WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been casually looking for a gold or silver very simple dress watch to wear for black tie events. I don't attend a ton but a few each year. I generally wear my twotone datejust since it is the dressiest watch I have at the moment.

I originally was looking at old gold omegas, very simple designs on a black strap. Even saw some old patek calatrava that were under 10k but ultimately more than I wanted to spend and the one I've seen in person was just too small for my taste.

I really never considered rolex, just didn't even enter my thoughts since they are so hot right now and to be honest I've completely overlooked the Cellini line.

My question is why are they so cheap? Am I missing something? Just not popular at the moment?

I can find plenty for around 5k. Slightly more than I wanted to spend for something I'll honestly use maybe 2-4 times a year. I just think sports watches look a little silly in black tie attire.

So ultimately I am looking for a smaller - 36mm is perfect but a bit smaller is ok dress watch and a lot of the Cellinis fit the bill. I'd like something a little more interesting and some of the Cellini have really nice simple yet interesting dials.

Tell me what I should know, what I should look for, and any tips or suggestions you have about the line.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
I've never been a fan of the Cellini line. Were I shopping for something older and dressy, a Vacheron Constantin would be on my radar. That's an old money watch (well, along with a Timex...).

·
Registered
244 Posts
i'm not a fan of the cellini, really. in my opinion, if you're looking for the one and done dress watch, you can't go wrong with a patek 5120J on a black leather strap

·
Premium Member
32,526 Posts
I've been casually looking for a gold or silver very simple dress watch to wear for black tie events. I don't attend a ton but a few each year. I generally wear my twotone datejust since it is the dressiest watch I have at the moment.

I originally was looking at old gold omegas, very simple designs on a black strap. Even saw some old patek calatrava that were under 10k but ultimately more than I wanted to spend and the one I've seen in person was just too small for my taste.

I really never considered rolex, just didn't even enter my thoughts since they are so hot right now and to be honest I've completely overlooked the Cellini line.

My question is why are they so cheap? Am I missing something? Just not popular at the moment?

I can find plenty for around 5k. Slightly more than I wanted to spend for something I'll honestly use maybe 2-4 times a year. I just think sports watches look a little silly in black tie attire.

So ultimately I am looking for a smaller - 36mm is perfect but a bit smaller is ok dress watch and a lot of the Cellinis fit the bill. I'd like something a little more interesting and some of the Cellini have really nice simple yet interesting dials.

Tell me what I should know, what I should look for, and any tips or suggestions you have about the line.
LOL. They’re cheap because there’s no demand for it and they depreciated like any other watch.

I don’t think you’ll be in a bad position of you bought one of those. Nothing really to advice against. Post a link to one that you fancy and people here can chime in.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
They are a fantastic watch, very well made, but suffer from the polar opposite situation than what their stainless steel sports watches enjoy. The solid case back throws off many people who want to see 'horology' through the sapphire back. They did make the Cellini Prince which is square but shows a very nice movement through the display back. They hold a little more value than other Cellinis but that line is still the b*stard calf of the Rolex family.

Very well put together, though. Pretty tough, too. Phil Mickelson at times will wear his Cellinis while playing golf.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
i'm not a fan of the cellini, really. in my opinion, if you're looking for the one and done dress watch, you can't go wrong with a patek 5120J on a black leather strap

The guy says 5k is more than he’s looking to spend and so you recommend a 15k watch.

It must be lovely to not care about money.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
OP to answer your query, there’s nothing wrong with the line, they just aren’t what Rolex is famous for.

Demand is low because getting into Rolex for many is a DateJust or. Submariner or an Oyster Perpetual and so on. Buy one pre-owned, someone else has taken the depreciation hit and you have a nice watch for very close to your budget with the Rolex build quality.

·
Registered
6,766 Posts

So that's 200% more expensive and looks like a cheap '80s Longines or a Rotary. A tragic case of brand fixation.

The disdain for Cellini amongst many Rolex brand adherents is almost a meme. It doesn't matter how good they are, or how beautiful they look, they're Cellini, not Oyster - and that's all there is to it.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I must say... I'm generally not a fan of Rolex, but the Moonphase in Gold is objectively a really lovely dress watch. I wonder if people went over it with a loupe? Is it well-finished? Have to research...

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
As usual, I prefer the case lines and profile of a Rolex and the Cellini is no exception.
I prefer the Cellini look over most Calatravas, etc.....and the price is pretty good.

·
Premium Member
32,526 Posts
As usual, I prefer the case lines and profile of a Rolex and the Cellini is no exception.
I prefer the Cellini look over most Calatravas, etc.....and the price is pretty good.
Well, one can have a brand new Cellini Moonphase at MSRP when you look at some of the crazy prices of some used Rolex watches at the moment.

·
Registered
10,684 Posts

Everything I dislike in a watch, is right here! :LOL:

Reactions: BundyBear

·
Registered
100 Posts
The Cellini has lower prices because it is not popular. I think this is probably because of some combination of not being a sports model in the Rolex lineup and not having a definitive design identity like most of Rolex's other models. I find it odd that the brand name "Rolex" was chosen because it is a short name that is easy to pronounce in any language, but then for this dress model Rolex goes out and picks a forgettable name that has different pronunciations (Sellini? Chellini?).

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
So that's 200% more expensive and looks like a cheap '80s Longines or a Rotary. A tragic case of brand fixation.

The disdain for Cellini amongst many Rolex brand adherents is almost a meme. It doesn't matter how good they are, or how beautiful they look, they're Cellini, not Oyster - and that's all there is to it.
If it makes you feel any better, I’m a bit of a brand adherent and I like them.

Rolex is in danger of being seen as a one trick pony (one Oyster, many lengths etc) and this line diversified what they do and is home to some lovely pieces. The rectangular Prince being one of them - beautiful watch, even if it would struggle for a place in my stable.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Anyone have any wrist shots they can post? I honestly was looking at no name or cheap gold dress watches for a long time for that one occasion but the watch guy in me won’t let me wear a cheap watch. Seems like these Rolex are a relative bargain. I also have to say I’m a bit of a snob when it comes to names. Personal fault. I’d rather have a used Rolex than say a Tissot or longines. Ironically I won a longines and love it though.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts