WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always see people posting about the lack of availability with Rolex. When someone says that, are they referring to a specific model (i.e. GMT Pepsi), a model within a certain price point, or just the brand in general? I only have 1 AD within a 2 hour drive and they always seems to have a decent variety of oysters, datejusts and yachtmasters. From time to time they have a sub or Daytona. Just want to make sure I’m on the same page

·
Registered
9,041 Posts
IBTL.

·
Banned
1,225 Posts
I bought a new Explorer a few weeks ago. The turnaround from my requesting a quote to receiving the watch was less than a week.

Edit:
FWIW, I solicited quotes from two brokers and a grey market seller. Each conveyed the same message: there is no shortage of mainstream watches like Rolexes, APs, Pateks, VCs, etc.; however, there is a shortage if one is more desirous of buying certain watches directly from the brand's ADs than of getting the watch one wants in a timely manner.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
IBTL: In Befor The Lock
OBTL: Out Before The Lock

Whenever a thread is created in regard of Rolex availability, or prices, it always ends up in a saloon brawl and get locked by the moderator
Ah okay. I guess what I was asking was more of people’s experiences with their local ADs in regards to selection rather than the availability of specific models

·
Banned
1,225 Posts
IBTL: In Befor The Lock
OBTL: Out Before The Lock

Whenever a thread is created in regard of Rolex availability, or prices, it always ends up in a saloon brawl and get locked by the moderator
OT:
I too wondered what that acronym means. TY for sharing.

What I don't get is why one would post IBTL and nothing else, i.e., something that pertains, even obliquely, to the thread topic. I mean, if one has nothing substantive to contribute to the discussion, what's the point of posting at all?​

·
Premium Member
11,553 Posts
I always see people posting about the lack of availability with Rolex. When someone says that, are they referring to a specific model (i.e. GMT Pepsi), a model within a certain price point, or just the brand in general? I only have 1 AD within a 2 hour drive and they always seems to have a decent variety of oysters, datejusts and yachtmasters. From time to time they have a sub or Daytona. Just want to make sure I’m on the same page
Which model(s) of Rolex are you considering, and what is your specific reason for opening this thread? Are you motivated by attaining 100 posts as quickly as possible in order to sell on WUS? There is a wealth of information that can be obtained by reviewing various threads on this forum, including learning the reasons why threads similar to the one you just opened tend to be closed (locked) by one of the Moderators sooner than later. I strongly suspect this one will not be an exception.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Which model(s) of Rolex are you considering, and what is your specific reason for opening this thread? Are you motivated by attaining 100 posts as quickly as possible in order to sell on WUS? There is a wealth of information that can be obtained by reviewing various threads on this forum, including learning the reasons why threads similar to the one you just opened tend to be closed (locked) by one of the Moderators sooner than later. I strongly suspect this one will not be an exception.
I have 0 intentions of selling anything. Im just curious of people’s experiences at their ADs. For me personally if I was looking for an oyster, datejust, or yacht master at my local AD I would have no issue finding one. Is that the case at your local AD or is your scope of availability different? Is a certain model/family difficult to come by or is it the brand in general? I’m just curious what people mean when they say availability is an issue and what their experiences are.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Which model(s) of Rolex are you considering, and what is your specific reason for opening this thread? Are you motivated by attaining 100 posts as quickly as possible in order to sell on WUS? There is a wealth of information that can be obtained by reviewing various threads on this forum, including learning the reasons why threads similar to the one you just opened tend to be closed (locked) by one of the Moderators sooner than later. I strongly suspect this one will not be an exception.[/QUOTE]

I should also note I am not actively looking to buy a Rolex at the moment

·
Banned
1,225 Posts
Ah okay. I guess what I was asking was more of people’s experiences with their local ADs in regards to selection rather than the availability of specific models
As go the local ADs for Rolex, they didn't have pea turkey squat that I wanted. The closest thing to a Rolex I wanted and that they had in stock was a light grey Yachtmaster and a gold Yachtmaster. They had a few Oyster Perpetuals and DateJusts, but not the variants that interested me.

I asked when they would get more models in, and they said they didn't know. (They said the same of Patek. There are no AP ADs, only AP's boutiques.)

Upon hearing that and having previously discussed the matter with three other sellers, I thought, "Eff that! I have neither the time nor will to wait indefinitely for a goddamned watch." And that is why I availed myself of a broker's services.

My approach to buying watches may differ from other WUS members'. I decided in February that I wanted several new watches, and serendipity connected me with a collector who has a ton of nice watches. He taught me about watches in general and let me try on his watches that I liked. I then identified a short list and solicited quotes. I accepted two quotes, one for several watches bought as a package, and one for one watch. The latter quote was not delivered on in the agreed time window, so I cancelled my order for that watch.

My overall approach started from the standpoint of my knowing I would buy five or six watches and that insofar as I liked multiple models of each watch category I defined for myself, I was largely indifferent among the watches in each category. Thus, all I had to do was determine how much I was willing to spend, and upon receiving the quotes, choose based on what combination cost the least and provided a watch for each category.

That's what I did, and I got what I wanted and I'm very happy with my newly enhanced watch wardrobe.
- Royal Oak
- Explorer
- Supermarine
- Hydrocarbon
- Alpinist
- Tank (the watch I have worn for the past 30+ years and that I felt "needed a rest")
I got five new watches and came in ~$4000 under budget.

What may make my approach different from others is that I know I will be satisfied with any of the watches I determined that I like, and I have no difficulty determining what I like. Thus I didn't have to be that picky about which watches I bought from among those I like. I just needed to decide how much I wanted to spend and select something that (a) I'd tried on so as to be sure I like the watch and (b) that was available., which was so for all the watches I liked.

The collector I met gave me some advice that dovetailed nicely with my "native" approach to buying things, including watches. He told me to eschew any brand - pricey, moderate or inexpensive - whereby I could not find it carried in a brick and mortar store in DC, Philly or NYC. He said that while there are many such great watches, there was absolutely no reason, given my objectives for getting watches, to buy any of them. He also said not to buy anything I hadn't tried on first. I heeded his advice seeing as he has more watches than I was even willing to look at.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
As go the local ADs for Rolex, they didn't have pea turkey squat that I wanted. The closest thing to a Rolex I wanted and that they had in stock was a light grey Yachtmaster and a gold Yachtmaster. They had a few Oyster Perpetuals and DateJusts, but not the variants that interested me.

I asked when they would get more models in, and they said they didn't know. (They said the same of Patek. There are no AP ADs, only AP's boutiques.)

Upon hearing that and having previously discussed the matter with three other sellers, I thought, "Eff that! I have neither the time nor will to wait indefinitely for a goddamned watch." And that is why I availed myself of a broker's services.

My approach to buying watches may differ from other WUS members'. I decided in February that I wanted several new watches, and serendipity connected me with a collector who has a ton of nice watches. He taught me about watches in general and let me try on his watches that I liked. I then identified a short list and solicited quotes. I accepted two quotes, one for several watches bought as a package, and one for one watch. The latter quote was not delivered on in the agreed time window, so I cancelled my order for that watch.

My overall approach started from the standpoint of my knowing I would buy five or six watches and that insofar as I liked multiple models of each watch category I defined for myself, I was largely indifferent among the watches in each category. Thus, all I had to do was determine how much I was willing to spend, and upon receiving the quotes, choose based on what combination cost the least and provided a watch for each category.

That's what I did, and I got what I wanted and I'm very happy with my newly enhanced watch wardrobe.
- Royal Oak
- Explorer
- Supermarine
- Hydrocarbon
- Alpinist
- Tank (the watch I have worn for the past 30+ years and that I felt "needed a rest")
I got five new watches and came in ~$4000 under budget.

What may make my approach different from others is that I know I will be satisfied with any of the watches I determined that I like, and I have no difficulty determining what I like. Thus I didn't have to be that picky about which watches I bought from among those I like. I just needed to decide how much I wanted to spend and select something that (a) I'd tried on so as to be sure I like the watch and (b) that was available., which was so for all the watches I liked.

The collector I met gave me some advice that dovetailed nicely with my "native" approach to buying things, including watches. He told me to eschew any brand - pricey, moderate or inexpensive - whereby I could not find it carried in a brick and mortar store in DC, Philly or NYC. He said that while there are many such great watches, there was absolutely no reason, given my objectives for getting watches, to buy any of them. He also said not to buy anything I hadn't tried on first. I heeded his advice seeing as he has more watches than I was even willing to look at.
Sounds quite similar to my AD. I’m located in Buffalo, NY so unfortunately the number of higher end brands is limited with ADs. Luckily Toronto isn’t far away but buying would be difficult

·
Registered
20,407 Posts
Before all the shops were shut down my AD had a load of DJ’s and a few precious metal models, no steel sports at all.

I live in the south of the U.K.

·
Registered
867 Posts
The reason it’s difficult to take your post seriously is that it’s so vague and general as to be almost meaningless. If you research the topic you’re interested in you’ll find a plethora of threads discussing the availability of Rolex at various ADs around the world.
Your question is like starting the following thread: Hey guys, I really enjoy wearing my Rolex. I don’t care what other people think about me. What’s your experience? I just want to make sure I’m on the same wavelength as everyone else. ;)))))

·
Registered
5,498 Posts
Bugs me when people get offended over a simple question rather than posting a simple answer. We’re all here for the same reasons.
Yeah. Maybe we can ask the mods to start a separate IBTL sub-forum, and everyone who posts those inane messages can just post there whenever they feel like it. They could probably even set it up to lock each thread there automatically after some randomly determined amount of time.

Reactions: MDNoobie
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.