WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, have you ever seen discoloration/corrosion of a Rolex crown that is on a dial of the 18038 Rolex Day-Date?

Or I should be worried, because there is a problem e.g. with a replaced dial?

Thanks in advance.

IMG_2465.jpg IMG_2469.jpg

·
Registered
27 Posts
Wow thats really interesting, I take it you have not owned this watch from new? I was under the impression the crown was made from the same material as the indices, so maybe this is evidence of something malicious?

Assuming you are not the first owner, where did you purchase the watch and what documentation do you have?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, you guessed it right. I'm not the first owner. I bought it at a reputable dealer in Rome with box and papers. The indices and the crown are made of gold, as far as I remember. Hence, the question.

·
Registered
4,821 Posts
Rolex crown and indices are made of gold, and should therefore NEVER corrode. Gold may tarnish, but not to that extent. The dial must undoubtedly be a fake. Perhaps the entire watch is. Time for a return and to recoup your funds. Good luck sorting this out.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I took the watch to my authorised Rolex wacthmaker. He said that I shouldn't worry. The dial is correct and original. The crown just oxidised and it's purely esthetical issue. He said if I don't like it he can exchnage it. New orignal Rolex dial costs around 700 USD, but I would have to give back the old one. I don't think I want to do that.

·
Registered
5,498 Posts
Google, "can gold turn black". There are lots of reasons gold of less than 24K can turn black.

·
Registered
4,821 Posts
Google, "can gold turn black". There are lots of reasons gold of less than 24K can turn black.
What you are referring to applies to gold which is worn as jewelry and is exposed to the elements and has skin contact. Not to a gold dial cased in a 100 meters water resistant case. Besides 18ct gold shouldn’t tarnish to that extent in such a short period of time. Tarnish usually occurs in 14ct gold or less.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
It REALLY doesn't look right to me.

I have a 1965 two tone with a 9kt gold crown and its as bright as a button.

I have a 1970 Datejust with a white gold crown and that is as bright as a button.

I have a 63 Precision with a gilt crown and that looks a bit brown - but not like that one.....

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have good news. I had the watch serviced and I asked my watchmaker to take a look at the crow. He did and he just simply cleaned it. Apparently, it was simply slightly oxidised on the top. It looks like new right now. You can check my IG account: @analogueguys. Thanks everyone for help. No need to replace the dial.

·
Banned
189 Posts
I have good news. I had the watch serviced and I asked my watchmaker to take a look at the crow. He did and he just simply cleaned it. Apparently, it was simply slightly oxidised on the top. It looks like new right now. You can check my IG account: @analogueguys. Thanks everyone for help. No need to replace the dial.
Nice to know it's nothing serious.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts