WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Roamer Power 8 - swiss made quartz - does not power

20K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Jazzper 
#1 ·
See less See more
#2 ·
What does the ISA website say? Eta always publishes their information.

#5 ·
wow, no wonder I couldn't find them. In terms of search engine optimization they (by accident i hope) did everything to not be found by search engines...

I see the current 8171 is the folluw up of the 8161 and i guess the 8151 was the predecessor of that one.

some technical drawings but nothing on replacing the battery. I'll try an email to isa swiss.

#6 ·
I have a Roamer Power 8
(...)

Any clues to revive it?
Well, start with measuring it's "heartbeat" with multimeter.

When there are impulses generated every second, conclusion can be drawn that electronic module is OK. It may than suggest that coil/coils of step motor/motors is not OK.

When no "heartbeat" is detected than electronic module is out of order.
I doubt in simple reasons like damaged quartz cristal or bad electrical connections.

Probably you will end up with replacing the whole movement with ISA equivalent. Please keep us informed.

#8 ·
Rules are always the same for quartz movement, so here is a link to Seiko 6922 movement:

SeikoTechnicalManuals/6922A_6923A.pdf

See "Check current consumption" on page 7.

Personally, I have gotten an old analog multimeter with 1,5 V battery, so I don't measure current consumption with silver battery. I just measure the resistance on connectors in battery compartment. And when module is OK, I see 1 second pulses ("heartbeat":-!) on meter's hand.
PS - when there is 9V battery in multimeter, you can't use it in this manner. No way - than you have to measure current consumption as in Seiko manual.

#9 ·
oh man, this is to addictive.
Tried to plot the information in the seiko tech manual onto my own movement but cant figure it out. It seems, if measurements are right, the movement consumes 3uA where 1uA is max.

I dont know where to put the red and black pieces to measure to see a pulse.

So i still dont know if its electronic or mechanical.

I'm going to read more literature online and order a toolset. I'm hooked. This watch shall move again!

#10 ·
oh man, this is to addictive.
Tried to plot the information in the seiko tech manual onto my own movement but cant figure it out. It seems, if measurements are right, the movement consumes 3uA where 1uA is max.

I dont know where to put the red and black pieces to measure to see a pulse.

So i still dont know if its electronic or mechanical.

I'm going to read more literature online and order a toolset. I'm hooked. This watch shall move again!
You probably have digital multimeter which refreshes it's display every second so you won't be able to observe 1 second pulses of the movement. Old analog is better for this purpose.

Movement is not mechanical. It's typical quartz movement with analog display.

#11 ·
Re: Roamer Power 8 - swiss made quartz - update: chrono function incorrect?

ok

now it works (dont ask me how/why). At least the normal clock runs ok, but..

the second hand and the two subdials live there own life. I guess the chrono function is ruining it: Normally the red second hand is standing still at a random position. If i press the lower button it starts moving like crazy (to the position it should be i guess) and continues every second. So do the both subdials. But after a while (sometimes seconds) it stops again.

I found a sort of manual: http://www.new-heights.co.za/files/Roamer Power 8 User Manual scan2797.pdf but this is not my exact model.

more info: page 26 lower watch of this pdf: http://www.mag-uhren.de/images/ROAMER_CATALOGUE2004.pdf

any clues?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.