I'm basically a watch enthusiast, and this watch basically came from long sessions of checking out auctions for old super compressors (and the occasional LLD) on Ebay. I love a good dual crown, and I wanted to see if I could design something using a modern movement, case and crystal that would be a high quality, affordable, unique and yet obviously a tribute to the old super compressors.

So after a year of tweaking, designing, plotting, scrapping, promoting and learning, it's finally ready to go. I am truly happy with the results, and I hope you are too. Please don't hesitate to ask questions – my goal is to be as transparent as possible, because even though everybody wants to be the next big Kickstarter sensation, you guys are my target audience. This is a watch for you, and I hope you enjoy it!

The specs:

Case: 42mm 316L stainless steel, 50mm lug to lug length and 22mm lug width, 11.3mm thick
Movement: Miyota 9015
Crystal: 2.2 mm sapphire, AR coating on dial surface
Bezel: Bidirectional internal rotating
Water Resistance: 200m/20 ATM
Crowns: Etched logo on 4:00 screw down crown, triple gasket bidirectional 2:00 crown
Caseback: Screw type with etched logo
Lume: Vintage Beige Superluminova C3 on Tiber Tuxedo, Aqua Blue Superluminova BGW9
1 Year international warranty
Strap: Crazy Horse matte leather with signed buckle

The cost:

Backer rewards for Kickstarter will run from $375-$425 CAD, which is equivalent to about $310-350 USD. You'll be able to buy both watches together for $750 CAD as well.

The questions (please free to add your own!):

Where's it made?

It's made in a factory in Shenzhen, China. I've been dealing directly with the factory, with no middle man, which has been quite an experience. I won't tell you exactly which factory, except to say that I've handled more than one watch produced there, and I've had my hands on the protos for the past 5 months, and I'm happy. I think the price point I've selected is pretty darn excellent (not that I'm biased, or anything).

So this is a diver, right? Where's the dive strap?

It turns out that people who love watches like all kinds of straps, but it seems like the general public likes leather or bracelets. So, I made this compromise for now. But remember that Kickstarter has stretch goals, and I've got a few things planned! I can't reveal them all right away, but here's a preview:
http://s367.photobucket.com/user/scottbakker/media/Watch%20Project/NATO%20revised_zpsqo4awv1q.png.html][/URL]

Do those hands look a bit short to you?

Yup. Yup, they do. They're currently undergoing a redesign that will see them longer and slightly wider (the longer for looks, the wider to pack a little more lume in there).

What's the packaging going to look like?

I'd tell you if I knew. That's something still in the planning phase, and I'll update you fine folks as soon as I can. But it'll be good!

Hmm. Looks like something I might be interested in. How can I find out more?

So glad you asked! I have a Facebook page up and running (https://www.facebook.com/pages/River-Watch-Company/1566354490258847), Instagram (@riverwatchco) and even a website at www.riverwatchco.com (you'll notice the website is just a splash page right now, but it will go live the instant the Kickstarter launches). You can even email me at [email protected].

Sounds like a lot of work! Who else is involved?

Well, there's me (hi!) and my wife. Oh, and our three kids, but the oldest one is 8, so... Honestly, this is a family affair. We're learning like crazy, having a blast, and troubleshooting every day.

What if you disappear with my money, or the project folds in three months, or something else equally bizarre happens?

I know that every time you pre-order a watch with a company, you take a risk. Right at the moment, I have five different watches pre-ordered, and I know the anxiety that goes with that. It's tough, but my name and my pride are in this thing, and I promise that I'll do everything I can possibly do to make this work out for you. I said this was a project for WIS, and I meant it. At the end of the day, my goal is to make you a really cool watch at a really solid price.

What if I want one for free?

Fortunately, you can! I'm giving away three Tibers – one on Instagram sometime this week, one on Facebook, and one only for the WIS here at Watchuseek. All you need to do is tell me which color you like better, and tell me what you would like to see for a stretch goal, and you'll be entered to win a free Tiber, shipping covered by me. If you pledged on a watch, your payment will be refunded with your watch when it ships. Winning is dependant on a successful KS campaign, and the winner will be chosen at random using a random number generator at the end of the campaign.

Cheers!
Scott

·
Registered
517 Posts
Re: River Watch Co. Tiber Diver Kickstarter and Giveaway!

Congrats Scott. Been watching this come to fruition for a good long time now. Both models look great, but I prefer the vintage...its old school. Stretch goal would definitely be a bracelet, but maybe PVD would be pretty awesome too.

Good luck with the Kickstarter and your new brand.

Reactions: thekody

·
Registered
14,905 Posts

Hi Scott, first off your presentation here is top shelf, after reading your thoughts above i can see theres nothing you havnt thought about, i'd feel safe buying into a project from you.

Im not on FB or any social media apart from here but i'd love to have a go.

Your design is sweet mate, very clean, classy, uncluttered, lovely choice of the size and locations of the crowns, very nice dial and hands, classic case, classy logo.

Black dial is my fav as im a black dial divers lover,

Stretch goals, shark mesh or SS bracelet, non tapered, would look fantastic on both.

cheers and the best of luck with your project and sales, i think youll sell plenty.

·
Registered
9,453 Posts

White dial would be my preference.

I would agree with Cobia that a shark mesh bracelet stretch goal would be very cool.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the well wishing! We're certainly excited. So far I'm seeing bracelet as a theme for stretch goals. Keep the ideas coming!

·
Registered
314 Posts
I lean more towards the black dial.

As for the stretch goal, like the others have said, adding a bracelet or nato as an option would be nice!

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
Really looking forward to this one Scott. Congrats on getting to this point and I hope the campaign is a big success!!

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
It is very good looking and don't look like everything else like a lot of the KS watches!
I great stretch goal would be as others said a bracelet, or mesh.. And the silver dialed is sexy :-D

-Sent using Rock, Paper and the occasional Scissors-

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
Good luck with your campaign!

I love that silver but I prefer the black myself. I also think a nice rubber strap or a nato would be a great stretch goal.

Cheers!
Welcome to WUS Macsmith230 and nice to see a fellow Washingtonian. :)

Reactions: SRBakker

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Congratulations and best of luck on your endeavor. I find myself in a conundrum your black dialed watch on that strap is absolutely beautiful however I've been promising myself a white/silver dialed diver. My best solution is to win the black dialed watch and then buy the white dialed one. That way everyone wins, except of course the other contestants. ;-)

·
Registered
123 Posts
First, they simply both look amazing! Can't wait to check this out on Kick Starter and best of luck to you.! The black dial watch is probably my favorite, but i don't have a white dialed watch in my collection so me personally would probably get that.

I think Nato's are a good stretch goal as they won't cost you too much and provide a great look but who could argue with a bracelet :)

·
Registered
723 Posts
Great looking dual crown diver, and it would be hard to choose between them but I think the silver dial with blue lume is more distinctive and would be my vote. I think a mesh bracelet would look great with this watch. Good luck on the Kickstarter!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
656 Posts
Beautiful looking design, and I think, were I to jump in on one, I'd go for the silver dial with blue lume as it catches the eye better, in my opinion!

·
Registered
985 Posts
It's good to see a no date watch for once. The black dial looks very nice.

I'm a bracelet guy so I'd love to see a bracelet with fitted ends be a stretch goal choice. Short of that, will the case be able to accept an aftermarket bracelet, like the wjean oyster bracelet or something similar, in the event no oem bracelet is ever produced for the watch?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Been waiting for this launch for a while, Silver for me.

Stretch goals are a tough one when the initial package is so complete as is.

I'd do a few stretch goals, one with Nato as you're planning,later one with bracelet, after that Mesh, and lastly if possible some diver inspired limited edition box like a diving bell, or diving helmet or something similar. Maybe a nice box with a glass window shaped like a diving mask.

This one will definitely get funded, but best of luck with the KS launch anyway

1 - 20 of 291 Posts