WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone!!

I have a friend who is also into watches , however , my preferences veer towards sports watches and chronographs ( Breitlings , Rolexes, JLC Master Series) , and his preferences are for the "real" ( according to him) timepieces and he has a patek phillippe caltrava , an AP, a Breguet and a Blancpain.

However , recently he gave in to the needs of his active lifestyle and got a Panerai Contemporary Date.

He absolutely trounces it treating it like a cheap g-shock, wearing it to play golf and tennis and subjecting it to every possible abuse.( He even dropped it from his bedroom window accidentally ( a drop of about 12 feet)

Despite of taking more than a few knocks , apart from a few scratches the watch runs like new.

A previous thread on the site about the most shock proof breitlings got me wondering why no one posted any replies and whether breitlings would stand to such abuse , in absence of any systems like incabloc.

And really how shock proof are breitlings ?Any instances of breitlings holding up in the face of adversity?

·
Registered
8,242 Posts
hi everyone!!

I have a friend who is also into watches , however , my preferences veer towards sports watches and chronographs ( Breitlings , Rolexes, JLC Master Series) , and his preferences are for the "real" ( according to him) timepieces and he has a patek phillippe caltrava , an AP, a Breguet and a Blancpain.

However , recently he gave in to the needs of his active lifestyle and got a Panerai Contemporary Date.

He absolutely trounces it treating it like a cheap g-shock, wearing it to play golf and tennis and subjecting it to every possible abuse.( He even dropped it from his bedroom window accidentally ( a drop of about 12 feet)

Despite of taking more than a few knocks , apart from a few scratches the watch runs like new.

A previous thread on the site about the most shock proof breitlings got me wondering why no one posted any replies and whether breitlings would stand to such abuse , in absence of any systems like incabloc.

And really how shock proof are breitlings ?Any instances of breitlings holding up in the face of adversity?

Since you have gotten no resonse, I am obligated to respond. Seawolf Avenger will be an extremely tough watch. Superocean is an extremely tough watch. My B-2 has been put through things it never should have been put through and come out like a charm. Any true dive watch should function properly.

Todd

·
Registered
340 Posts
his preferences are for the "real" ( according to him) timepieces and he has a patek phillippe caltrava , an AP, a Breguet and a Blancpain.

although i know (or hope) that it's his opinion not yours, i'm still saying this: please don't post this kind of things 'cause i'm choleric and when I hear(read) words like "true timepieces'' O| .... the mulliner perpetual or the mulliner tourbillon are not "true timepieces" ?

well i don't want to start it ..... but i don't get any brand adversity based on the emotional factor..

..the looks are another thing : you can say that you don't like a watch brand 'cause their design doesn't please you--that I understand

so he's free to like whatever he wants but it's not ok IMHO to denigrate other people choices

hope you don't get it the wrong way , I meant no harm :gold
also i realize this is kinda offtopic lol (sorry for being choleric) lol

P.S. why he didn't bought a "true piece" Blancpain Air Command for heavy use?:gold

Merry Christmas Vineet :-!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Hey Todd !

why didn't you answer to my thread concerning the most sock-resistant B? :)

i want as many answers as i can get to certify (for me) that the Seawolf is the toughest B :gold

·
Registered
529 Posts
Hmm.

I'm going to have to say the Avenger series, Seawolf in particular (perhaps due to its record breaking depth max?). :think:

·
Breitling Forum Moderator
8,940 Posts
You know, in six years of posting here no one has taken this tack
"whether Breitlings would stand to such abuse , in absence of any systems like incabloc".
Who is playing games here? Breitling, supposedly, by selling $5k watches without incorporating the basic form of poise protection mechanism into their COSC certified movements or a new forum member posing the silliest question of the year? Get a grip man. They fly these watches at acrobatic jet speeds encountering all of the G forces and shocks you could hand out to a watch. They dive them to 10000 meters if necessary. They have been supplying models to the military, land, sea and air for many years. What are you talking about? And please realise this is not intended as an offensive post. I'm just nonplussed by some of the things that are said about Breitling time pieces.

·
Registered
340 Posts
You're right Snapit

Breitling made a model for the navy seals .... I don't know what more has to be said?!B-)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hey snapit,

have been a breitling fan and the 3rd generation in the family owning breitlings , i do not think that i would want to point fingers at breitling.

however , being a very careful ( and not very rich) civilian , i have never subjected my watches to any form of abuse apart from the occassional jog or swim , so just wondering.

I would give the same reaction in case a non-breitling guy would raise such questions , however this forum should be open to "rookie" questions without any need for the knee jerk reaction i got.

Hope you understand

cheers!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Vineet, is that your real name? I would like to call every one by their names, it's more friendly i think.... (mine is Tudor as you can see it in my signature:) )

anyways....I understand that you want to buy a tough Breitling? or you just want info on one? I would recomend the Seawolf wich is kinda growing on me too( but still not like the M.O.:) ) and i think i'll buy one in future...

I myself I'm no royalty :) so i take care of my GT but I'm not overprotective....i've bump it stuff real hard (without intent offcourse)
and still running great (+1.3s/d).....i think the watches that are presented by Breitling as being tough (and the GT doesn't fit in that category) are even more sturdy...so i guess any of those would satisfy your needs

also i think a good thing in your case (and in all cases if you ask me) would be to buy the B you like brand new, so you could avoid an unknow history of abuses...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hey tudor!

yup vineet is my name,

thanks for the advice buddy , any way , i do have a crosswind racing , navi world and datora , so content with the watches right now ,and am fiercely careful with the navitimers( more due to not wanting to scratch them) however am also not that careful of the crosswind( coz its brushed)

waiting to see any new dials in the chrono evo.

However ,i dont know why genuine interest( and maybe lack of knowledge) is viewed as disdain or irreverence here.

·
Registered
11 Posts
"whether Breitlings would stand to such abuse , in absence of any systems like incabloc".
Who is playing games here? Breitling, supposedly, by selling $5k watches without incorporating the basic form of poise protection mechanism into their COSC certified movements or a new forum member posing the silliest question of the year? Get a grip man. They fly these watches at acrobatic jet speeds encountering all of the G forces and shocks you could hand out to a watch. They dive them to 10000 meters if necessary. They have been supplying models to the military, land, sea and air for many years. What are you talking about? And please realise this is not intended as an offensive post. I'm just nonplussed by some of the things that are said about Breitling time pieces.

hey snapit,

have been a breitling fan and the 3rd generation in the family owning breitlings , i do not think that i would want to point fingers at breitling.

however , being a very careful ( and not very rich) civilian , i have never subjected my watches to any form of abuse apart from the occassional jog or swim , so just wondering.

I would give the same reaction in case a non-breitling guy would raise such questions , however this forum should be open to "rookie" questions without any need for the knee jerk reaction i got.

Hope you understand

cheers!
It's a real shame to see that as a moderator this Jerk gives no respect to any newbies on this forum at all. Search and you see the type of 'respect' he gave me and many others. I can deal without his respect and chose to not post due to his antics but could help it when he continues. There are other Breitling forums out there which treat all the members with respect, even newbies. I will PM you.

·
Pil-Mil, Breitling Forum Moderator
12,844 Posts
I agree completely with SnapIt...

Who is playing games here? Breitling, supposedly, by selling $5k watches without incorporating the basic form of poise protection mechanism into their COSC certified movements or a new forum member posing the silliest question of the year? Get a grip man. They fly these watches at acrobatic jet speeds encountering all of the G forces and shocks you could hand out to a watch. They dive them to 10000 feet if necessary. They have been supplying models to the military, land, sea and air for many years. What are you talking about? And please realise this is not intended as an offensive post. I'm just nonplussed by some of the things that are said about Breitling time pieces.
and I understand his reaction to the question. It puzzles me also as to why an experienced Breitling (3rd generation) owner would pose such a question. Even so, SnapIt clearly stated his reaction was not intended to be offensive. I'm thankful I am not so easily offended as vineet and cglenn else I would and should have left this forum long ago. I know that SnapIt takes name calling for exactly what it is... petty, childish and indicative of the individual's character who does it. It is also against forum rules. In fact, it is against the rules of the "other" Breitling forums to which cglenn refers. I'm a member on 3 other Breitling forums and this one is IMHO still the BEST of any. It is the most liberal and informative (and popular) forum available. Best moderators and administrators as well. If cglenn and vineet find other forums more to their liking and taste, I wish them well. Thanks for stopping by.
Cheers,
Ron

·
Registered
955 Posts
I don't think that I have ever really "abused" my watches. That being said, I have never had an issue with any of my watches be it Seiko, Breitling, Panerai, etc.

I actually "feel" that my Breitling SO can take more shock abuse than my PAM, but it is not scientific...maybe something about the Unitas. To me this falls under the category of "Things I used to worry about"... shock, along with how much my watch is off everyday doesn't seem to concern me as much anymore. Maybe if I had a job as a professioanl clapper, I would be more concerned. :-D

I dive and fly with my watches and never have a concern. I guess all this rambling is my way of saying "I don't know" :-D , but I do respect your right to ask the question.

·
Registered
340 Posts
It's a real shame to see that as a moderator this Jerk gives no respect to any newbies on this forum at all. Search and you see the type of 'respect' he gave me and many others. I can deal without his respect and chose to not post due to his antics but could help it when he continues. There are other Breitling forums out there which treat all the members with respect, even newbies. I will PM you.
cglenn are you a woman?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts