WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been trying to follow all of the media on the Deepsea Challange with National Geographic and Rolex. I am curious if anyone has heard rumors of this becoming a production model. What kind of cost do you think rolex will command for it. Will it be limited production or even available at all? Most importantly,would you want it in your own collection? For me, it is honestly quite large, but what an amazing watch to have, and what a great story. if you are unfamiliar with this watch read about it here:
Rolex Deepsea Challenge | How to be Swell . Otherwise let the rumors fly, what have you guys heard?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Could it cost nearly 50% more than the Deepsea Dweller? :) Really nice big ass watch... Im into Breitling sizes, but the gasket/rehault is too big rather than the face itself? I think its same size as Deepsea. Only thing that the rehault is bigger.

Im think it will be a production model, I hope!

Def, a good watch to own whetever you want a bling bling / flashy big ass watch or a really nice diver this watch is a must if you got the cash. :) if it cost 50% more than the Deepsea I will go for 1xDS and 1x No Date submariner.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Cool piece of history, but I like to wear my watches and that thing is way too big to wear for me.

·
Rolex / Tudor
14,636 Posts
A bit ridiculous........Isn't it?? I would have to take a couple pounds out of my weight pocket to take it diving. IMHO, it is a rather interesting novelty, but that is about it.

·
Premium Member
11,949 Posts
I doubt the watch will ever be offered as a regular production model. It was, like the DSS before it, designed as a one-off for a specific deepsea mission ... and performed exactly as expected.

I suspect the designers and executives of Rolex cringe when they see some rapper or Jersey Shore alumni wearing a diamond-encrusted Deepsea. They realize that, to the extent the watch is recognized as a Rolex, those who think the watch looks ridiculous think Rolex was ridiculous to make the watch in the first place (never mind that they didn't make anything but the base watch).

How do you think they'd feel if a Deepsea Challenge was blinged out with diamonds and other gems? Heck, for that matter, who would wear such a monstrosity in a normal setting? A production Deepsea Challenge would be great for "ooh's" and "aah's" on the WRUW threads and perhaps down at the dive shop. It might even be popular at the Player Hater's Ball. ;-) But at work? At the theatre? At a dinner party? At your kid's recital? I don't think so.

Rolex's reputation for superb engineering and design for watches capable of enduring the most cruel environment on the planet was enhanced by their production of first the DSS, and then the Deepsea Challenge. But their reputation as a credible source of tasteful, luxury watches would take it in the seat of the pants if they made the Challenge a regular offering. And I would be disappointed in them if they did.

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
the traveling exhibit was in Costa Mesa this weekend, so I stopped in to see it. Pretty large watch, one of ten made, one was given to JC. The manager's info is that it will not be a production piece.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow, thanks for the in person pics. must have been cool to see close up. it certainly does look like a monster.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts