WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
rocos.jpg
Picked this up on Amazon.com for $130. It's a quartz movement, and pretty thin. 41.8mm width w/o lug, 44.3mm with the crown, 45.3 lug to lug. I also have a Parnis Portuguese automatic and it's about the same size but thinner, about 10mm. It has an actual white dial that looks a bit pearlescent. It has a date complication at about 4:30 on the dial, just a cut in the dial, no framing. There is an actual chrono here, but the pushers don't click, you have to just push down firmly but gently till they start going. Otherwise the chrono works fine (not in a mechaquartz way, just the way quartz chronos do). Note though that the chrono is all on the subdials. The big second hand is a second hand and not connected to the chronograph. The band is a thick but comfortable band with a butterfly clasp (my first so there was some puzzling on how to size it and put it on. I'm sure there is a trick I don't understand yet). There is a silver buckle on the band that is signed Rocos in an understated way.

Obviously it's an homage to the IWC Portuguese Chrono (as is the Parnis, though the Parnis' complications are more along the lines of the IWC Portuguese power reserve). I do like the white better than the silver sunburst dial of the Parnis though both are attractive. Obviously, it's accurate (it's quartz). Over a few days, it's off by a second.

Really feels like a Chinese watch, though I don't know anything about it. Does anyone else know anything about them?

·
Premium Member
4,077 Posts
Per the Rocco’s site, they are designed in Ireland. I am supposing they are at least largely Chinese sourced if not actually assembled in China.

·
Premium Member
4,077 Posts
Per the Rocco’s site, they are designed in Ireland. I am supposing they are at least largely Chinese sourced if not actually assembled in China.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is interesting. The website is pretty basic but the contact information appears to be China. Maybe this is because that is where they are operating out of. I think they are selling through Amazon only, or so it seems.

You know, it's always kind of irritated me that I seldom actually am timing something with the chronograph on my watches and that HUGE second hand is ONLY used in chrono mode, leaving me a tiny hand for the seconds for the watch. This is the ONLY watch where the chrono is using all the small dials and the big second hand is actually a second hand. Probably annoys other people but I think it's pretty interesting.

·
Registered
8,748 Posts
Nice looking watch. |>

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
That is interesting. The website is pretty basic but the contact information appears to be China. Maybe this is because that is where they are operating out of. I think they are selling through Amazon only, or so it seems.

You know, it's always kind of irritated me that I seldom actually am timing something with the chronograph on my watches and that HUGE second hand is ONLY used in chrono mode, leaving me a tiny hand for the seconds for the watch. This is the ONLY watch where the chrono is using all the small dials and the big second hand is actually a second hand. Probably annoys other people but I think it's pretty interesting.
One reason I picked up this watch, the other was of course Popeye. My other chronos are the traditional sub dial running seconds hand.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
71,355 Posts
Can’t get the website to play nicely but as near as I can tell they seem to be sourced in China but I can’t find out it they are assembled there in totality or are nailed together elsewhere.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts