Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i know its a Rolex.
i know its a super classic, world wide recognized design
i know its 43mm

but $8,975 ?

·
Premium Member
5,733 Posts
Sure, I'd pay it and plan to do so, as soon as mine comes in around the end of the summer/early fall.b-)

·
Registered
294 Posts
If it came with a free tank of gas, I'm all for it! :-d We're being gouged out here in the Bay Area!..

But seriously, I'm already waaay overpaying for gasoline, and I don't even want to buy that,.. so sure, why not overspend almost $9K on an item I actually WANT!..(then again, when have I ever heard anyone say Rolexes were a good bargain at full list price?! ... well, the s/s Daytona's being an exception of course, because that WOULD be a bargain)

·
Banned
3,758 Posts
I might get one but I am not going to pay that much. I am going to have to look at one in person first. I am a little afraid that it suffers from the 'low ratio of dial diameter to case diameter syndrome'. Rolex is basically making a larger diameter case but not increasing the dial size. So now you have a watch that is bigger but possibly not much more visible than the old SeaDweller except that it is a maxi dial and hands. This may not look that great. Also from what I can tell the current SD 4000 ft model is still being made and not scheduled for cancellation at this time.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I voted, "No." The more educated I become about watches, the less appealing paying for the name becomes for me...To many of my peers buy Rolex like mindless drones because they want people to believe, "they've made it." Rolex is a stellar product, but the overall experience is not for me. Looking towards UTS, JL, Clerc, and a few others for the next project.

·
Registered
17,513 Posts
I'm undecided. by the time it comes out at least one price increase will happen and even with a discount, its still going to be at the current price.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
To me it is still a Rolex, and if I was to spend $9k on a watch, there would be quite a few I would choose before a Rolex.

·
Registered
Too many Speedys!
1,885 Posts
I'm undecided. by the time it comes out at least one price increase will happen and even with a discount, its still going to be at the current price.
Yeah, lucky those Rolex ADs offer such great discounts, huh?:-d

Anyway, I saw that someone above posted about preferring a submariner. Unless you have held these watches side by side, tried them on, you can't really know how different they are. I was torn betwen the original SD and the SM initially. In person, though, it became all too obvious what a lightweight the submariner is compared to the more solid feeling heft of the Sea Dweller. I would imagine it is even less substantial compared to the Deep Sea. Just preference perhaps, but alot of guys around here put stock in big heavy watches. I could barely tell I had the submariner on my wrist. Needless to say, when even the wife was more impressed with the Sea Dweller, that's what I settled on...

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Sorry, but this watch looks ridiculous, imho. Even with its larger size, why would anyone choose this over a GP SeaHawk, or a Breitling Superocean - which isn't to my taste, but looks a darn sight better than this monstrosity - when it looks similar to its predecessor, with the same boring (please spare me the "classical and timeless lines" talk, its a boring looking watch, period) styling, with a bit of added gaudiness?

Not only does the plethora of writing on the dial clutter a nice black dial, just look at those crown guards...and that stupid "original gas lock valve" nonsense near the bezel - WTF were the designers thinking? And I assume its not got an anti-reflective crystal, making it all but unreadable in direct sunlight...:roll:

I do know one thing about this watch: Someone will plump up the money for it, purely because its says Rolex on the dial.

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
I'll buy the SD-DS and I will pay what ever it costs me at the time, which will probably be considerably less than most others outside of my market will be paying. I'll buy it because it's been incredibly engineered, is the deepest mechanical piece available at the moment and because it's a 'Rolex'! I can't wait! ;-)

·
Banned
3,758 Posts
To me it is still a Rolex, and if I was to spend $9k on a watch, there would be quite a few I would choose before a Rolex.
To me I see it this way.

To me it is still a Rolex, and if I was to spend $9k on a watch, there would be VERY few I would choose before a Rolex.

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
I like the standard SD not so much this one. Does anyone know are they still making the standard SD?

The SD has been discontinued, get one now. ;-)

·
Banned
3,758 Posts
Yeah, lucky those Rolex ADs offer such great discounts, huh?:-d

Anyway, I saw that someone above posted about preferring a submariner. Unless you have held these watches side by side, tried them on, you can't really know how different they are. I was torn betwen the original SD and the SM initially. In person, though, it became all too obvious what a lightweight the submariner is compared to the more solid feeling heft of the Sea Dweller. I would imagine it is even less substantial compared to the Deep Sea. Just preference perhaps, but alot of guys around here put stock in big heavy watches. I could barely tell I had the submariner on my wrist. Needless to say, when even the wife was more impressed with the Sea Dweller, that's what I settled on...

Regardless of heft, weight and size there might be one or two Divers out there that could possibly need more diving capability than a Submariner can provide. Other than depth capability the Seadweller is no tougher than the Sub.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
To me I see it this way.

To me it is still a Rolex, and if I was to spend $9k on a watch, there would be VERY few I would choose before a Rolex.

Nothing wrong with your statement, in fact I would guess that it would probably be around the 50/50 the opinion of Rolex/value.

On the other hand, the question was $9k... and for me I actually like the look of the watch... if it were $4-5k then my answer might would be different. But then again I am not likely to ever pay $9k for any watch, but if I were it would not be the Rolex brand...

·
Registered
658 Posts
I like most things about this watch, but it just has too much text on the dial. And that price tag ... wow wow wee waa! I can't see how that is justifiable.

I'll keep my eye out for the previous Sea-dweller, I think.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Dont me wrong,...I think its almost perfect 9/10,it would be a 10 if it didnt have that writing. But at that price:rodekaart It gives you a lot of options...

You could buy yourself a mint used SD, and a mint used Sub LV:-!

Or a mint used SD, a mint Doxa 5000T and a mint Omega Speedy or PO:-!

Or we a mint used SD, mint Kobold Seal, mint Omega, mint Doxa....:-!:-!:-!

Lots of possiblilities.......

1 - 20 of 67 Posts