WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all,
I have been looking and searching for the right watch for me and I have come to a conclusion.
The Rolex Date 15200 (SS). The right size for my girly wrists, and not too flashy for daily London wear.
I have found a reputable second hand dealer near Bond Street in London and they have many models, my only problem is I can't decide on what colour to get.

I can't decide between
Blue:
watch-club-rolex-date-blue-dial-3426-402x402.jpg

Black:
steel_date_black_dial_close.JPG

And Silver:
15200-1.jpg

I'd love to know everyone's opinion about these three, and what people think about these colours.

Thanks a lot,

Tim

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
I've owned all 3 colours on a Date and my comment is this: The Silver has the least amount of contrast between the dial and hands, so in the bright light of day or in a darkened environment light night, it can be difficult to tell time. That may or may not be a problem in London.

The Blue that you've pictured has a metallic gloss to it and thus changes tone depending on lighting conditions. It can look almost glossy black under some conditions and bright blue under others. It's like having a multi coloured watch dial. Contrast is high.

The Black of course has the high contrast and is just plain and simply a great look.

All 3 options will go with anything.

Silver was my first Rolex Dial and I didn't change it from 1976 until 1988, mostly because I didn't know I could. I chose black as my second dial and then swapped that one out for Blue. This was from an era when you were given back the old dial, so in the end, I had a Date watch with 3 dials. It made it very easy to sell as a kit about 10 years ago. I recently acquired a Tudor Prince Date...the same size as the Date, and swapped a white dial (with little contrast) for the black, and am very happy with my choice.

You cannot go wrong. Just take your time and as is often said, the right one will sing to you when it's time to choose.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I agree with Kawika. I'd only add that the lighter colours tend to wear larger.

I think you should give careful thought to the Date versus Datejust decision. The trend toward larger sizes is well established
and the 36mm Datejust may be a better choice. Rolex now makes the Datejust II in 41mm. My experience is that a watch, like
a new vehicle, becomes smaller and more comfortable with use.

All the best. John

1 - 3 of 3 Posts