• Something completely different

Votes: 2 18.2%
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I hope to get some advice from all you beloved watch enthusiasts.

I am 36 years old, working in the sailing and scuba diving industry for over 10 years now and pretty much made my career by being at sea (above and under the water surface). And...i love watches!

About my current collection and wearing behavior:
I started collecting about two years ago, better said getting "into it". Ever since i spend a lot of time in forums, youtube and auction pages.
My current collection consists of a Speedy Moonwatch Pro Hesalite, an IWC Portugieser, Few Seiko Divers, A blue Alpinist, Some vintage Seamasters and so on. I tend to change watch every day, sometimes multiple times per day. Most worn is the speedy i guess. Got some nice scratches on the glass and i like it. I wear all my watches all the time and everywhere.

My plan that needs advice:
I am sure that i do want a Rolex Sub! I refused to do so, but there is no way around it ;)
I am diver, i like watches, i tend to have taste and i am not scared scarring the timepiece... so i guess i do actually need a sub!

Now the dilemma. Something tells me that the maxicase is too bulky and in your face. The new 2020 41 seems great with the slimmed lugs, but again is a bit sterile.
I have been friendly with the idea of finding my birth year model, what would be a 16800 Gloss dial, white gold frames Rolex 16800. Basically the newer version of the "transitional" model.

WHat is your opinion on this watch? Will it suit me, will it make me happy? What if i wear it under water, on my boat, on the beach.... will it survive my lifestyle?

So many questions bugging me! HELP ;)

Cheers and thank you so much for all your comprehensive feedback.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I wore a 16800 PRIOR to your birth year and wore it 24-7-365 for about 15 years.
Wore it for all offshore activities including Scuba Diving many, many times.....
I gave the watch to one of my daughters in 2015 and she wears it full-time as well.
Without a doubt I'd get a new 41mm Submariner (no-date) if I had your lifestyle now which includes Diving.

PS: I've never understood the mysticism around (USED) birth-year watches....it's so very, very special, yet some other random dude wore it doing god knows what while wearing it.

Buy new 41mm Submariner....No-Date or Date....in black.
The only other options are the Red-43-Sea-Dweller or A Blancpain 5015-Fifty Fathoms.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wore a 16800 PRIOR to your birth year and wore it 24-7-365 for about 15 years.
Wore it for all offshore activities including Scuba Diving many, many times.....
I gave the watch to one of my daughters in 2015 and she wears it full-time as well.
Hi, thank you for your reply. I dont fully understand why you advise against a watch that you have been happily wearing for over 15 years... Did i miss the point somewhere?

Cheers and thanks for the advice

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Hi, thank you for your reply. I dont fully understand why you advise against a watch that you have been happily wearing for over 15 years... Did i miss the point somewhere?

Cheers and thanks for the advice
I bought the 16800 because that was the offering back then.....
I then bought a white 16570 Explorer-II in the mid-90's and wore it 95% of the time for the next 20 years prior to giving that one to my other daughter in 2015 as well.
The new watches are are very nice and you get a new one to wear the hell out of and make it special on its own over the next few decades.

The Submariner is a wonderful watch, but I've seen many per week in airports and planes, plus the heavy slab-sides I drifted away from.

Were I you, I would DEFINITELY buy the new model....

·
Registered
11,585 Posts
I simply dont understand birth date watches - seems weird - especially the older I get - some tinny worn 55year old rattling sub costing 20k? - no thanks

Buy a new one and write the story into it yourself

The SD43 is to my mind the best dive watch in the world - I would take it over my Maxi Sub or new sub
The BP is lovely, but a bit too pretty for an every day sports watch

·
Registered
Blancpain, Glashutte Original, OWC, Sinn
1,407 Posts
I actually bought that watch in 1984, while I was in the service, and wore it for many years. If you like the drilled lugs (which I do and miss on the Modern Rolex watches), a janky bracelet (compared to a new Rolex bracelet), and non-glowing tritium markers and hands, by all means go buy one. I personally think that once you wear it for a while in every day life, the non glowing hands and dial on a dive watch are going to annoy you. You could pick one up that has a service hands and dial, but you are still going to pay about 75% of the cost of a new sub, for a watch that is at least in my opinion far inferior to a brand new Rolex Submariner in many ways.

My old 16800, which I finally sold in exchange for a 2006 submariner.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I also voted for a new Submariner.

The birth year Sub is now an old, rattling watch. It would have been worn by somebody else you don’t know and, as such, it won’t be as personal as a watch worn by you since day one, in which all marks and dings will be related to your experiences wearing it.

Unless you’re absolutely into a vintage piece, then I’d a say a new one is a much better choice.

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
Buy the 84' have it serviced and wear it. Much better than the new oddball sizes.

Reactions: kramamurthy

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Without a doubt I'd get a new 41mm Submariner (no-date) if I had your lifestyle now which includes Diving.

PS: I've never understood the mysticism around (USED) birth-year watches....it's so very, very special, yet some other random dude wore it doing god knows what while wearing it.

Buy new 41mm Submariner....No-Date or Date....in black.
The only other options are the Red-43-Sea-Dweller or A Blancpain 5015-Fifty Fathoms.
.... funny and of course, true.

·
Premium Member
15,800 Posts
Hello everyone,

I hope to get some advice from all you beloved watch enthusiasts.

I am 36 years old, working in the sailing and scuba diving industry for over 10 years now and pretty much made my career by being at sea (above and under the water surface). And...i love watches!

About my current collection and wearing behavior:
I started collecting about two years ago, better said getting "into it". Ever since i spend a lot of time in forums, youtube and auction pages.
My current collection consists of a Speedy Moonwatch Pro Hesalite, an IWC Portugieser, Few Seiko Divers, A blue Alpinist, Some vintage Seamasters and so on. I tend to change watch every day, sometimes multiple times per day. Most worn is the speedy i guess. Got some nice scratches on the glass and i like it. I wear all my watches all the time and everywhere.

My plan that needs advice:
I am sure that i do want a Rolex Sub! I refused to do so, but there is no way around it ;)
I am diver, i like watches, i tend to have taste and i am not scared scarring the timepiece... so i guess i do actually need a sub!

Now the dilemma. Something tells me that the maxicase is too bulky and in your face. The new 2020 41 seems great with the slimmed lugs, but again is a bit sterile.
I have been friendly with the idea of finding my birth year model, what would be a 16800 Gloss dial, white gold frames Rolex 16800. Basically the newer version of the "transitional" model.

WHat is your opinion on this watch? Will it suit me, will it make me happy? What if i wear it under water, on my boat, on the beach.... will it survive my lifestyle?

So many questions bugging me! HELP ;)

Cheers and thank you so much for all your comprehensive feedback.
If you intend to use the watch for diving as it is designed for, my suggestion is don't go vintage. A current 6-digit Sub will do that just fine, without having to worry about servicing or WR.

The thing is you CAN dive with a 5-digit reference Sub or SeaDweller, but you'll need to replace the crown/crystal/gaskets (dial and hands too if you needl lume) and make sure the midcase has no stainless steel pitting that will impair water resistance. Problem is, most vintage buyers value the originality of the watch parts and unless you don't care about the future value (or your initial acquisition costs) you'll probably be paying more than you have to, compared to a modern Sub.

That said, the above is assuming you can find a new one for sale at retail...

Just my $0.02.

·
Registered
Seikosha
1,394 Posts
Coming from a person with both... I'm also a recreational vacation diver but not a scuba pro like yourself.

I had the 2020 126610LN and have a 168000 1986.

I vote for the vintage. Sold the 126610LN, feel like it has no soul.

126610LN (or 116610LN)
The allure is totally different. The 126610LN is a larger and flashier watch. For myself, I'm not a big guy but IMHO these don't look like real tool watches anymore, they look like men's jewelry. For diving, they are very very sturdy. The end links are solid, the bracelet is solid, the glide lock is solid. They are warrantied for the next 5 years.

Some people love the "scratch proof ceramic" but if you love seeing some aging, that's one thing 6 digit ceramics aren't supposed to give you. It's tough to get from AD but it's YMMV. Maybe if you show them your credentials as a dive guy, they might find one for you quicker than others.

16800 is bordering on vintage. There are diff standards to vintage, some think it has to be 4 digit to be vintage, 5 digit, matte dial, patina, etc etc... basically it's a totally diff aesthetic. i love mine for its cream markers and hands. For 1984 you may even be able to get a matte dial if you're lucky and willing to fork up the cash.

But it will last. There are many many articles out there about legendary divers and their Rolex. You'll need to be a bit more diligent about maintenance.

The bracelet is not as great. It's got a rickety feeling as compared to the newer ones with hollow links and no glidelock. The head is slightly smaller than 6 digit and will feel even more so with the aluminum bezel. It's not a small watch but it doesn't command attention like the 6 digits do. It's a bit more under-the-cuff and non-assuming. I also find that it's more of a conversation starter amongst watch guys.

If you ever are indecisive just remember you can just swap in and out of them. they're subs, basically currency in the watch world.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts